The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #6586
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Issue #1: Home office told me (I'm the assistant ops/office manager at a courier company) today that I have to slash our employee work hours by half because they're not happy with the amount of money we are losing. We have always lost money on our actual employees, but the revenue has usually been made up by our independent contractors and scheduled routes. This still appears to be the case, but a culture of fear has been instilled by the contracting company...and it is trickling down into my own company. Furthermore, my boss (the ops mgr) is trying to fight with really weird schedule contortions rather than making the cuts and letting the chips fall where they may. I think my idea is better because it will open my company's eyes really quick as to how badly we need those employees that would be cut. The situation is giving me a migraine.

Issue #2: I met a really nice gal about 2 months ago. We became friends and I asked her on a date in late February. She said yes and the date seemed to go great...she even said so. In the time leading up to the date, we were growing closer, and it looked like a relationship was going to develop. After the date, we talked about going on a second date in the near future, and we continued talking for the next few days as we had been. But 3 days after the date, she sent me an e-mail, telling me that after a great deal of soul-searching, she didn't see us being more than friends.

I'm not mad at her...I understand that people are fickle creatures and she maybe wasn't sure of her feelings about me. I guess once she met me in person, she didn't feel that connection...it happens. But based on how things had been going, I was deeply hurt by the situation. I tried to stay friends with her after this, but about 2 weeks ago, I told her that I couldn't be friends with her right now because it just hurt too much to interact with her (we communicated a lot on FB and Twitter)...and she said she understood.

Tonight, I was going to go a bar here in Downtown KC that I frequent, and asked some Twitter friends if they were interested in joining me. That's when another friend of mine told me that she and the gal in question were going to be down there. I told them both I'd see them down there.

I wanted to try and overcome my "stage fright" on this issue...we have quite a few mutual friends here in KC, and we will inevitably cross paths again. And she is really an awesome person...I miss her friendship a lot. But my body started freaking the fuck out...heart racing, light headed, etc. I tried to calm myself down...I really wanted to overcome this.

But between the work situation and the feelings I still have for this gal, it was just too much. I am just wiped out and feel like total shit. I hate feeling this way, but I guess you can only overcome so much at one time. This too shall pass...but this day sucked a fucking fart.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #6587
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Vitamin D. Much higher doses than the RDA, which is a pittance and will only barely stave off rickets. 1,000-2,000 IU per day, in my non-medically-licensed opinion.
I take that too 5000 IU a day
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #6588
Nirvana
Back in 10

@sycamore
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #6589
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana
I take that too 5000 IU a day
Yeah, I myself am more like 7,000 IU a day, but I figured a conservative dose might be more appropriate for someone who hasn't already blood-tested as severely deficient like me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #6590
monster
I hear them call the tide

Vada died

I never met Vada. But we bought this house from his fiance, the basement was a shrine to his football career and Hebe's room was decorated for his son. And they moved to a neighborhood where many of my friends live and became close with them, so i heard about him all the time. Strangely, our paths never crossed, despite 10 years of parties and get-togethers, but i always heard about his progress.

He died today, of lung cancer. An athlete and police officer, never a smoker. The battle has been nearly 4 years, but he never stood a chance -it was stage 4 when discovered. A stong man, a fighter. I wish I had met him.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #6591
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Damn, sorry to hear that monster. Did they have any idea what caused it? Chemical exposure, or being around lots of second hand smoke, or something? A non-smoker getting lung cancer is a shitty lottery to win.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #6592
monster

No, nothing. They cannot find any reason. The kicker is they think he was so fit, that's why it wasnt discovered until it was stage 4 -and it was discovered by accident then.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #6593
monster

...we still get junk mail for Vada.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #6594
monster

...and now a friend from the pool, a grandad and dad to close friends.

some days just suck.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #6595
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sorry monster.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #6596
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Lung cancer is a zebra running down the street.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #6597
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Wolf's user title is pissing me off. 19 years at the nuthouse.... Over just like that?

What the cock!?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #6598
Griff
still says videotape

seriously?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #6599
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

So it would seem. Facebook also says unemployed....

What the fuck happened, wolf? Unless you don't wanna talk aboot et. And I'll stfu now just in case ya doona.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #6600
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Wait, what?
Blimey.

Concerned people are concerned, but otherwise - what he said.

Also a concern - Big Sarge.
He was VERY down when he last posted which was days ago.

Tags
swiss