The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #631
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hmm. I haven't read any Aubrey-Maturin novels. I may check some out.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #632
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

No! How awesome!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 AM   #633
DanaC

I know! That's what i thought! *does a very happy dance*

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, hold a very special place in my heart. I read them first time out when I was about 12, because my Dad my older brother and my Mum were all reading them. Martin (my bro) had bought the first one as a paperback, read it, said how good it was and mum gave it a go. When he bought the second paperback, Dad was half way through the first.......each one of the books did the rounds of my entire family, including me heheh.

I was quite ill at that time (bout a year and a half, as the books came out in paperback and then did the rounds) so needed something to dive into. No book has ever transported me quite so completely as the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I swear I could almost taste the berries:P
Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 AM   #634
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's an amazing story that's for sure. I first started reading the covenant series when I was about 18. My b/f at the time got me started on them.

When I left him, I stole his covenant books.

Those ones have since fallen apart or not been returned after loaning, so I've got fairly new copies of the whole series to date.

I love stephen donaldson as an author. Have you read 'the gap' series? If not, you should have a peek. It's brilliant.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #635
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Dana,What reading level are The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ?

What makes the Gap series stand out ? I am looking for good science fiction for my son. He did hate and could not finish the Catcher In The Rye calling the character one miserable whiney #%^ ...well you know. Seems like the main character of the Chronicles is a bit like that?

Last edited by skysidhe; 01-09-2007 at 07:40 AM. Reason: adding something
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #636
DanaC

Ali, I loved the Gap series. The characters were brilliant. It was so vast in scale too.
He said in an interview that he wrote the The Real Story: Gap into Knowledge, as a novella about a decade earlier, and left it in his desk drawer, slightly disturbed by his own writing. Then he was driving along and listening to Wagner's Ring Cycle and the story came back to him and seemed to fit: hence it became a vast and sprawling space opera

Sky, I don't really know what the reading age would be. If you were to SPOC test it, it would likely come out at Level 2-3, which means well into the adult field. Level 1 is about age 14-15.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #637
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

LJ, don't let wolf and UG scare you off the George R.R. Martin. "Game of Thrones" is awesome and it only gets better with subsequent books in the series.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 AM   #638
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yeah, A Song of Ice and Fire is my favorite series coming out now. And I'm a big fan of the Thomas Covenant series, too. When are the next books in each series coming out?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #639
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ch'yeah, i'm gonna take ug's advice about fiction. i'm loving it. the narrator is fantastic, too. does great voices, and reads at a nice slow pace in an old english accent. my impersonation of an english accent has improved because of it.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #640
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

HM, the first one(covenant) is out. it wasn't as good as the firt series, IMO. not nearly.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #641
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
my impersonation of an english accent has improved because of it.
Evidence please! A youtube mehmehmeh in an English accent at the very least....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
I am looking for good science fiction for my son. He did hate and could not finish the Catcher In The Rye calling the character one miserable whiney #%^ ...well you know. Seems like the main character of the Chronicles is a bit like that?
What age is your son? I couldn't make it through the Catcher in the Rye when I was a teenager for the same reason... I'm pretty good at remembering books that made an impression on me so I might be able to suggest something...?

I'm currently reading Abhorsen - the third in the Garth Nix series - Sabriel and Librael were the first two. An ex lent me Sabriel ("You read children's books about magic don't you?") and I found it interesting enough to pick up the others second hand.

I have at least 5 unread books scattered around my flat, am hoping for a book finding session this weekend.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #642
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
HM, the first one(covenant) is out. it wasn't as good as the firt series, IMO. not nearly.
Yeah, but I still want the next one...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #643
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Bernard Cornwell fans [I've only read some of his Sharpe's Rifles novels] would probably enjoy Patrick O'Brian, too. I'm reading all the Aubrey-Maturin novels I can get hold of in order of publication, which is roughly their order in the time they're set in -- the Napoleonic era.

But watch out -- these novels will give you the dangerous and unjustified impression you could go out and conn, fight, and trim the sails of a circa-1800 ship of the line with a week's hands-on experience, such is their vividness of time and place!
Patrick O'Brian is on my short list.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM   #644
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Dana,What reading level are The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant ?

What makes the Gap series stand out ? I am looking for good science fiction for my son. He did hate and could not finish the Catcher In The Rye calling the character one miserable whiney #%^ ...well you know. Seems like the main character of the Chronicles is a bit like that?
I'd put the reading level of Thomas Covenant Chronicles at about early high school.

Thomas Covenant is indeed a world-class whiner. Two worlds' class, actually, which is strange considering that when here on earth he is a hard-bitten, surly, competent adult. Stick him in the middle of a land with magickal powers and he becomes a big, whiny baby. I did not like the books, although I did read the first two trilogies, just to make sure. I even have a boxed set of the first three books.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #645
DanaC

No way does the word preturnatural appear in an early high school book;nor, come to think of it, does the 'hero' of the book generally commit crimes like rape and end up intrinsically linked to the victim in a high school book. The story dealt with some complex issues and character developments And the character wasn't whiny, he was conflicted and bitter.

Tags
books