The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #31
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieG
[b]Nah - first, I cry no tears over a civit that gets killed for food, or a cow. Now if it was MY cow, yes, and HAVE. It's my cat, YES.

It comes down to this - if I know and like the individual animal, yes, if I don't, I don't really care. And Yes, I've cried while butchering a steer - ate it anyway./B]
Well at least you admit to your hypocrisy.

What amuses me the most is how all of you "meat eaters" think you're all bad ass by "sticking it to the protesters". It's your inaleianable right to eat whatever you want because you're macho. You're a real tough guy. Unless you have to slaughter it, and it was yours, then you cry like a bitch, and then eat it.

You're right, no one should give a shit about anything they eat. Oh, until it's got some disease. Then panic. Fucking morons.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #32
glatt

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

You're right, no one should give a shit about anything they eat. Oh, until it's got some disease. Then panic. Fucking morons.

Quzah.
Yeah, and eating no meat will keep you from getting some food borne disease, just like all those Hepatitis infected folks from a month or two ago who ate green onions.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:53 PM   #33
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Well at least you admit to your hypocrisy.

Hipocrisy? Nope. It's the difference between an animal I know, and one I don't. I don't cry over people I don't know either.

I'll put it this way - Family first, then friends, then people/animals I know, then everything else
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:07 PM   #34
Gary M. Climer
Neophyte-in-training

Question Civet cat kill

It has to be the same reaction in India to the United States responce to Mad Cow, ya think?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:41 PM   #35
quzah

Re: Civet cat kill

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary M. Climer
It has to be the same reaction in India to the United States responce to Mad Cow, ya think?
No one hardly even blinked at the "onion scare". You didn't see the "veggie industry" freaking out trying to calm the world. You didn't see everyone crying "Oh no, I can't have my green onions!" "By god, I'm going to eat green onions no matter what!" You didn't see the "veggie industry" suing Oprah because she said it was possible to get something bad.

Basicly, it's a vegetable, no one cares.

Quzah.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #36
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I dunno...compared to the UK or Canada, our mad cow scare has seemed tame. Being able to blame Canada has probably helped.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #37
quzah

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I dunno...compared to the UK or Canada, our mad cow scare has seemed tame. Being able to blame Canada has probably helped.
I spent the weekend with my family. A friend of my sister's was there, he's from the UK oringally. He was there when the UK mad cow started appearing. He states that basicly the way it works is that the disease usually takes seven years to show up in people after the initial problem comes to light.

That is to say, in the UK, when they first discovered mad cow, it took seven years for people to start dying from, or having nasty symptoms from it. In other words, look me up in seven years, and then we'll see how bad it really is.

All in all it's a really shitty thing to have happen. But the thing is, they can say "oh, you get hepititus from your onions", to which all I have to reply is: "Not if I wash my food." It's hardly comarible. As far as I've seen, every single sickness you get from vegitable can be avoided by simply cleaning your food properly. The same can't be said for flesh.

Quzah.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #38
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm talking short-term/current though. The beef industry here is apparently doing well (though some countries have blocked our exports), and the media coverage (and general concern) all but died once they announced that the initial case originated in Canada.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #39
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

Man, quzah has some major issues. Reading all he has to offer (or not), he is full of rage pointed at no one in particular, but at anyone who doesn't see eye to eye perfectly with him. If they don't he lets loose a barrage of insults. One thing he has succeeded however is leading everyone off the subject of civet cat culling to a heated debate over vegan/non-vegan diet plans. He seems intent on proving everyone wrong when no one agrees with him.

I, myself, am an omnivore and I agree that a healthy well balanced diet includes meat. Science and our own biology confirms our meat eating genes. There are some nutrients you must get from animal sources like some proteins and fatty acids. Take a look at our tooth structure. If we weren't meant to eat meat, then we wouldn't desire meat. Humans have been eating meat for hundreds of thousands of years. Whether you are a creationist or an evolutionist, both theories support meat eating habits.

On a more personal note, quzah, you radical fool! Chill out. Relax and have a nice porter house on me.
FelinesAreFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 12:55 AM   #40
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Wow. That took you like 60 seconds to figure out.

Welcome to the Cellar. Don't mind quzah. That's just his way.

Not everybody is like that. Well, radar is, but there's a different style to him and he's on vacation, sort of.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:42 AM   #41
glatt

As far as the whole mad cow disease case in the U.S. goes, I'm disapointed in the US media. I really think that this deserves to be getting a lot more attention than it has.

This cow came from Canada. OK. I buy that. But how does it follow that it is the only one?

I forget the exact numbers, and don't feel like doing a Google search right now, but there is one cow tested for something like every 12,000 cows that are processed. That means, the "experts" have determined that 1 in 12,000 is a fair representative sample. The fact that 1 cow has shown up with the disease, and it supposedly is representative of 12,000 cows, means that 12,000 cows have the disease. We don't actually know that, but that's what statistics tell us.

I love meat. I love beef. But I haven't eaten ANY beef since that cow was found to have the disease. I know, it's probably too little too late at this point. If other tainted meat was out there, I probably ate it already. All the "experts" keep saying that our supply is safe, but these are the same experts who said it would never happen here. It did happen here. They were wrong then, and they are probably wrong now.

The rules are SLOWLY being changed to make it less likely to happen again, but there are tens of millions of cows out there that have been raised under the old guidelines. Eating blood and ground up downers mixed with their feed. It will be months or years before the current cow supplyis all gone. I'm happy to let all of you eat those old cows. I'll come back to beef eating after a few years. Assuming I don't have mad cow disease myself by then.

Personally, I think pork has a real nice flavor. Chicken is yummy too, although it has too much antibiotic in it.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #42
glatt

And another thing.

Because I lived in Germany for a year and a half in the 80s, I'm not allowed to donate blood. The Red Cross thinks I might be carrying Mad Cow Disease in my blood. I used to donate all the time, and it bothers me that I can't anymore. There are almost always blood shortages, because it has such a short shelf life, and donations are low.

Since the disease has been found in the US cattle population, does that mean the US Red Cross now won't take blood from anyone that has lived in the US?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #43
FelinesAreFine
...they think I'm rich

I also lived in Germany from 1992 to 1997 and I'm barred from giving blood, platelets, or anything. Even though I'm healthy and test negative for everything. You'd think that if I had mad cow I'd be dead by now.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #44
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine
Science and our own biology confirms our meat eating genes. There are some nutrients you must get from animal sources like some proteins and fatty acids. Take a look at our tooth structure. If we weren't meant to eat meat, then we wouldn't desire meat. Humans have been eating meat for hundreds of thousands of years. Whether you are a creationist or an evolutionist, both theories support meat eating habits.
I don't think they've actually discovered the "meat-eating genes", have they?

When you say that we were meant to eat meat, evolutionarily speaking, that's not really true. Evolution has no mind of its own. It has no "goal" or "desire". They way to look at it is this: Our ancestors started adding meat to their diet, and their teeth slowly adapted as a result.

It seems likely that if we decided to start eating something else, then our bodies would eventually adapt to fully exploit that food source as well.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:24 PM   #45
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
It seems likely that if we decided to start eating something else, then our bodies would eventually adapt to fully exploit that food source as well.
Only if we stubbornly continued to eat it when it started killing a few people.

Hmmm. You may have something there.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote