The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #16
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
In effect, people had better start praying for a two party split between the executive and legislative branches because Alito seems to be a guy who is unwilling to put on any brakes when it comes to executive power.
I bet if a liberal occupied the White House, Alito would find a way to put the brakes on.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #17
mrnoodle
bent

*peeks into thread, runs screaming*
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
warch
lurkin old school

Bad timing on those domestic spy crimes. I like old Specter loaded for bear.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I bet if a liberal occupied the White House, Alito would find a way to put the brakes on.
I'd like a chance to test that theory. Of course, finding a liberal who advocates torture and domestic spying might be difficult.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #20
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Or at least willing to admit to torture and domestic spying.

Denial is a river that runs deep, wide and fast.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
warch
lurkin old school

Well I heard about the Specter-Kennedy fireworks. Hmmm.
I am sliding more anti Alito. He's not reassuring me in any way that he is a good guy been spun, that he would uphold the judiciary checks, protect privacy, or individual citizens. His resume padding and convenient inability to recollect professional activities from his mid 30s as well as his mid 20s....all spell weasel to me.
Moderate, just give us a moderate. Sandra, why you gotta do me this way?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #22
Griff
still says videotape

Now warch, you are not sliding anywhere, he's not pro-choice that's your litmus test. Now myself, I'm totally balanced. He apparently likes Presidents to be considered wee-gods and would give them the powers of god-men so I'm sliding toward no freaking way. If he really loves Presidential power as much as is reported he is no conservative. I'm gonna do some digging.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Youse guys can slide left, slide right or electric slide. Makes no difference to the powers that be 'cause you don't have the donation receipts to back it up.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #24
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, he was asked why out of all of the groups could have picked to put on his resume, he picked Concerned Alumni of Princeton, a group that after he left Princeton developed an outspoken rightist stance on admissions policies.

His best answer was that he didn't recall any participation with the group and that he thought it would look good on his resume to the Reagan administration.

In other words, it was important enough that it looked good on a resume to the White House, but unimportant enough that his membership does not reflect his views.

Talk about threading a needle.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I know that this isn't directly relevant to any of the proceedings, but ...

You can probably tell a lot more about a man who has been a judge by finding out how he treated his law clerks.

Anybody hear any dirt?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #26
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

No, but I'll bet that if he knocked any of 'em up, he didn't pay for the abortion.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 AM   #27
gaidin
Complex Simpleton

alito is, at this point, willing to do anything to get this job. it really is a dream job for a lot of people and being a puppet isn't a big deal to him i guess
gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #28
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaidin
alito is, at this point, willing to do anything to get this job. it really is a dream job for a lot of people and being a puppet isn't a big deal to him i guess
Alito is a sure confirmation for one simple reason. He has demonstrated he is a good judge. I wish we could say same about Justice Clarence Thomas who somehow does not have the same grasp of judicial principles that the other existing justices have.

Meanwhile, some left wing Senators really made themselves look foolish. Unfortunately, they had not fundamentally valid reasons for opposing the nomination other than current political confrontation.

Do I think Alito will vote to overturn Roe? Yes. Did he deny it? Basically yes. But he demonstrated fundamental qualifications for being a judge. And that is all that matters back when religious extremists were not trying to impose their religion on all others. Alito should be confirmed to the Supreme Court easily.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:17 AM   #29
gaidin
Complex Simpleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Alito is a sure confirmation for one simple reason. He has demonstrated he is a good judge. I wish we could say same about Justice Clarence Thomas who somehow does not have the same grasp of judicial principles that the other existing justices have.

Meanwhile, some left wing Senators really made themselves look foolish. Unfortunately, they had not fundamentally valid reasons for opposing the nomination other than current political confrontation.

Do I think Alito will vote to overturn Roe? Yes. Did he deny it? Basically yes. But he demonstrated fundamental qualifications for being a judge. And that is all that matters back when religious extremists were not trying to impose their religion on all others. Alito should be confirmed to the Supreme Court easily.

what about his membership to C.A.P? What about him writing on a job application saying no woman has a constitutional right to an abortion now saying he only did it get the job? He has argued strenuously in favor of the strip search of a 10-year-old girl not accused of criminal wrongdoing; supported warrantless surveillance of a criminal suspect when other courts had disallowed the practice; and tried to strip his fellow judges of the power to grant habeas corpus rights to undocumented immigrants, a position pointedly repudiated by the Supreme Court.I mean, really, the only people looking foolish at this point are the conservatives.
gaidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #30
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
Bad timing on those domestic spy crimes. I like old Specter loaded for bear.
Me too.

Quote:
Specter Remains Doubtful of Spy Program's Legality

He says Bush was not given a 'blank check' when Congress OKd the use of force after 9/11.