The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Things we want

Have you ever found something that you think would be cool to have but you honestly know that you really have no need for.

I have a few rechargeable spotlights in the house in case of power failures. They are in the 1 million candlepower range. This is enough to throw a visible circle on the trees 150 feet away from my house about 40 feet in diameter.

Cabelas is selling a 10 million candlepower rechargeable spotlight . Short of hosting a Hollywood premier in your backyard or guiding in planes loaded with contraband in deserted fields, what does anyone need with a 10 million candlepower spotlight?

And yet I want one.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 10-16-2004 at 10:19 PM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
Roosta
Nutter.

Yep! an AC mains adaptor that plugs into the cig lighter in the car. I've only ever used it once and that was just to see if it worked. I plugged a 100w table lamp into it, grinned, unplugged it and threw it in a cupboard. What a waste of fifty quid!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosta
Yep! an AC mains adaptor that plugs into the cig lighter in the car. I've only ever used it once and that was just to see if it worked. I plugged a 100w table lamp into it, grinned, unplugged it and threw it in a cupboard. What a waste of fifty quid!!!
Well, it would probably drain your car battery, but you could get an electric grill and a floor mat. Drive up to your girlfriends house, put the floor mat and grill on the hood of your car, plug it in and put on some burgers and sausages. When they're ready, ring the doorbell and invite your friend out for lunch.

She'll either think you're clever or crazy.

P.S. In America we call that 'tailgating'. Since it's England and the front of the vehicle, I don't know what to call it - 'bonneting?'
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 10-17-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

..........is that what tailgating means?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
That's one of the two commonly-known definitions for the word here in the States. The other being "driving extremely close to the person in front of you."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Two meanings -

1) Driving too closely to another vehicle.
2) Serving food out of the back of a vehicle as a picnic or barbeque.

I don't know what the English tradition is at sports events, but in the US there are still stadiums which allow small parties in their parking lots. In many cases people now use free standing grills, but you used to be able to fold down the tailgate of a truck or station wagon and place a grill or hibachi on it or use it as a serving platform.

Now that sports stadiums are even more dependent on their concessions, I have heard that there have been attempts to discourage the practice.

The definition has been stretched to include any outdoor party near a sports event. IMO, if you don't have a car or truck in the background, it's not a tailgate party.

Last edited by richlevy; 10-17-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
TheSnake
Resident President

I always wanted basically a cart on a monorail that went down the steps in my house, turned the corner and took you all the way to the kitchen. I suppose it's like a roller coaster, but the idea is not that outlandish.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
I don't know what the English tradition is at sports events
Extreme violence.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The KC Chiefs have one of the greatest of tailgating traditions, with thousands of people cooking in the parking lots of Arrowhead Stadium before each home game. However, we have banned charcoal grilles due to a wind having blown over a grille some years back, igniting a grassy area and burning numerous vehicles.

There have been no active attempts to ban tailgating, though. There would be riots in KC if they did.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Let's see ... I want a Barrett 50

And one of those wall screen 60 inch plasma tv monsters. I think it would be THE SHIT for videogaming.

But I need those, so it doesn't really fit the topic, does it ...

Ok, I got something ... I want a floor length mink. Although possibly not a coat. I was thinking something more in a hooded cloak ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
The KC Chiefs have one of the greatest of tailgating traditions, with thousands of people cooking in the parking lots of Arrowhead Stadium before each home game.
They also have a great tradition of having great regular seasons, then choking like little bitches in the playoffs.

--I wouldn't mind a second computer. I have a bid in for one on eBay right now, but I'll probably lose b/c I don't want to pay any more than I bid. Of course, if I win the computer, it'll need an OS and some upgrades.

--I'd like an iPod...the biggest one they make.

--I'd also like a CD changer in my car...and XM.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
They also have a great tradition of having great regular seasons, then choking like little bitches in the playoffs.

I want these Ugg boots and

these Manhattan chairs in cherry red.

Are you playing Santa this year Rich?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:01 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Ha! Piffle on you both! The Chiefs have started a new tradition this year...sucking right from the start! No way we're going to have a post-season letdown loss this year, is there?!!
Old 10-18-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Short of hosting a Hollywood premier in your backyard or guiding in planes loaded with contraband in deserted fields, what does anyone need with a 10 million candlepower spotlight?
Hunting, of course; it IS from Cabelas.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx

I want these Ugg boots and

these Manhattan chairs in cherry red.

Are you playing Santa this year Rich?
While I might be fat, I'm not jolly and certainly not that generous. BTW, I saw those chairs in Pottery Barn and the first thing I thought of was how someone would pay $1400 bucks for the kind of chair you find in yard sales. Maybe not leather, but that style is 40 years old.