The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

Fear of Loss

I don't mean like you might leave me, I mean like you might die. Not in an abstract sense, but in a very immediate sense. You might die today. Or some other terrible thing, beyond our ability to predict or control, may happen. This has always bothered me. Like a persistant movie reel in the back of my thoughts, reminding me of the dangers of the world. The closer I get to someone, the worse it gets. I don't let it run my life, but there it is, always there.

What does this say about me? Why am I like this?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Could be dysthymia--chronic, low-level depression.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Ibby
erika

For me it's fear of change. I'm scared she'll be a completely different person tomorrow... or, more realistically, a completely different person three years from now when we're old enough to get married. Or just as bad, I'll be completely different and she'll dump me anyway.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I don't know. It would depend upon who you are worried about or just worried in general. There is alot of info on the web about conquering fear. Meditaion or mind control ( self ) can quiet run amok thoughts. Something to focus on like a tailsman. Well you know we are biologically set up to believe in something. There may or may not be any power in an object or symbol but it helps focus the mind. ie: a special rock in the pocket , a cross or a pentagram ect.

[spelling edit]
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Could be dysthymia--chronic, low-level depression.
Yeah. Tends to cause fear of death of the other or fear that they'll change/leave. The nightmares those fears cause often start a bad cycle.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
fear of death of the other or fear that they'll change/leave
I don't want this subeject to get blurred and mischaracterized. I am not fearful of being abandoned, I am not fearful of being betrayed, I am not fearful of any kind of behavior.

What I would say is that I am accutely aware that "bad things" such as fatal traffic accidents could likely occur at any given moment. I don't dwell on it, and I don't need help dealing with it. I'm just curious about the origin of this persistent thought pattern.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
skysidhe

O.C.D

you see brilliant minds sometimes are quirky like that. I am a dullard so I don't have any OVER thinking problems so I really can't relate.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I was just about to say OCD too. I used to be completely unable to go down a flight of stairs without picturing myself tumbling down it in the back of my mind, or drive a car without seeing myself veering off the road at every turn. Over the last few years, I have gotten over many of my compulsive symptoms (lining shit up for no reason, folding the laundry precisely the right way...) and the constant awareness of terrible posibilities has diminished as well.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
(lining shit up for no reason, folding the laundry precisely the right way...)
I accept these tendencies, as positives. I am a drummer. Okay, obsessive attention to detail and organization is useful there. What else? I work with computers. Okay, pretty rigid logic is required there as well. I make it work for me. I don't often make mistakes. But, it is very exhaustive, literally.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sure, I like the way I am, too. I wasn't actively trying to get over the symptoms, I've just noticed they've faded over a period of about 4-5 years.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Ibby
erika

I sometimes think I have a touch of OCD too, I fixate on things and cant stop thinking/cant shut up about them for long periods of time... and I have a thing about symmetry, I always have to have anything that is at all organized to be symmetrical.

And since no-one else made the comment on my post, I must...
"Wefearchange"
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
BlueSky_TheMan
This moment is a gift, thats why they call it the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
~snip~What I would say is that I am accutely aware that "bad things" such as fatal traffic accidents could likely occur at any given moment. I don't dwell on it, and I don't need help dealing with it. I'm just curious about the origin of this persistent thought pattern.
I've found that some of my repetitive thoughts seem to have the quality of being disconnected from me. Disconnected in the sense that someone else is pushing the play button in my head. Finding how the thought is connected to me and releasing it are sometimes easy, sometimes hard, and some I still have. In the past I tried avoiding the thought, reprimanding the thought, adding more thoughts, taking away different thoughts, etc, etc. Those tactics never really had any lasting success for me. I have found a path that works for me now. I believe if you find the path/process/introspection that works for you , you will find a belief you hold (consciously/subconsciously) that cannot survive without the repetitive nature of your specific thought. Each person then has to develop there own philosophy or theology that opens those doors of release.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky_TheMan
In the past I tried avoiding the thought, reprimanding the thought, adding more thoughts, taking away different thoughts, etc, etc. Those tactics never really had any lasting success for me. I have found a path that works for me now. I believe if you find the path/process/introspection that works for you , you will find a belief you hold (consciously/subconsciously) that cannot survive without the repetitive nature of your specific thought. Each person then has to develop there own philosophy or theology that opens those doors of release.
Rumination, or negative cyclic thinking, is also a sign of depression, dysthymia and OCD.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

There was a time in my life that I would negatively ruminate. That is not what I am describing here. I am describing the frequent occurance of a particular theme in my thoughts, which is an unpleasant one, but also realistic. And, I have my own perfectly effective methods for dealing with this situation. I guess my only queston is: does anyone have any suggestions as to the origin of this theme? I have my own theories, but I am curious.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
For me it's fear of change. I'm scared she'll be a completely different person tomorrow... or, more realistically, a completely different person three years from now when we're old enough to get married. Or just as bad, I'll be completely different and she'll dump me anyway.
That's normal stuff I think. Young people have to change to become the person they are suppose to become.

I think I would strive to have the love continue in whatever form it takes. Maybe it will or will not be in the way you imagine but to be open for whatever course it takes means you get to keep the love. The love remains whatever it becomes.

I have to 'kapish' that alot myself.