The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #316
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Squirrels don't like Pop-Tarts.

What? It's all I got.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #317
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Squirrels don't like Pop-Tarts.

What? It's all I got.
Well, see here, you were probably trying to pawn off some blueberry or strawberry poptarts. What you need to do is give 'em Brown Sugar Cinnamon 'tarts. It has to do with moles liking sugar and molasses. Or something.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #318
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Holy shit, , they were the blueberry ones!!!

And they were stale.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #319
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

see? Blueberry poptarts. Your squirrels used to really like you. Now they're plotting your demise.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #320
FIRE
Trilby's Golden Child

Let's see, I learned a lot today...

1. My mom is still making an impact on the cellar almost a year after she has passed.
2. I have hours and hours of very (insert any appropriate adjective) posts my mom wrote I can't wait to read through.
3. You can get almost any cool username you want on this site, unlike Twitter. (Shameless plug: follow my fitness Twitter account @OhioExercise).
4. This site was established the same year I was established.
5. I really like the people on this website a lot. It's a different perspective from the drugged out, dramatic bullshit I encounter on a daily basis dealing with my peers.
FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #321
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hola Fire, welcome
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #322
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Hello, FIRE.
I think I can safely say: your mom will never be forgotten here.
She was incredibly kind and supportive to me when I had my breast cancer diagnosis in 2012.
May I suggest that, rather than reading archived posts, you forge ahead and contribute to this community from your own perspective? I'd love to read about your goals, your values, your thoughts for the future. I appreciated your mother's help so much in my time of crisis; I'd feel privileged to hear from you about your current endeavors and your dreams of the future.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #323
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hello FIRE.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #324
glatt

Hi FIRE, welcome.

Your mom was awesome, and we were saddened to lose her. I still think about her from time to time, and I never even met her.

I think as you read through her posts, you should keep in mind that she wasn't writing them with you as the intended reader. She was writing them to other people.

Also, reading individual posts by her will lose much of the context of those posts, you need to read through a whole thread and see what she said to get the full context. And to make things more difficult, conversations often are carried over from thread to thread with no obvious link. It's obvious at the time, but going back, you won't see it.

So keep all that in mind as you proceed.

But welcome!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #325
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Hey, bro.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #326
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
May I suggest that, rather than reading archived posts, you forge ahead and contribute to this community from your own perspective?
I respectfully disagree, but only with the word "rather" I think.
She communicated so well and with such force of personality when she was writing, that her posts here are a treasure trove. Yeah, there are plenty of post-its and bus tickets and even things she would have wanted burned, but it's still all her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I think as you read through her posts, you should keep in mind that she wasn't writing them with you as the intended reader. She was writing them to other people.

Also, reading individual posts by her will lose much of the context of those posts, you need to read through a whole thread and see what she said to get the full context. And to make things more difficult, conversations often are carried over from thread to thread with no obvious link. It's obvious at the time, but going back, you won't see it.

So keep all that in mind as you proceed.

But welcome!
I second this wholeheartedly.
Especially the reading around the topic thing. Sometimes I go back to individual posts and have to work out why and who, and I've been here for over a decade. You'd need Cliffs Notes (dunno if that translates) to get the whole thing, and even then some of it is just of it's time or just plain craziness. Specially because you know, it was your Mum. And she was friends with some other crazies. Like me.

But it's worth at least dipping into.
Just remember that you probably wouldn't want your Mum, or your girlfriend or even your best mate to read everything you've ever written...
Old 02-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #327
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Welcome FIRE.

Good to have you on board. The high idea density of your first post does your mom proud. There is indeed a great deal here to read from her, and to her and about her. Dig in man.

I'm also looking forward to hearing your voice too. Nice to meetcha.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #328
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hello Fire, and welcome. It's so very lovely to see you here.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 AM   #329
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome FIRE. I love(d) your mom's courage and her extreme cleverness. And I have a soft spot for psych nurses.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #330
glatt

Today I learned that Skid Row is a real place, and not just the imaginary setting of a cautionary tale told by my teachers years ago, explaining where I will end up if I don't study hard. The teachers told tales of people sleeping in the gutter, with empty booze bottles still in hand.

How did I find it? I came across a link of old photos of Los Angeles, and even though I don't know Los Angeles well at all, I was looking through them. I went to Google Earth to see if any of these old buildings were still there. And as I zoomed in to the historic old section of LA, near city hall, I saw a red dot a few blocks away that said "Skid Row."

If you zoom in and enter Street View, this is what you see:

Name:  Skid Row.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  54.6 KB

According to the Wikipedia page, it's got one of the largest stable homeless populations in the US, with 3-6K homeless.

It's amazing to me that it hasn't been gentrified. It's held the same role for over a century and is only blocks from the center of LA. I'd think it would be prime real estate that would be snatched up by developers and turned into office buildings and malls.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote