Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #76
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Yep..I agree it is hard for you and me (with my one course 20+ years ago) or even self-proclaimed experts like Merc.
Where did I make that statement? You say that because we disagree?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #77
Redux

An effort at openness and accountability as the the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is implemented...as promised.

Recovery.gov
Old 02-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #78
TheMercenary

So I never did say it. Thanks. Figures.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #79
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
An effort at openness and accountability as the the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act is implemented...as promised.

Recovery.gov
Wow - they make it sound so good,

BTW - Couldn't they get a better picture of Obama? that one sucks.
I'm gonna try to spend some time tonight and see what is really there, information-wise. I hope its not all Fluff 'n Stuff. I expect more from him.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #80
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Wow - they make it sound so good,

BTW - Couldn't they get a better picture of Obama? that one sucks.
I'm gonna try to spend some time tonight and see what is really there, information-wise. I hope its not all Fluff 'n Stuff. I expect more from him.
I expect it will be pretty fluffy until the funding for infrastructure projects and other jobs related programs on the spending side (as opposed to the tax relief side) starts hitting the streets...particularly the funds that have to go through the states to start specific projects. Recipients dont have to begin reporting how the funds are being spent until July.

The numbers of jobs by state could legitimately be described as a best case scenario....much like the CBO analysis and the total of 3+ million jobs in 18 months. Objective observers should understand that.

http://www.recovery.gov/?q=content/estimated-job-effect

Story time (Tell us how the Recovery Act is affecting you) should be fun.

But its all part of the WH bully pulpit...to counter the bullshit.

Last edited by Redux; 02-17-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #81
TheMercenary

The largely partisan vote was a rebuke to Obama, who campaigned on a pledge to bridge the divide between parties. In his early days in office, he wooed Republican members of Congress at the White House and on Capitol Hill, an effort that didn't produce votes last week.

While Obama pushed for bipartisanship, Republicans honed their opposition to the bill. GOP lawmakers are nearly united in their view that the measure is loaded with pork-barrel spending and will be ineffective in creating jobs. They also complain that the measure was crafted behind closed doors with no Republican input, despite promises of transparency.

House Republican Leader John Boehner, R.-Ohio, said last week that not one House member had read the bill, which came in at more than 1,000 pages.

On Tuesday, Rep. Boehner called the bill "a missed opportunity, one for which our children and grandchildren will pay a hefty price. It's a raw deal for American families."

Despite the party-line passage of the bill, President Obama painted it as a broad victory: "It is a rare thing in Washington for people with such different viewpoints to come together and support the same bill," he said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1234...cle-outset-box
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #82
TheMercenary

Financial gloom was everywhere Tuesday.

On Wall Street, the Dow Jones industrial average came within sight of its lowest levels in more than a decade. Financial shares were battered. And rattled investors clamored to buy rainy-day investments like gold and Treasury debt. Markets from Hong Kong to Stockholm to London also staggered lower.

It was a global wave of selling spurred by rising worries about how banks, automakers - entire countries - would fare in a deepening recession.

At the close, the Dow was down more than 297.81 points, at 7,552.60 points, a drop of 3.79 percent. The index was just a few fractions of a point away from its lows of Nov. 20, when financial markets plummeted to their lowest point in a decade. The only Dow stock to trade consistently in positive territory on The only Dow stock to trade consistently in positive territory was Wal-Mart, which rose after reporting better-than-expected profit.

The broader Standard & Poor's 500-stock index slid 37.67 points, or 4.5 percent, to 789.17 points, unable to cling to what analysts said was an important trading threshold.

GM takes union talks down to the wire
"If we get substantially below 800 then look out below," said Marc Groz, chief investment officer at Topos, a risk-advisory firm in Greenwich, Connecticut.

The Nasdaq composite index closed 63.70 points lower, down 4.1 percent, at 1,470.66 points.

The downward spiral came as President Obama signed the $787 billion economic stimulus package and executives at General Motors and Chrysler prepared to submit major restructuring plans to the U.S. government after receiving billions in bailout money.

General Motors stock, which was more than $25 last February, was trading lower on Tuesday, at about $2.15 a share. Shares of the Ford Motor, which has not received any bailout funds, were down 5 percent.

Analysts said investors were still nervous about the U.S. Treasury Department's plans to shore up the financial system and help remove billions of dollars in troubled mortgage-related assets from the balance sheets of major banks.

"The administration is great at floating the rumors, but we need concrete plans to back that up," said Ryan Larson, head equity trader at Voyageur Asset Management. "Without any further concreted details, the market's really left to wonder. And in this environment, they wonder the worst-case scenario."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/...18marketsA.php
Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #83
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

I love this decade.
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #84
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I refuse to post for fear that my negativity will detract from all the wonderful stuff this thing is supposed to do.

Last edited by classicman; 02-17-2009 at 09:57 PM.
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #85
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I refuse to post for fear that my negativity will detract from all the wonderful things this thing is supposed to do.
I gotcher back.

This shit is asinine. I mean really, tragically STUPID. Jesus H Christ, what the HELL is that man thinking? Trashing our dollar for some badly worded, easy exploited pork barrels isn't going to help a GODDAMN thing.

Bush leaving office: Here, bankers, have some zeros.

Obama entering office: Here, everydamnbody, have some zeros.

We have many zeros. In fact, it's all we have.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #86
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Remember last year when GM said it had enough cash reserves to survive? It only needed a few $billion? Remember others here who so hated American and humanity as to buy their crap ... and recommend it? Now from satan lovers - also called MBAs -
Quote:
G.M. Raises Loan Request by $12 Billion
The price tag for bailing out General Motors and Chrysler jumped by another $14 billion Tuesday, to $39 billion, with the two automakers saying they would need the additional aid from the federal government to remain solvent.
The entire market value of GM is $1.33 billion. So GM - with numerous crappy products - deserves another $10billion.

They only needed a few $billon a few months ago because the scumbags said the problem is not in GM; the problem is the economy. Yes, if you are Rick Wagoner, and MBA, and therefore still in denial. Many Cellar dwellers do not know how this man just put their jobs at risk.

What changed? Why has GM increased a few $billion into $30billion? Because GM did not declare bankruptcy and expel Wagoner. GM is still ignoring their problems - only doing enough to beg for more free government money.

GM must eliminate Saab, Saturn, Pontiac, and Hummer. Closing only two divisions will no longer be sufficient because Wagoner et al has done nothing. It will not end there. A previous prediction of two divisions is now woefully insufficient. Wagoner expects more corporate welfare. Will not address these problems. Cannot address problems when spread sheet games continue to stifle innovation - as any properly trained MBA does.

All automakers are hurting. However a patriot understands why bankruptcy eliminates problems - especially top management. 85% of all problems are where? Eliminate real problems so that companies that have been addressing the problem for seven plus years now - Ford, Toyota, Honda - will save America.

Just like in Lehman Bros. Richard Fuld remained in denial because rich executives are too important to not receive corporate welfare. Now that GM and Chrysler will get more free money, other American companies will not address a nationwide problem. That means your job is at risk or already lost.

A headline in the New York Post, to save your job, should read: "Obama to GM - drop dead". It caused 1979 Chrysler and 1981 Ford to eliminate their only problems. It caused NYC to stop playing money games on spread sheets. Therefore jobs were not lost. Instead numerous other companies began asking embarrassing questions of their top executives. Instead GM will remain so much in denial as Wagoner believes GM deserves to be saved.

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management. Often threats of bankruptcy are necessary to fix such problems - not just in GM. Also in your employer.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #87
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGRR View Post
I gotcher back.

This shit is asinine. I mean really, tragically STUPID. Jesus H Christ, what the HELL is that man thinking? Trashing our dollar for some badly worded, easy exploited pork barrels isn't going to help a GODDAMN thing.

Bush leaving office: Here, bankers, have some zeros.

Obama entering office: Here, everydamnbody, have some zeros.

We have many zeros. In fact, it's all we have.
Say it dude.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #88
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Say it dude.

75 billion more in mortgage relief, proposed by Obama today.

Sometimes this shit makes me laugh until I can't stop screaming.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #89
TheMercenary

And people bitch about how much Bush ran up the deficit. This guy is going for a record.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #90
TheMercenary

Obama Stimulus Saves Microsoft Billionaire Hundreds Of Millions

Billionaire Paul Allen is a Microsoft cofounder, the owner of the NFL's Seattle Seahawks and the owner of the NBA's Portland Trailblazers.

And, thanks to the stimulus bill President Obama signed this week, he's also about to be as much as a billion dollars richer.

Here's how:

Allen owns a majority stake in cable provider Charter Communications.
Charter Communications this month said it would reduce its debt load by $8 billion and enter Chapter 11.
Normally, partners at a firm like Charter Communications would have to pay taxes on the amount of debt forgiven in this process, which is, in a sense a one-time income windfall. Tax law calls it a "deemed distribution."

But under the new bill, companies like Charter Communications will be able to avoid paying taxes on forgiven debt until 2014. Even then, Paul will have until 2018 to pay it completely off.
Paul owns about half of Charter, so his share of the Charter Commuincations' $8 billion debt forgiveness is around $4 billion. At a tax rate of 25%, Allen could avoid paying as much as $1 billion in taxes until 2014, tax expert Robert Willens told the WSJ.

Not clear how a corporate tax benefit would be passed through to Paul's personal tax payments? A reader informs us:

"It's not a 'corporate tax' since it's a partnership rather than a corporation. The partners pay tax on their share of a partnerships income, which is why partnerships are referred to as "pass-through" entities."

For what it's worth, one of Paul's representatives told the WSJ the billionaire didn't lobby for the windfall. It just fell into his lap, lucky dog.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama...ns-phew-2009-2