The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 08-22-2002, 03:08 PM   #1
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

New photo web site

I am currently developing a web site, www.free-photographs.net offering free photographs, clip art, desktop wallpaper and web graphics for non-commercial and/or commercial use for web sites and other projects depending on the contributor's preferences/terms of use.

Demo pages and submission procedures are now available for viewing at the site.

The forum admin has generously allowed me to invite submissions from anyone here who is interested contributing as a way to promote their own web site and/or business.

The site is experimental and, if successful, will be expanded to include general articles on both traditional and digital photography (how to, equipment etc.) and maybe other photography related subjects.

Any writers out there can also submit articles for consideration.

Strict Terms and Conditions for use of the images will be laid out on the site.

EVERY photograph posted will, depending on the contributor’s requirements, include any or all of the following information (provided by the contributor) next to it on the page:

·Image name
·Image size
·Image file size
·Contributor’s name
·Contributor’s contact information
·Contributor’s URL
·Restrictions on use (e.g. non-commercial only etc.)

Thanks for allowing me to plug the site Admin. We'll be linking back to you on the finished version of the site and I promise I'll post more often now I have time
Lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:21 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Sure thing Lt. It sounds like a cool project and I wish you well on it. Amateur 'tographers should take note - I know I will.

(And see folks, if you ask first, and link back, it's NOT SPAM!)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:31 PM   #3
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

acshully, I hope Admin remembers...it was a couple of months ago I requested permission, then got real busy with commercial work.

Admin DID say wait til the site goes live tho...
Old 08-22-2002, 03:42 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Admin = me, roughly speaking
Old 08-22-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

~~ Stands To Attention and Salutes~~ Sorry sir...didn't realize.... :p
Old 08-24-2002, 12:55 AM   #6
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

I made a banner (it's on the front page right now).

Let me know if you approve.

When I update the site the number of your banners and pages they appear on will vary (I gotta use paying ads too, I'm expecting some hefty bandwidth usage!)
Old 08-24-2002, 09:43 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Looks good.

Bandwidth: it's interesting, I wonder exactly how much bandwidth you'll really need if the site is reaching its target. Ideally it would have a lot of browsing and then not too many downloads of the actual images, eh?
Old 08-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #8
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

I hope it would show a lot of bandwidth usage with lots of downloads actually.

I want the site to be useful to people and something they revisit. I just hope people click on a few ads to offset some of the costs!

I sure know I won't be making any money off it but I don't mind supporting it as long as it gets used.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:33 AM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, the thing is, one pic download is equal to maybe 20 thumbnails or maybe 50 pages of text? I dunno, but the numbers are interesting.

I got a quick lesson in how my own bandwidth works when one hosting client put up one mp3 (of his own recording) and told 500 people about it. It doesn't matter if they hit you with modems; 30 downloaders of a large file will max my circuit out. It took the day where we had 809 visitors to do the same thing with the roughly text-only Cellar.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:56 AM   #10
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

Good point, well presented. You've actually sparked a nasty thought on that subject.

Posting the downloads in zip files is ok for uncompressed images that won't display in the browser (tif, psd etc.) but it will add to the size of jpegs which are already compressed?

I'm thinking I need to pop up the full size images of photo's etc. for a right click download and put stuff like clip art (wmf files) somewhere else to download as zips...hmmmmm
Old 08-30-2002, 03:37 PM   #11
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

Database is up, test pages start at http://www.free-photographs.net/viewimages.asp comments always welcome!
Old 10-20-2002, 11:33 PM   #12
Lt
Fresh Incumbent

After a few false starts and the loss of a lot of work (never use ReadyHosting as a web host!) we have gotten the database to run correctly.

We have uploaded a few examples so you can see how it works and, hopefully, some of y'all will contribute.

We decided to order the pics in "new-pics-first" order for repeat visitors.

We have lots of work this week inc. a weekend trip to NY (anyone know a good curry house up there so a Brit can feel at home?) then we will be aiming to upload about 50 - 100 images a week of our own plus any that are sent by other contributors.

Admin, in the interests of fair play, we added an extra link to you on the About Us page as well as those that will appear throught the site as it grows so we wouldn't feel guilty about bumping the thread. Damn this social conscience.

Thanks y'all.