The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #46
rkzenrage

Your numbers are off, ours is an 07, Hwy it gets 27, city 17. We have tested it several times.
I am buying gas from the person behind the counter.
You cannot bait someone who could care less about you.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #47
Griff
still says videotape

14/18mpg

Last edited by Griff; 05-29-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add 14/18mpg
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #48
rkzenrage

Which is not what our actually gets.
Man, you really gotta work on that reading.
I bet there are programs in your area.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #49
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Which is not what our actually gets.
Man, you really gotta work on that reading.
I bet there are programs in your area.
For the 2003 Insight, fueleconomy.gov lists the mileage as 48 city, 59 highway, 53 combined, but I have consistently averaged 66 mpg or higher in mixed driving, with lots of up and down (altitude, I mean - home is about 2500 feet higher than work).

The "MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You" section lists mileage of 68 in real-world driving, but it might be that only those with very high mileage are likely to enter their data.

A point to rkzenrage.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #50
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
The Hummer is an easy target because the original ones were huge and simply a status symbol with little or no real need. Now, it is a different story.
Of course. Today, the lives of Americans are so dramatically different from twenty years ago that the average family cannot get by with a mid-size car as the previous generation was once able to do with ease. The commutes of 2007 are nothing like our predecessors could have dreamed! The smooth, paved roads of the 1980s that once ferried families out for a comfortable drive to the grocery store for weekly shopping are now a driver's battlefield of washouts, boulders, and other off road trials that only an H2 can handle.

Of course, I'm kidding -- H2s and their low Tahoe chassis have as much to do with off roading as, well, Chevy Tahoes.

This is all besides the point, however, and the real story is about a dense gas station owner that shut down to "help the consumer" by, uh, removing one more piece of local competition so other stations can raise their prices. Good job, dumbass. That'll show 'em!

Maybe he is right. We can only hope that prices continue to go up, now, to encourage some alternatives so we can cut away from this addiction that has only one possible end. Sick of high gas prices? Tired of paying out a chunk of your paycheck so you can drive your car thirty-five miles, alone, to your job downtown from your beautiful suburbs? Shut up and ditch the SUV, move closer to town, start conserving, or all of the above. It's only going to get worse.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 PM   #51
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Of course. Today, the lives of Americans are so dramatically different from twenty years ago that the average family cannot get by with a mid-size car as the previous generation was once able to do with ease. The commutes of 2007 are nothing like our predecessors could have dreamed! The smooth, paved roads of the 1980s that once ferried families out for a comfortable drive to the grocery store for weekly shopping are now a driver's battlefield of washouts, boulders, and other off road trials that only an H2 can handle.
Excellent first paragraph. Point to Kitsune.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #52
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
BrianR, not to get off-topic, but what will you be doing in the desert? It sounds interesting.
Not really interesting as such. My future wife lives in a desert due to severe arthritis and flatly refuses to move to me and get hooked on painkillers again. Women! Go figure!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #53
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
This is all besides the point, however, and the real story is about a dense gas station owner that shut down to "help the consumer" by, uh, removing one more piece of local competition so other stations can raise their prices. Good job, dumbass. That'll show 'em!
No, no, no, he was trying to make a statement, but nobody got it.

Quote:
2007 14/18mpg
You're mileage may vary.

Quote:
H2s and their low Tahoe chassis have as much to do with off roading as, well, Chevy Tahoes.
As I understand it from pros that test these things, the H-2 is as capable off road, as any vehicle on the market including the CJ, except the H-1.

Quote:
For the 2003 Insight, fueleconomy.gov lists the mileage as 48 city, 59 highway, 53 combined, but I have consistently averaged 66 mpg or higher in mixed driving, with lots of up and down (altitude, I mean - home is about 2500 feet higher than work).
How heavy a trailer will it tow?
How many kegs of beer and cases of chips will it hold?
How many suitcases can a family of 4, take to Wally World?
How far up the fire trail, to the hunting/fishing lodge, will it climb?
How many surf fishing rod holders will the front bumper handle.
Does bringing 500 lbs of salt home, as I did today, effect the mileage?

At the price of vehicles these days, very few can afford a complete set of them. That means most have to find the Crescent (adjustable) Wrench or Vice-Grips, that will do what they want to do, the best.

A two car family has the luxury of splitting the duties between vehicles, but the reality is, in many families both get driven to work. Even when only the husband works, unless you marry Jinx, the wife wants the lighter duty, more mileage vehicle for her kid taxi.*

To me, the Prius looks like a one-trick pony that wouldn't serve my needs(wants) very well. Besides, it doesn't look good on me.

*Yeah, I know, sexist stereotyping. It's just an example, deal with it.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #54
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
To me, the Prius looks like a one-trick pony that wouldn't serve my needs(wants) very well. Besides, it doesn't look good on me.
Why on earth wouldnt you want one?!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #55
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Why don't people who buy these vehicles and use them 99.99% of the time to haul their sole ass to and from work everyday ask themselves this question after asking all of those: How often will I really do those things and would it be cheaper to rent a vehicle when I need to?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #56
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
xoB, sorry for the confusion, I wasn't very clear. I was just saying that it is possible to get mileage significantly better than indicated by the EPA numbers.

But I have taken it to the top of the highest paved road in the US.

It sounds like you have a very active lifestyle. But you might want to work on reducing your salt intake. I hear it's bad for your blood pressure.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #57
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Gas is still cheaper than Coke. Which is water. From a hose. And some other stuff that costs about three cents.
But...it doesn't take me about five or six gallons of Coke a day just to earn a living and discharge my other duties and activities.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
UT's observation about needing two types of vehicles and often wishing you had worn the other one on that day, has led to the popularity of the short bed, 4 door, pickups. If you can't afford two vehicles that do their alloted tasks well, get one that does neither well.
Yes, and that's why I ended up with... uh... um...

aw crap
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #59
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Next time you get pissed when some hippie flips you off in traffic, remember that your POS Hummer is a powerful symbol of your support for the Bush agenda.
What a load of crap. When people flipped me off in my H2 I just ran em off the road. Idiots. That is some screwed up logic assumptions there...
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
xoB, sorry for the confusion, I wasn't very clear. I was just saying that it is possible to get mileage significantly better than indicated by the EPA numbers.
No apology necessary, no confusion either. I just snagged your post to comment, while big mileage numbers sound desirable...especially now... it's only one of the criteria most people are up against. People can cut their fuel bill, and be politically correct, by trading their ride for a super mileage vehicle.... piece of cake. But, it's best to be aware of lifestyle changes necessitated by such a move. Better than doing it, then having the, "OH shit" moment.
That said, if they're getting 12mpg chances are they can't afford to do that stuff anyway. Everyone has to find their balance of priorities
Quote:
But I have taken it to the top of the highest paved road in the US.
Mount Evans?
Quote:
It sounds like you have a very active lifestyle.
Not me, I live vicariously through the adventures posted here in the Cellar.
Quote:
But you might want to work on reducing your salt intake. I hear it's bad for your blood pressure.
You'll be eating those words when the giant slug invasion starts.