The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Drew for the Price is Right.

Good choice IMHO, beats the thought of having that other well known fat-assed loudmouth woman Rosie.

'Price Is Right' for Drew Carey
NEW YORK (AP) - Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right." The deal was set Monday afternoon shortly before a taping of CBS' "Late Show" with David Letterman, where he confirmed it.
"I realize what a big responsibility this is," he said. "It's only a game show, but it's the longest-running game show in American television and I plan to keep it that way."

The selection attracted more attention than usual for a daytime show because of the prospect of replacing Barker, 83. Barker retired after 35 years in the job last month following taping of his 6,586th episode.

The opening attracted widespread interest, including from comic Rosie O'Donnell after she left "The View."

Carey, 49, spent a decade on his own ABC sitcom and also was host of the improvisational game show "Whose Line is It Anyway?"

He will also be host of a new CBS prime-time game show, "The Power of 10," that will air first next month. He told The Associated Press on Monday that CBS officials first contacted him about "The Price is Right" immediately after he completed a pilot of the other game show this spring.

"My agent called me and said `I was talking to CBS casting today' and in my head I was thinking, `Oh, `CSI' guest star?' And he said what would you think about replacing Bob Barker on `The Price is Right?'"

Asked if he found the prospect of replacing such a TV legend daunting, Carey recalled talking to a friend who knows the game show business who told him, "as long as Bob Barker is cool with it, the fans will be cool with it." While he doesn't know Barker, Carey said he's comfortable that his predecessor will be accepting.

The negotiation process was nerve-racking. While he was talking with CBS about the job, Carey said he got a call from another lawyer in Hollywood who told him one of his clients was offered "The Price is Right" job.

He figured CBS had lined up back-ups if the first choice did not come through.

"If I was going after a second baseman, I wouldn't just talk to one second baseman," the Cleveland Indians fan said. "If I were the general manager, I would be talking to a few second basemen."
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Oh, I forgot about him.. when I saw the subject I was thinking, "Dr. Drew?? . . . Drew Barrymore?? . . . ??"
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't think he can't make the Hole in One (or Two) Putt.

The fit's not there.

Rosie would have been totally wrong, but he's not that much better.

It's not a quip-comedy type setting. Carey's style of humor is too fast for old people (the primary audience) to grasp.

I think they should have just retired the show along with Bob.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
jester
why so serious

I think Drew Carey is hilarious - we'll see how it works out though. It's kind of hard to replace a host that has been there so long. Kind of like with Family Feud - Richard Dawson was the best - since then they have had 3 (i believe) different hosts. I hope it goes well for him.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
It's not a quip-comedy type setting. Carey's style of humor is too fast for old people (the primary audience) to grasp.
So, how about Dick van Dyke? Or Andy Griffith?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm torn. I like Drew well enough, but he might be a bit more boisterous than the audience is used to. Not that the audience isn't boisterous, but Bob was always a calmer. I guess we'll see. I was thinking along the lines of John O'Hurley.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

wasted talent. shame.

at least rosie didn't strong-arm her way in there.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Drew will do a good enough job.. Rosie would have put the show in the toilet for good.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

I think he will do a good job. I am not so sure the audience is quite as old as one might think. It is a college staple!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yeah, it's pretty much for "people who can watch TV at that hour". College kids, stay-at-home-parents, telecommuters, old folks. A pretty wide range. I think Drew's genial enough to do it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

And night-workers, like me. I don't know about Drew...I'll have to watch and see. I just hope they don't switch it to prime time.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think they need a comedienne for the job. I think he can do it but I also think it's a waste of talent. The one thing Drew has going for him is I think he still connects to ordinary people... not a self involved "star".
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM   #13
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I remember once when Jughead was teaching Archie how to get money from his dad. He said go up to him and ask for a thousand bucks. When dad recovers, tell him "OK, that was a lot, can I just get a hundred bucks?"

This sounds like many people's view on Drew, from what I read: "Well, at least it ain't Rosie." Which is true, but funny.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
MalzB
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I think they should have just retired the show along with Bob.
Couldn't agree more.

The show will have lost that "something." Drew may be okay for it, but I think it would have been better for them to just go out with Bob Barker.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wolf, MalzB, what are you crazy? That show is a money maker... a damn big money maker, too. We're not talking about a work of art that could be sullied, it's a cash cow to be milked for all it's worth.