The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #61
Paleobabe
Hopelessly Annoyed

Mr.Lifto works at my favorite bar.

Yes, I basically joined just to say that.
Paleobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #62
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyv
Oh yeah, I must be SUCH a control freak because I would like my husband to hang my towel up instead of leaving it bunched up on the couch, and how awful of me to want a native russian speaker to spend 5 minutes a day helping me learn. And any woman who doesn't like to fall in the toilet in the wee hours of the morning because her husband left the seat up is CRAZY.

The title was meant to attract attention, but I'm not trying to "train" my husband, jesus. I think that we should share equal responsibilities in the household. We both work and pay half of the bills. I do all of the cooking, dishes, bill-paying, errands like grocery shopping, going to the bank, etc. I bring him coffee and breakfast in bed to be nice, and I make his lunch for him.
He works and watches tv and reads the news online.
These are 100% of my household expectations for him:
1) put the toilet seat down, I don't want to fall in.
2) after you throw my towel on the couch, hang it back up after you shower, because if it's wet, it starts to smell like mold, and the dog lays on it.
3) you are a native russian speaker and I am trying to learn. I spend hours everday cooking or cleaning or doing errands. Please give me 5-10 minutes of your time to help me.
4) please don't be a TOTAL slob. I don't mind if you leave your dirty socks and clothes on the floor, I'm used to it. But the living room looks like crap because you're living out of a laundry bag on the couch.
5) Drink, eat and smoke whatever and whenever you want. Just be happy. I don't care how many hours you watch t.v or how often you screw me, or if you have to work overtime. I can live with a kiss in the morning and at night and let's cuddle while we sleep. A day together once a week is nice.
the end.
Apparently, it works both ways. My brother is obsessive-compulsive about cleaning. It appears to be aperonality trait, not a gender issue. Sure enough his wife gets really pissed off about his need for order. You know if there are any single gals out there; who need a husband that is obsessive about anything. Go to the nearest psychiatric hospital and you can find the man of your dreams.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #63
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleobabe
Mr.Lifto works at my favorite bar.

Yes, I basically joined just to say that.
We all have our reasons. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #64
Paleobabe
Hopelessly Annoyed

Well thank you. I guess I should post on some other threads now.
Paleobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:59 PM   #65
amygail
animal tamer

no kidding!!!
My man is twenty plus years older than me and you cannot teach a old dog new tricks.
But, I am a person of compassion.... and dont whack him too often with a newspaper.
amygail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:45 AM   #66
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Withholding punishment? Was he that bad?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #67
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I had a freakout at work the other night.

I am on a shift with mostly males, unless we have part-timers in (this includes the doc, and the ambulance crew).

I can deal with the seat up thing. That still doesn't bother me. I habitually check before I sit ... but I went into the bathroom to find an empty toilet paper roll on the holder, and an unbearable stench.

Light a goddamn match at least, or make a courtesy spray of the OSHA-approved air freshener we have four cans of in the bathroom. Light a match, leave the fan running, do something!!

I felt much better after the yelling.

And some chocolate.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:06 PM   #68
staceyv
Lecturer

I got my husband to hang my towel up I'm proud of myself for being so creative. I told him that I would hide his keys and cigarettes under it if I found it laying on the couch, and I would let him search the whole damn apartment for them. I didn't even have to really do it, somehow, just the threat seemed to work. He thought my threat was cute, so it was a win-win situation.
I usually hold big, long grudges, but I've decided not to let Undertoad's comments get to me, because they aren't true. He only thinks I'm a control freak because his ex-wife was. It's kind of like if your last boyfriend did drugs, you would probably start accusing more guys of doing drugs- even if they were just tired, hungover, or stressed out, you would probably be envisioning them in the bathroom snorting coke or whatever, this isn't the best example, but you know what I mean...What we experience in life stays with us and is part of our unique filter that we see the world through. So, because UT's ex was a control freak, he sees me trying to get my husband to do something minor and normal like hanging up a towel, and automatically assumes I'm a control freak. Silly, really. Especially since I let my husband pick out the color of my coat- I wanted red, he wanted tan- I got tan, He told me I shouldn't drink because I had a cold, so I didn't, I let him pick out danios for the fishtank even though they look stupid in there with the african cichlids and they'll probably eventually get killed, I worked last night and told him to go ahead and get drunk with his friends as long as he would come pick me up after work, etc. I could go on and on, but what's the point?
One thing I really need to learn is how to not let people's comments get to me, especially when they aren't true, and to stop being so defensive, because as long as I know who I really am, it shouldn't matter what other people think. I'm working on it...
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #69
glatt

Quote:
I worked last night and told him to go ahead and get drunk with his friends as long as he would come pick me up after work
Come pick you up after he was drunk? Or after he was drunk and sobered up again?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #70
lookout123
changed his status to single

life is a darwinian process folks. here honey, i'm going to go to work. you get loaded with your friends then come pick me up. i recommend that you drive very fast. in reverse. on the interstate. flip off the cops if you get a chance. i'll be waiting for you.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #71
staceyv
Lecturer

well, if that's not a sign that I am not a control freak, I don't know what is!
Come on, he's russian- he drives better when he's drunk.

(okay, he didn't get shit-faced, he just had a few drinks, okay?)
Old 03-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #72
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Come on, he's russian- he drives better when he's drunk.
only on russian streets. american streets are much trickier. and more importantly, we care a little more about the people getting creamed by drunk drivers.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #73
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
I got my husband to hang my towel up
This I don't understand. I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but if it's your towel, shouldn't you be the one hanging it up? Unless you mean the towel belongs to you but he's using it. But then I think "well, they're married. Do people really continue to keep something as trivial as linens separated into 'His' and 'Hers'? And if so, do they actually say 'His' and 'Hers'. And if they do, why is he using one that says 'Hers'? Did I wash any towels this week? Because I am NOT using a Spongebob beach towel!"
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #74
staceyv
Lecturer

perth, I do hang my own towel up. He throws it on the couch before he gets in the shower because I hang it on the shower rod and it's in his way. My grandmother gave me leopard print towels for my birthday, so I use those- that's how I know it's mine. I wouldn't really care if he used my towel, we are just in the habit of using our own towels that we had before we knew each other.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #75
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
perth, I do hang my own towel up. He throws it on the couch before he gets in the shower because I hang it on the shower rod and it's in his way. My grandmother gave me leopard print towels for my birthday, so I use those- that's how I know it's mine. I wouldn't really care if he used my towel, we are just in the habit of using our own towels that we had before we knew each other.
I want to play, too. Correct me if necessary:

When you get done showering, you flop your nasty wet towel over the shower curtain rod, knowing that it will be in the way of the next person to use it (presumably arsen). When the next person moves the towel that you put in their way, it becomes their responsibility to put it where it belongs (I'm assuming this place might be the laundry hamper or a towel rack. If they don't do it, you threaten them with the kidnapping of their own belongings.

I'm going to look up "control" one last time, just in case I missed something.

Please remember also that I totally took up for you when you were having that little episode last year w/your husband..i'm not being a jerk.