The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Hot Dog Related Stuff

I've been doing all kinds of research on the hot dog business lately. There was a TON of stuff I didn't know and I've been learning a lot.

I never knew people in the south put slaw on their dogs. I didn't know Chili dogs came from Cincinnati or that their chili has chocolate in it. There's terminology associated when buying food from distributors, etc.

I'm excited. This is really going to happen.

Right now I'm learning a lot about the paperwork, accounting, business structures, tax ids, the different ways you can use the cart to make money with the cart depending on your business model, the health codes, permits, licenses, temperatures, procedures, best locations, ways to make the health inspector happy, ways to avoid being hassled by cops, etc.

There are a number of books out there about this business. I got 2. I'm also considering going to Hot Dog University. It was on the CBS News.

This combined with working my with my uncle Manny should really prepare me to open the best possible hot dog business in a clean, safe, and profitable way and to provide an excellent product and experience for the customers.

I'll know by the end of the month if I'm moving forward on this. It's looking good so far though.

I'd love to hear from you guys about what your favorite hot dogs are. What brand? What toppings? Where did you get 'em? What makes you stop for a dog?

In Florida there's a lot of competition in the hot dog business, but I'll give it a shot. They have a chain down there called "Hot Dog Heaven" so I thought it would be good to use the name "Devil Dogs" as a fun way to compete. Maybe we could setup a contest every year between us. We'd both make money and it would be funny. Besides selling hot dogs, brats, and italian sausage & peppers, I could sell t-shirts, hats with horns on 'em, keychains, etc.

I'm still trying to come up with a cute, fun, mischievous but non-threatening, hot dog mascot with horns and a pitchfork with a pointy arrow tail. I can put it on menus, signs, punch cards, hats, t-shirts, the van I'll use to pull the cart, etc. for branding.