The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: do you make 'enough' money?
No, I wish I made more money 25 56.82%
I'm content with my income 17 38.64%
I think I actually make too much and should give some away 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #31
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Wow, you can buy hot girls?
Yes, but the hot ones (and more likely to be disease free) are expensive!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #32
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
And that's a good point, Jesus. What kind of "stuff" is sufficient for each person? Going back to the car reference, I really would like for one that is more reliable...but then I really do love sports cars and saw a beautiful BMW Z4 that was the prettiest shade of blue I've ever seen and I thought "I WANT that!" Would that, then, be enough?
It's funny, but just yesterday morning I was having this discussion with myself.

------------------------------

I have too much stuff.

That's great. You have enough stuff.

No, not enough stuff, too much stuff. Too much means I have to get rid of stuff. This is true. Enough means I don't need any more, which is not true. I need to get rid of stuff, but then I need more stuff.

--------------------------------

And that's the way it went, all morning.

If you don't need to spend money on stuff, then you don't need to make as much money, which means you can work less. If you cut back to 32 hours per week, your net pay will probably only decrease by about 10%, after taxes. Your expenses will decrease and you'll have more time for things you enjoy.

You're right - but then I'd need more stuff.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #33
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot serpent View Post
yes, sufficient -- although it took me ~15 yrs to catch up with what I was making in LA but, then house prices are much less here in KS. I guess the real estate bubble bursting will help to normalize things, somewhat.

According to all of the retirement 'calculators' I can retire now and live on ~90% of my income 'til I'm 95 (with a 4% inflation rate and NO Social Security income) -- I'm strongly thinking about it...
Wow, I am very impressed.

If I was in that position, I would be very very tempted to stop the for pay work, likve on teh 90% and spend my time doing what I wanted....

You've reached the finish line! Congratulations!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #34
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
You've reached the finish line! Congratulations!
Heh... yeah, I think that's exactly what the Nationwide retirement calculator said
Old 09-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #35
lookout123
changed his status to single

no. look at it another way. You've crossed the line into "voluntary land". everything you do beyond this point is something you want to do, or you won't do it. You have entered the realm of "eff you" money. Boss tells you to work late and do more with less and you don't want to? "eff you, i'm going home." here's the great part, very little will push you to that point of frustration now because you are doing things you want to do, not things you have to do just to buy groceries.
that discovery is why so many financially secure baby boomers are continuing to work rather than spend the rest of their lives on the golf course.

forget the finish line, you just crossed the beautiful starting line.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #36
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
no. look at it another way. You've crossed the line into "voluntary land". everything you do beyond this point is something you want to do, or you won't do it. You have entered the realm of "eff you" money. Boss tells you to work late and do more with less and you don't want to? "eff you, i'm going home." here's the great part, very little will push you to that point of frustration now because you are doing things you want to do, not things you have to do just to buy groceries.
Are you saying he has enough? And you don't have a specific number of what that amount might be? By jove, I think you've got it!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #37
lookout123
changed his status to single

you're a fucking moron.

yes that is an example of name calling.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #38
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
you're a fucking moron.

yes that is an example of name calling.
ROFLMAO!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #39
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

At present I am not making money.
I look forward to the day when I finish a long hard day and feel I have achieved something.
I look forward to aching feet, aching back, a fund of stories about bad tippers or drunk arseholes or stupid customers.

I couldn't post in the thread that became pros & cons of the welfare state because it was too personal for me. But for the record I'd rather have a job I love for a minor wage, and one that is simply hard, or dull, or menial to make it up than have none at all.

I'll get there. And drag you with me, screaming, one detailed post at a time
Old 09-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #40
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
Nope. I married in April of this year. I am referring to our joint income. We don't have (or intend to have) kids.

congrats!

and sorry if i missed that announcement if it was made!

i hope you are getting it regularly.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #41
monster
I hear them call the tide

Tough call.

I make $0, but I work long and hard, and the work I do is very important to me. I'd like to earn money, but I can't earn money doing what I do and I can't do what I do and do a paying job.

What do I do?

1) I am the scrip fundraiser for my kids' school. I put maybe 10 hours a week into it in school time...and raised $20,000 for the school last year. Those ten hours are split into a few hours here, 10 minutes there, 30 minutes there, 5 minutes there etc. This year I'm going for $25,000 The year before last (before I took over), they made about $11,000. I was treasurer then. The person who did scrip also worked for $ and could not do what I am able to do.

2) I help out in the school. I'm a room parent, I run special classes, I help with remedial math, I help with reading, I chaperone field trips, I shelve books in the library, I sort the lost and found.... this takes maybe 8 hours a week on average Plus commute.

3) I am treasurer and head marshall for my kids' swim team. This takes maybe 4 hours a week on average

4) I am the membership thingy for the pool we use in the summer, and head marshall for the swim team etc etc etc This takes about an hour a week average because it's summer-heavy.

5) I am the director of a non-profit publishing company dedicated to publishing quality literary fiction which "falls through the cracks" because it cannot be pigeonholed into a standard marketing genre. This takes any time I have left (after all the other things and houewiffery thingy) because I am the main "joe-on-the-street" reader.

I love all these jobs. I love to be busy. I put in a great deal of effort and time and get great results. I'd love to be paid for it, but that is impossible -they are all minimal budget non-profits. At some point, I need to get a paying job to ket my kids through college. But I love what I do.

So no, I don't make enough money right now and yet, yes I do.

I live in the hope that when the time comes that I need to earn $$ to pay for college, all the skills I have acquired as a volunteer will help me earn top dollar.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #42
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't need more money. I have a husband that earns enough for me to spend, and pay all the bills and put a bit aside as well as contribute to various charities on a regular basis.

No, we don't need more. If we had more we'd just spend it on frivolous shit and then wonder where it went. We're pretty lucky to be in the position we're in and I know I for one am quite content.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #43
rkzenrage

One can say they make enough money when they can see the future and say, for a fact, that they, or their loved ones, will not get sick, hurt or any other needy situation and their spouse's work situation absolutely will not change no matter what.
Remember, I am disabled and FL insurance law, my wife's job, recently changed.
There was a time when it was all sunshine and roses, the future sure was certain.
Until you have enough to pay for a life of medical care for yourself and your family, factoring in serious possible inflation, that is COMPLETELY separate from any market fluctuations and current income, you do NOT have enough.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #44
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think you can plan for most outcomes by having suitable life insurance and income protection, coupled with investments in more than one area in order to cover any fluctuations.

No one can predict the future.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #45
rkzenrage

Right, so to have "enough" you must plan as best you can for the worst case scenario.
Trust me, I know.
Insurance does not always pay out like you want it to.