The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #46
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Day after Thanksgiving Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce on a french roll with thousand island dressing.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #47
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Whole grain bread (I like to make my own)
Mayo
Spicy mustard
Turkey or Ham
salami
sliced sharp chedder
sliced feta (not crumbled)
slices of tomato
alfalfa sprouts
slices of red onion
Amish country pickles

And I have to have hot peppers on teh side. Any kind of hot peppers...suprise me!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #48
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Fried bologna with fried green peppers and onions, mayo, and mustard on white bread.

it's horrible for you. and tastes like heaven.

But today was just turkey bologna on white, non-fried, with ketchup. It sustains for minimal calories, anyways.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #49
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Oh, sad...your problem was that bologna needs mustard. The plain old yellow kind. Ketchup doesn't even belong on hot dogs. It only belongs on fries or meatloaf.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #50
busterb
NSABFD

I pitch this in the mix. muffuletta
Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #51
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterb View Post
I pitch this in the mix. muffuletta
Is that a beef curtain/tongue combination?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #52
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

No, its what a fella sound like when tries to Talk with that combo !!!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #53
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Oh, sad...your problem was that bologna needs mustard. The plain old yellow kind. Ketchup doesn't even belong on hot dogs. It only belongs on fries or meatloaf.
i only agree with you if the sandwich has actual fixings on it like lettuce and onions. then, mayo and mustard all the way. but when it's just bread and bologna? only ketchup. i don't know why, that's just the way it is, and it's been that way since i was a kid and it also had to be applied in a smiley face.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #54
Shawnee123

Bread and bologna with yellow mustard OR colby cheese OR processed crap cheese.

I like lettuce but not on anything. I hate most condiments. No one ever likes to order pizza with me. I'm the least adventurous eater ever. Plain and simple...way too much going on for a lot of these "sandwiches" if'n you ask me. Might as well just roll around in the produce aisle.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #55
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

My favorite pizza - let's see how many gags and chokes I can get out of this: pepperoni and anchovy. but i like most pizzas, though i tend not to care for fancy ones that have chicken or barbecue other weird "premium" ingredients. plain pepperoni is great by me, too.

i will eat anything once, and most things twice just to be sure. I get a lot of funny/incredulous looks when I say "OH MY GOD THIS IS HORRIBLE" and follow it up by "YOU'VE GOT TO TRY THIS!" I just don't get not trying most things. I do have limits, but man, it's gotta be the stuff of nightmares or just blatantly not food for me to say no outright.

Otherwise I just had tuna salad. mayo, sweet relish, celery, and red onion. white bread. yum.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #56
Shawnee123

I like pepperoni and green olives. That is a bit of a weird combo, but I think it's the saltiness that I like. I do not like black olives. This isn't a racist thing.

My mom made me try brussels sprouts when I was a kid and I hated the taste so much I barfed! I really tried, but ewwwwww.

I always wonder if I didn't get just little bit spoiled in my food choices, or if taste preferences are not always learned behavior. There are some things I like that others can't stand, but my family never had to worry about me eating all the shrimp or all the lobster. However, I know if one is hungry enough one can eat anything.

So, taste for food: nature or nurture?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #57
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Pepperoni and green olives is a totally understandable mix: if you like that, you may even have a chance at liking pepperoni and anchovy, which is also a terrifically salty pie. You do have to like anchovy, though. Which, if you haven't tried in some form, I have some simple recipes with them that are so, so good.

Taste is a combination of nature and nurture, like most things There are universally appealing flavors - people like sugary and fatty and salty things - but beyond that? Totally exposure, I'm certain. I know folks that eat stuff on a regular basis that makes my skin crawl. Can't begrudge them it, though, it's what they know and like. Cultural exposure.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #58
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
So, taste for food: nature or nurture?
It can be both simultaneously: studies have shown that what your mother eats while pregnant with you will affect your food tastes later in life.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #59
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_winslow View Post
Taste is a combination of nature and nurture, like most things There are universally appealing flavors - people like sugary and fatty and salty things - but beyond that? Totally exposure, I'm certain. I know folks that eat stuff on a regular basis that makes my skin crawl. Can't begrudge them it, though, it's what they know and like. Cultural exposure.
What then of siblings with completely different tastes?
My brother was a "problem eater". Even now he barely touches fruit or vegetables unless heavily disguised. Not a problem for my sister and I. And yet my bro is far more adventurous in life and in food than my sister (I think that's down to nature - she's a deeply conservative person).
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #60
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Did you know that a zinc deficiency can lead to alterations in the sensation of taste? Some people who have supplemented with zinc have found that vegetables taste completely different afterwards, usually for the better.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote