The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

The Horrors of the Outdoors

I understand the weather for you guys up North is becoming really pleasant, while ours is quickly on its way to becoming intolerable. Just before our beautiful nights give way to a muggy, mosquito-laden hell, I decided to give outdoor camping a try this past weekend.

Yeah, I had never been camping before. Seems odd, but my family never had an interest in it. Working in an office, dealing with computers day in and out, and having a pager practically sugically implanted into my body quickly changes those feelings and I had been day dreaming of pitching a tent in getting in touch with nature for some time. This past weekend had perfect weather, so the quick decision was made to rough it.

Despite the subject line, I have to say it was one of the best times I've ever had! The wildlife witnessed was amazing, from the family of raccoons that swept through the camp while we sat around the fire to going to the lake in the dark with a flashlight to see all the blinking pairs of eyes floating in the water (alligators). The sounds at night were so stereotypical that I thought I might have entered a bad Yogi Bear cartoon: an owl hooting at 3am loud enough to wake everyone, the rumbling of the gators somewhere near the water, and foxes playing in the distance as dawn approached.

The reason for the subject line: when does camping go wrong? What experiences have made camping hell for you? My experience this weekend was ideal, but I know it won't always be like that. What might I expect for future outtings and what precautions should I take?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote