The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Killed by chips and toast

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006020536,00.html

By ALASTAIR TAYLOR
A LAD who only ate chips, toast and baked beans was killed by his junk diet — aged just 20.

...snip...

Mum Margaret, 48, said: “The hardest thing is he was so young. I’d do anything to have him back.”

(Except maybe regulate his diet when he was young enough to be trained? - Ed.)
Old 01-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Just eating poorly does not give you hepatitis.

Boy was up to something else.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I'm not sure of that. This was British food, after all...
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #4
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf

Boy was up to something else.
Not every hep is viral. Contaminated food can inflame the liver, as can food allergies and infections from other sources. It sounds like his general health was poor to begin with, and the nutritional deficit accounted for many nails in his coffin.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

on the upside, you CAN live on just potatoes!! YAY!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
on the upside, you CAN live on just potatoes!! YAY!
For a while.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

You dont "try" to get your kids to eat healthy, you FORCE them. How disturbing, bleeding to death rom the gums! I feel faint just reading that!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
chimmichunga
Soylent Greenhorn

I feel bad for mom, because no parent should bury a child. On the other hand, I think of her as a crazy lady. How can you as a parent of 6 other kids let him eat that way. Was he a miracle child? How are the other kids doing? How did the boy get to 20 yrs, without the pediatrician raising some flags? There has got to be more to that story, cause there is no way, that she has that many kids, and lets the one eat like that, and no one not question it. What happened to I let you eat what you want if you try something I want you to eat? Believe me gradually it works on picky eaters, you wear'em down after awhile. Either way sad really.
chimmichunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
be-bop
Operations Operative

We had real battles with our kids over meals and what they did or didn't like..
It became a real fight some nights but most kids eventually get it sussed..
There's so much processed crap thats directed at kids through advertising that it is hard to keep saying no.
As a parent it was so annoying to cook a nice meal with all the right things only to watch your kid shove it around the plate,whinging that she wanted chicken nuggets or some such crap
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-bop
As a parent it was so annoying to cook a nice meal with all the right things only to watch your kid shove it around the plate,whinging that she wanted chicken nuggets or some such crap
Well what pisses Mrs. Dallas and me off is that at any given meal, one kid will like something and the other won't--but you can serve the same dish a week later and they've changed positions. It's like they have a secret pact to never eat the same thing at the same meal.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

After I walked to school and back...... uphill...... both ways, etc, etc, etc, my mother put supper on the table. There was no choice and no whining.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
After I walked to school and back...... uphill...... both ways, etc, etc, etc, my mother put supper on the table. There was no choice and no whining.
Word to yo mama. As they say.

My B.I.L. an MD, lets his kid eat pastries, ice cream, and donuts because he is a "vegetarian". Seven frickin years old. This is a vegetarian that must love vegetables as much as animals, 'cause he won't eat vegetables either. Just sugar.

What a train wreck.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

be-bop, SD, Ft-I.L., etc: Right on.

It *is* hard to get the kids to eat right. Frankly, I have to pick my battles. And going to DefCon 1 over the third PBJ sammich of the night is very rarely worth it.

I have slowly grown wise to the advantages I hold. Y'know "Old age and treachery will overcome Youth and enthusiasm" or words to that effect? I do the shopping. Hehehe... "What do you mean, we're out of chicken nuggets?!" "Yes, you *can* have a snack, honey. What do you want, an apple, banana or an orange? Crunchy? We have carrots. No, the Moon Pies are gone. Uh huh, fudge cookies too. Sorry. What? Not really hungry? Ok."

Which brings me to the last point. We have a busy household, and a sit down dinner must mean it's Christmas. But even with the regular traffic in the kitchen, it does close at night. I am t-i-r-e-d of "Can I have a peanutbutterandjellysandwichplease, I'm hongry." at 10:45 pm. On a school night. By SonofV the Younger. He's not freakin malnourished, he's stalling bedtime. See, I can learn. eventually. So my answer has become: "You should have thought about that at dinnertime. Kitchen's closed. Loveya, g'night." Click.

*sigh*

I am consciously trying to avoid the sins of the father by not indoctrinating him into the "Clean Plate Club". I'm sure I'm making plenty of other mistakes for him to entertain his future therapists, but that tradition ends with me. And it's **hard**. F*ck, half the time I wind up cleaning his plate. Into my own belly. I know, bad habit. But it's mine, not his, so shaddup.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
My god V,
I remember my dad cleaning my plate while lecturing about the depression (uphill etc) and thinking "why?"

Now, I cringe at the morsels left behind by the inchling, and I gobble them up wondering "how did I become my father?"

Yeah, if he's not hungry I don't force it, but we're pretty crunchy granola at my house. A homemade cookie (a fraction of the sugar called for) is about as nasty as his treats get. He doesn't have any idea ice cream exists, he has only seen two short animal/nature videos in his entire life.

When he gets older he can watch all the tv he wants, after he's mucked the metaphoric stables.

On the other hand, The menu is limited to what we are eating, when he was just a millimeter, we'd just grind up our dinner in a mill and give hm that. Those were some long ass salt free months...

He seems to like food well enough and both of us are making an effort not to make "food" become anything more than pleasant time spent as a family.

Check with us in a few years HA!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

In a pitched battle right now over homework.

Food is entirely off the radar as a bone of contention.

My God. It has taken 17 minutes to do 29.4 * 76.

He called me a jerk under his breath, and I gave him his last free pass to not be killed. When I guide him Socratically, he's able to answer all the questions about which two numbers are to be multiplied, he (mostly) gets the answer right, he knows where to put the answer, he knows what to do (mostly) with the carry digit, addition is easy for him (mostly) but ....

Arrrrrrrggggghhh!!

Just take the next two numbers and work them. Then move on to the next two numbers and work them. Then move on to the next two numbers and work them. Ok, I see a pattern here, but he can get sidetracked sooooo easily. Between the letters D - O - G he'll be off chasing the cat. Just stay on target. (head pounding now. I need a tylenol.)

Sorry for the off topic post. Ok, here you go: doctor said, PBJ? No upper limit. Let him eat them. Great. One fewer things to worry over. Sheesh.