The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-05-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Rachael's Rays

The poularity of Rachael Ray, that generically handsome and perky "chef" of easy to understand and make recipies and meals, has become almost unbearable. Only if you live under a rock have you not seen her; she is ubiquitous at present, and let me tell you why:

She has the highest positive response in brain-analysed focus groups. That's how it works these days. It's not about raw talent, or intelligence, or class, or even subject matter knowledge. If the brain scans show positive response to the face, speaking style, and overall physical presence, it becomes a done deal.

Isn't she cute!!! How could you NOT like her?

To women, Rachael Ray is that unthreatening friend that makes them feel good and, while attractive, is not "too" sexy and will not try to seduce and fuck their husbands (she's married, after all). To men, she is that friend of their wives who they'd like to fuck, but that they know their wives would probably not think so. Men can watch the show with their wives that way.

Other factors like the fact she won't make you uncomfortable about your general lack of skill and knowledge in the cullinary arts and that her meals are "quick" and "easy" certainly help. But in the end, it's her generic (and unthreatening) good looks, relatively small breasts, and friendly (and unthreatening) manner that takes the day...and the night, and the TV talk show she now has, and the magazines, and the numerous cooking books, and now the labels of any number of Nabisco products for which she is now the spokesperson. All because the focus group people's brain scans show purple and yellow in the right places when they watch her. Hooray for technology! Let us know when you guys get that AIDS thing under control.

In a not-so-small minority of people, however, the Rachael Ray brain scans come out SCREAMING hatred and disdain. These Rachel Haters have their own Web sites where they can commiserate on their mutual disregard for the popular woman. Their main complaint is how she's "dumbed down" the cullinary arts (cooking) and that, well, she's too popular.

What do I think? I don't really care because I have no urge or need to watch her. I'm kinda annoyed that now she's plastered all over every box of Triscuits, Wheat Thins, and other Nabisco products, and you have to wonder how sophisticated her recipies are if Triscuits and Wheat Thins are important staples in her cuisine, but what can you do? This is her time.

Last edited by Pangloss62; 12-05-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: fix
Pangloss62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I have apparently been under a rock. Does the lipstick always match the housewares? I think the last cooking show I saw was the SNL send up of Julia Childs bleeding on the set... good stuff!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
Does the lipstick always match the housewares?
Well mine does, but some people are slackers.

I actually have the cookbook pictured above. I had never heard of her--this is before she was on every streetcorner as Pangloss says--but the recipes looked good. In fact, this may be the last cookbook I ever bought as I realized that every recipe I needed was on the net.

I agree, I have a violent reaction to anything or anyone overcommercialized. Hopefully she'll have her fifteen minutes and move on.

(BTW, from the thread title I was expecting you to discuss her, well, headlights.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I first disliked Ms. Ray when I watched an episode of $40 a Day. It was really the show concept that pissed me off the most--I think it encourages cheapskate travellers to tip measly, if at all--so I probably would've hated any host of the show.

Then I saw her interviewed on a talk show, and the pitch and manic speed of her talking literally gave me a headache. I don't know if she was nervous (how? She has something like five shows) or popped a pill backstage, but I couldn't keep watching.

I assumed that she is not much of a cooking expert, after I read a synopsis of Iron Chef and saw that she had to be paired with an actual chef to compete. I guess the point was to draw in her fans to watch; nothing wrong with that.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
(BTW, from the thread title I was expecting you to discuss her, well, headlights.)
Hahaa, me too.

I can't STAND RR - her squeaky voice, her fucking dumb kindergarten-level teaching style, the horrendously boring food she cooks, the absurdity that any level-headed human could and would travel to the world's biggest cities and only spend $40 a day. Her show is like the Sesame Street of Food Network, right down to the lame acronyms and phrases she uses. (Can't you picture E.V.O.O. popping up as big, multi-colored bubble letters each time she says it?)

However, I recognize she is incredibly cute, and man would I love to let her have a taste of my all-natural, original flavor tubesteak. But my friend maintains his theory that RR would much prefer food to sex, that she would rather dive head-first into a bin of chocolate than be screwed silly by any of the thousands of men who would jump at the opportunity. I have to agree.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
However, I recognize she is incredibly cute, and man would I love to let her have a taste of my all-natural, original flavor tubesteak.
Right, then she'd look at you afterwards and say, "De-LISH!"
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I, too, and living the ROCK lifestyle and do not knwo her. Any brain scans of me would wonder why some one needs a mouth that big. It's scary in a Julia Roberts kind of way.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've never enjoyed her voice or her down-home speech mannerisms. HOWEVER, as someone who literally learned how to cook just in the last year, starting from absolutely nothing (sorry, we didn't all have Julia Childs for a mother), I can tell you that her "kindergarten-level teaching style" is precisely what makes her appealing. Her recipes may be boring, but they're a damn good starting place.

I think my generation was seriously neglected in the cooking arena. None of my friends learned how to cook from their parents. Someone in the cookbook thread, I think it was footfootfoot, was complaing about how pathetic it was that the new version of "The Joy of Cooking" didn't even have such basics as how to make your own mayonnaise, and the only thing I could think was "WTF? People DO that?!" For the first 18 years of my life, my family ate out at restaurants at least 2-3 times a week, and the rest of the time we ate the same 6 or 7 really simple meals, over and over and over. Rachael Ray is the halfway house between box macaroni and Julia Childs. You have to respect that she fills a legitimate niche.

On the other hand, I readily admit she is really annoying. I get all her recipes straight from the Food Network website.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Hey, I take one look at her, and all I can think about is eating.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
I, too, and living the ROCK lifestyle and do not knwo her. Any brain scans of me would wonder why some one needs a mouth that big. It's scary in a Julia Roberts kind of way.
Needs a mouth that big...lmao!

She's a bit much on the perk-o-meter for me. I like it when you find out these kinds of celebrities have completely out of control personal lives: in a couple years she'll get a DUI, rant about some religious or cultural group, they'll find a pound of marijuana in her van and find she beats her husband with her cooking implements.

Now THAT's entertainment.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

She is waaay too perky, and the high baud rate inane chatter is annoying. But she does one thing: encourage people to actually cook.
I usually spend an hour making dinner most nights, but most of my friends are stretched to the max at the concept of opening a box of rice-a-roni. So anyone who can get these guys (yes, mostly men) to grill a chicken breast and put it on some pasta -- wow! Actual food!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I like her.

I am not sure why people enjoy soft targets so much. Especially men. I mean why not diss Bobby Flay instead?

I am not perky however my son says I could be her twin or sister.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
She is waaay too perky
I have a high perk tolerance.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
glatt

I remember seeing her a couple of times making guest appearances on other shows. I liked her. She seemed very vibrant and interesting. And kind of hot. Then I think somewhere here on the Cellar, somebody mentioned that she was way to perky. That was a while ago. I saw her once since, and that had ruined it for me. Now she annoys me. A shame, because I liked her.

It's like my grandfather would often complain about dogs barking off in the distance. I usually hadn't noticed the dogs, but then they would bother me after his comments.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I remember seeing her a couple of times making guest appearances on other shows. I liked her. She seemed very vibrant and interesting. And kind of hot. Then I think somewhere here on the Cellar, somebody mentioned that she was way to perky. That was a while ago. I saw her once since, and that had ruined it for me. Now she annoys me. A shame, because I liked her.

It's like my grandfather would often complain about dogs barking off in the distance. I usually hadn't noticed the dogs, but then they would bother me after his comments.
*voodoo eyes* You hate money, Glatt. You want to send it all to dar512.*/voodo eyes*

Sounds like you are way too open to suggestion, G.