The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-17-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

11/17/2002: Swan rescue

Here we see two firemen who have repelled down the side of a falls to rescue this very young mute swan, which had become trapped in rocks.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:14 PM   #2
dave

They promptly strangled the hell out of it for wasting their time.
Old 11-17-2002, 08:24 PM   #3
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

Believe me if you ever pick up a swan you damn well want to be holding its head or it will bite the shit out of you. The swan's other weapon is the front edge of its wings. It swings them like a club and it hurts.

The way to pick up a swan or goose is to grab its neck right behind the head and pull it forward fairly quickly and get your other arm around its upper body pinning its wings against your side. Keep hold of the head with the other hand. Avoid the feet by keeping them back and way from you. Luckily the critters tend to come at you with their heads forward and extended so they present a pretty easy grab.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:00 PM   #4
helen
Pithy Euphemist

Unhappy Now I'm confused

The registration drained all my thoughts about the swans................I probabaly (sp?) had some tho.
helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
helen
Pithy Euphemist

Lightbulb

Now I remember,............ what exactly is that other guy holding ????
A swan party cloak ?
helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:06 AM   #6
dave

Based on Beletseri's information (thanks! - stuff I never knew), I would imagine that's some type of "cloak" to keep the wings close to the swan's body (and therefore, not striking at you). But I could be wrong.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:00 AM   #7
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

Looks like some sort of net bag that they hope to stuff the swan into. It looks to me that they are wondering how the heck they are going to manage that.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 07:17 AM   #8
dave

Hehe. The guy on the right is looking at it, thinking "Okay. This... goes over that. Sure."
Old 11-18-2002, 01:11 PM   #9
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Did they put a helmet on it, too?
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:00 AM   #10
And
Conjunction

It's probably a net bag to act as a restrictive body-sock or something, so all they have to do to haul it back up is watch the head, I guess...
Old 11-19-2002, 08:18 AM   #11
chrisinhouston
Professor

FYI:

FYI:
The mute swan breeds in the British Isles, north central Europe and north central Asia. It winters as far south as North Africa, the Near East, and to northwest India and Korea. It has been successfully introduced in North America, where it is a widespread species. It is a common breeding species and permanent resident in various locations throughout Michigan.

Physical Characteristics
Mass: 9 to 13 kg.
The mute swan is a large bird, measuring 57-62 inches. The wingspan is 7-8 feet. The two sexes are alike in appearance, except that the male is generally larger than the female. Its plumage is white, and it is best distinguished from North American swans by the knob at the base of its upper bill, and the color of the bill itself--orange, with the tip and base colored black. The head and neck of the swans may sometimes be stained brown from water and mud containing iron.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:53 AM   #12
Joe
Master of the Domain

it's in the bag

That looks like a climber's rope bag. I bet the firemen had a few laying around empty after they set up their rappels, and just brought one down.

And yeah, the one holding the swan is probably saying "What do you think, about fifteen pounds? We're going to need extra stuffing".