The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-25-2004, 05:00 PM   #46
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sidhe
Here's something I don't get: why is it that if someone causes a woman to lose her child involuntarily, that's considered fetuscide--murder--and they can be charged, tried, and sent to jail for it; but if a woman willfully kills her own child, that isn't considered fetuscide?
I'm not sure that's true. I remember some anti-abortion congressmen tried to pass such a law recently, but I don't know what the status is. I think the usual charge would be forcing a miscarriage, rather than murder.
Quote:
It's like someone killing a pet. If your next-door neighbor kills your dog, that's animal cruelty, and they can go to jail for it. Likewise, if you abuse and/or kill your dog, the same laws apply to you, although you own the dog. The animal has protections under the law, and it applies equally across the board, no matter WHO violates that law.
Pets are killed by owners all the time, or - perhaps more often - taken to clinics to be killed.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:02 PM   #47
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Pets are killed by owners all the time, or - perhaps more often - taken to clinics to be killed.
uh-oh, you just had to go there, didn't you?

*sees garnet entering room carrying soap bax and flame thrower*
Old 08-25-2004, 05:07 PM   #48
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
I'm not sure that's true. I remember some anti-abortion congressmen tried to pass such a law recently, but I don't know what the status is. I think the usual charge would be forcing a miscarriage, rather than murder.Pets are killed by owners all the time, or - perhaps more often - taken to clinics to be killed.

Here in La., it's fetuscide. I don't know about other states.

I'm not referring to people who bring sick pets to be put down, or vicious or rabid animals (I think that people who kill perfectly healthy pets should be flogged. If you can't take care of a pet, don't get one, IMO). I'm talking about people who abuse their animals or kill animals. I can't tell you how many people I know who have had pets poisoned by neighbors, or the like.

In La., if you abuse or kill an animal, or are found to be engaged in animal fighting, you can be fined and/or imprisoned for animal abuse, if you're caught.

Sidhe

Interesting how we treat animals as compared to how we treat murderers and babies....we'll put down a rabid animal because it's a danger to society, but not a human who is a danger to society. And the animal didn't even kill. We'll protect animals from abuse and death at the hands of caretakers, but not babies.

Pathetic.

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #49
jaguar
whig

The real problem is the strange notion that human life is somehow magically sacred, if people are that worried about 'people' dieing they should asked to sell their posessions to feed starving wretched kids in africa before that can claim some sort of moral high ground about abortion.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:08 PM   #50
Happy Monkey

Hey, part of garnet's discussion was about which euthanasia methods are PETA-approved!
|_______________| [pics]
Old 08-25-2004, 05:14 PM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I saw a hilarious video regarding "putting the dog out of it's misery" the other day, but don't have the URL handy. As soon as I find it I'll post it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #52
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Here in La., it's fetuscide. I don't know about other states.
I'd guess that they are trying to get as close to banning abortion as they can without attracting the Supreme Court.
Quote:
I'm not referring to people who bring sick pets to be put down, or vicious or rabid animals
How about animal shelters? If they can't find a loving family for the animal, they'll kill it (depending on the shelter).
Quote:
Interesting how we treat animals as compared to how we treat murderers and babies....we'll put down a rabid animal because it's a danger to society, but not a human who is a danger to society. And the animal didn't even kill. We'll protect animals from abuse and death at the hands of caretakers, but not babies.
The reason rabid animals are killed is that they are considered less important than people, and therefore not worth life imprisonment. Babies are more protected than animals, and fetuses are less. Animal fetuses have no protection at all.
|_______________| [pics]
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #53
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
uh-oh, you just had to go there, didn't you?

*sees garnet entering room carrying soap bax and flame thrower*
Hey! I've been a good girl lately! I'm learning slowly but surely how to play nicely with others.

(just don't start another PETA thread......pleeeeeeze!)
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:02 PM   #54
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Hey! I've been a good girl lately! I'm learning slowly but surely how to play nicely with others.

(just don't start another PETA thread......pleeeeeeze!)
2 things.

1) some cellarites are partial to the opposite of a good girl.

2) PETA - that is a sandwich, right? (go with me on this one, and maybe people won't even notice that PETA was brought up again.)
Old 08-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #55
garnet

Quote:

Pathetic.
Sorry, just can't help myself on this one. It all goes back to what your definition of "baby" is. If you kill a human infant (and get caught) you're going to the slammer for a looooong time. If you kill a kitten or a puppy, you get a slap on the wrist (if anything).

Lots of pro-lifers hate PETA because we protect animals instead of unborn "babies." I've never understood the connection. We get tons of mail from those people. I don't get why they're wasting their time bitching at us instead of doing something useful--like helping pregnant teenagers and abused children.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #56
garnet

Quote:
2 things.

So wait, are you saying you like the "bad" garnet better than the "good" garnet? Cuz if you do, she's lurking just around the corner
Old 08-25-2004, 07:18 PM   #57
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
2 things.

Are you trying to say you've got a thing for bad boys lookout?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:23 PM   #58
lookout123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
Are you trying to say you've got a thing for bad boys lookout?
eeew. thanks but no thanks jinx. i didn't mean that opposite.

i was simply (although with poor grammar) saying that some of the cellar dwelling guys like the bad girls... take that how you want.

and to garnet - please keep evil garnet in chains. and a ballgag. with chinese finger cuffs. in a burlap sack. in a closet. in an abandoned house. in siberia. that should do it.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #59
garnet

Quote:
and to garnet - please keep evil garnet in chains. and a ballgag. with chinese finger cuffs. in a burlap sack. in a closet. in an abandoned house. in siberia. that should do it.
Chinese finger cuffs? OUCH! Even for "bad garnet" that's a little harsh!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #60
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
The real problem is the strange notion that human life is somehow magically sacred, if people are that worried about 'people' dieing they should asked to sell their posessions to feed starving wretched kids in africa before that can claim some sort of moral high ground about abortion.
A big amen from me on that one.

Or for those who say, "Every child is a wanted child"...where are they when the woman doesn't want her child? I don't see anyone lining up to take in that "wanted" child.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote