The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #301
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Do you even know what the word "genocide" means? I ask, because you use it so freely and so improperly. You should double check your understanding. Reading what you actually *write* in situations like this make you even harder to understand than usual.

eta:

I've got it! You sound like tw when you write like this. You use "genocide" like he uses "wacko extremists". You both just plug that in when you feel some kind of stress--it's like a toddler that sucks his thumb. He's not actually hungry, but it feels so good. The biggest difference between your usage of "genocide" and tw's use of "wacko extremist" is that he's stating an opinion, while you're just misusing a word that has an objective definition. You know better, but you don't let that stop you.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #302
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

An American tourist was almost genocided in Canada recently.

Quote:
Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: "Been to the Stampede yet?"

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

If only he'd had a gun, maybe it would have turned out better.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #303
dmg1969
I got nothing

Yep, get rid of guns and everything will be just fine. Then, all I have to worry about is someone breaking into my house or approaching me on the street with...a knife, a sword, a golf club, a baseball bat, a 2x4 with nails embedded, a vicious dog, their fists, etc. None of those can be used to kill me. And luckily, I will have my hands and maybe some keys to defend myself. I noticed that nobody (at least in this thread) mentioned a recent spree killing in China using.....wait for it....a knife.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...826406388.html

One could argue that, had someone been carry a legally concealed weapon, they could have mitigated the damage the nut in CO. was causing.

My two cents as a supported of the Second Amendment and responsible gun owner. YMMV.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #304
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
If they don't like genocides, the nation won't ask for gun control.
Huh? Say what?

Quote:
Do you even know what the word "genocide" means? I ask, because you use it so freely and so improperly. You should double check your understanding. Reading what you actually *write* in situations like this make you even harder to understand than usual.
Thank you BigV.

Given the vast weapon technologies now available including everyone's fav - WMD's - there is no way a group targeted for genocide or even just collateral damage can defend itself against a powerful government. Or even a not so powerful one.

But feel free to acquire all the rocket launchers and tanks you can get your grubby hands on.

Quote:
Here come the helicopter -- second time today
Everybody scatters and hopes it goes away
How many kids they've murdered only God can say
If I had a rocket launcher...I'd make somebody pay.

I don't believe in guarded borders and I don't believe in hate
I don't believe in generals or their stinking torture states
And when I talk with the survivors of things too sickening to relate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would retaliate.

On the Rio Lacantun one hundred thousand wait
To fall down from starvation -- or some less humane fate.
Cry for Guatemala, with a corpse in every gate
If I had a rocket launcher...I would not hesitate.

I want to raise every voice -- at least I've got to try.
Every time I think about it water rises to my eyes.
Situation desperate echoes of the victims cry
If I had a rocket launcher...some sonofabitch would die
- Bruce Cockburn

Last edited by SamIam; 08-09-2012 at 12:01 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #305
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

The point is being missed here.

Sikhs are pacifists and wouldn't carry a gun even if they COULD.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #306
SamIam

Bin Laden lover!

Last edited by SamIam; 08-09-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: stupid typo
Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #307
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Not entirely true.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #308
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Close to home - 15yr old shot

This boy is a friend of my D16, they go to school together and he has been to my home. They're all my daughter's friends, actually.

The story I got from Michael Owens (my daughter's boyfriend and who was interviewed in the above article) was that a girl, another friend, stole the loaded gun from an unlocked car. She, Ryan, and another teen were playing with it and had actually removed the clip. But, being stupid kids, they didn't know there was still a bullet chambered. She pointed the gun at Ryan and he tried to knock her hand away, causing it to go off. The hollow point entered through his mouth and blew the side of his face off. So he's in ICU and stable, but will require extensive reconstructive surgery.

From what I understand, the girl will be charged with something (probably waiting to see if Ryan lives) as will the owner of the loaded gun left in an unlocked car.

All the kids involved in the incident as well as friends are very sobered and saddened.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #309
dmg1969
I got nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
The point is being missed here.

Sikhs are pacifists and wouldn't carry a gun even if they COULD.
Unless someone beat me to it...I believe there are Sikhs who serve in the U.S. military. in fact, they fought to be able to wear their (forgive my ignorance) head apparel.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #310
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The Wikipedia on "Sikh" is a very good read on their history, religion,
and particularly their tolerance of other peoples.

But becoming warriors was thrust upon them
... and they became very good at it !
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #311
SamIam

What Lamplighter said. Also, there was quite the Sikh empire around the 1600's and they didn't hang on to it by all holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

Sikh warrior's helmet from that same time period.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #312
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
... She, Ryan, and another teen were playing with it and had actually removed the clip. But, being stupid kids, they didn't know there was still a bullet chambered.
Not stupid, uneducated. If they had been acclimated to proper gun safety it probably wouldn't have happened.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #313
dmg1969
I got nothing

Exactly, Bruce. I was raised around guns and taught to respect them. When I went to a gun shop recently to look for a new gun, the shop owner commented that it was obvious to him that I grew up around guns. I asked him how. He said how I handled the gun...not putting my finger on the trigger, pointing it away from people, checking that it was unloaded after he handed it to me even though I had just seen him clear it. Some people were just not taught not to play with guns and they pay the price.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #314
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Yep, the safety of guns is directly related to the gun culture.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #315
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
Yep, get rid of guns and everything will be just fine. Then, all I have to worry about is someone breaking into my house or approaching me on the street with...a knife, a sword, a golf club, a baseball bat, a 2x4 with nails embedded, a vicious dog, their fists, etc. None of those can be used to kill me. And luckily, I will have my hands and maybe some keys to defend myself. I noticed that nobody (at least in this thread) mentioned a recent spree killing in China using.....wait for it....a knife.
I'll take my chances against a knife, a sword, a golf club, a baseball bat, a 2x4 with nails embedded, a vicious dog, fists rather than a gun, how about you?

Quote:
One could argue that, had someone been carry a legally concealed weapon, they could have mitigated the damage the nut in CO. was causing.
One could argue that the damage could have been mitigated if the guy hadn't had a gun. The damage would have been mitigated if he'd only had a knife, a sword, a golf club, a baseball bat, a 2x4 with nails embedded, a vicious dog, or his fists.

Quote:
Exactly, Bruce. I was raised around guns and taught to respect them. When I went to a gun shop recently to look for a new gun, the shop owner commented that it was obvious to him that I grew up around guns. I asked him how. He said how I handled the gun...not putting my finger on the trigger, pointing it away from people, checking that it was unloaded after he handed it to me even though I had just seen him clear it. Some people were just not taught not to play with guns and they pay the price.
Then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
How about this proposal: anyone can have any kind and number of guns they want, but if your first trial determines that someone is negligent or criminal, they are immediately executed. No appeals. Since people kill people, and all.