The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Not to mention some drugs are fine in isolation but mix badly with other drugs.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #32
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hmm... no, I'm pretty sure the psychotic meth people are psychotic due to their long term addictive use. And using really potent versions, and smoking it to get it right into the bloodstream, over time their pleasure centers are just plain burnt out and paranoia sets in.

My friend was a careful user, very smart, studying bio, and still wound up addicted. But he may have been grounded enough and focused enough not to take so much he went over the line to that level.

The History section on Wikipedia is very interesting. For a long long time they didn't even know its adverse effects and it was available over-the-counter.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Did your friend put his life back in order?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I lost touch with him by the time I would have gotten news.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #35
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
But Tony, every expert knows meth turns you into a psychotic knife wielding father raper... within minutes. How could that dude concentrate on studies and complete college? Do you think maybe the experts only see the people doing meth that were psychotic before they did it?
I've done crank a handful of times, and I've always misbehaved while on it. Never illegal misbehavior, just being a dick misbehaving. I doubt if it was psychotic.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
I believe you, but I also believe it wasn't because of the pot.
I don't think the pot helped the situation. Even if this guy was already wrong in the head without it, having that extra hallucinogen (possibly mixed with something else as yet undetected) would not have made things better. They clearly didn't here. I know some people can go right off the rails with nothing more than their own brain chemistry and a bad day, and those are the people who shouldn't have anything else of that kind in the system mucking things up.

The problem is, you don't know who those people are until it happens, in the same way you may not know you're allergic to shellfish until you're in the ER with swollen everything and EpiPens sticking out of your thighs.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
My friend was a careful user, very smart, studying bio, and still wound up addicted. But he may have been grounded enough and focused enough not to take so much he went over the line to that level.
Well shit, that doesn't sell newspapers... or help get drug war funding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf View Post
I don't think the pot helped the situation. Even if this guy was already wrong in the head without it, having that extra hallucinogen (possibly mixed with something else as yet undetected) would not have made things better.
1-Pot shows up in drug tests weeks after it's had any effect.
2-Pot is not a hallucinogen.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #38
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
It can be.

Four years ago I had some brownies that were so potent I thought I had an acid trip.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That was just a sugar rush.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
Cyber Wolf

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
It sure is. It's classified as such. It may be a mild one, but it is one. It's not as powerful as acid or LSD, sure. But it is chemically a hallucinogen. Users' experiences will vary, just like with any drug. Compare with pain killers. Just because aspirin may not relieve pain from an individual's ouchie doesn't mean it's not an analgesic. Some people (for whatever reason) need Schedule II before the pain goes away.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Old 07-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Balderdash, only by people with a buck to be made or job security in mind, not by people that know what the fuck they're talking about.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

There is still too much we don't know to make black and white classifications. The effects of weed change tremendously depending on strain and the person and seems to fall under multiple different categories.

I am not aware of any explanation for the effects me and two of my friends felt (we came to the conclusion pretty much independently BTW) while the other three people taking it felt no such thing besides being very high. Also, there are anecdotal reports of weed users experiencing HPPD (Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder), which only occurs from use of hallucinogenic drugs. I wouldn't classify weed as a pure hallucinogenic but it can have hallucinogenic properties.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #43
Cyber Wolf

Well since I'm not looking to make a buck and it has nothing to do with my job or its security...

Quote:
High doses of cannabis can cause hallucinations and sensory distortions that can be very scary. Those who use the drug when anxious or depressed may find these conditions made worse. Panic and paranoia could then result.

Drugs that can ease pain are call pain killers. Drugs that can stimulate the nervous system are called stimulants. Drugs that can cause hallucinations are called hallucinogens.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #44
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Weed can do all three.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #45
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Like all inebriants YMMV, depending of the phase of the Moon, weight of the jockey, and square of the date.