The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #136
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

that image is the one I like best

and: that's fine, Sky.

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #137
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
and: that's fine, Sky.

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree...

I am not exactly disagreeing either. It's not about proving or disproving. I'm just picking and choosing. I choose to see this in a subjective rather than a critical or objective way. I know there must be a smidgen of truth in what you say. Much of science agrees with you.

Perhaps only critical and objective statements are best for a philosophy thread and I am way off the mark but there doesn't seem to be much critical analysis happening here anyway so I thought to have fun with it.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #138
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
"Perhaps you hadn't noticed that everyone else already stopped participating with you."

Seems to me, despite your assessment, the thread marches on in fits and starts.

#

"I WAS trying to be nice. Perhaps you should consider that next time. mmmkay?"

Actually you were acting like a great, flagellating, pussy. Since you are a great, flagellating, pussy, this is no surprise.

I, on the other hand, have been civil throughout till provoked by pedestrian insult and muddled thinking.

Classic: if you don't like 'me' (or my method of presentation) say so and move on.

If you don't like my positions, then, refute them or move on.

Frankly: I don't give a runny shit what you do. I think you're an idiot who couldn’t reason himself out of a paper bag. I don't like you. I can't see a single reason why anyone would.

So, to sum up: you’re a reactionary pussy...you can't think beyond the tip of your wet little nose...you can't refute me so you do what all great, flagellating, pussies do and dance fast and hard and avoid the topic(s) at hand.

Now: do something...pussy.

#

"How many have replied to HQ since 11:00 this morning?"

Figures: quantity is your measure of quality.

Sorry, don't know you that well other than being repeatedly offended by you and your generally unsupported, hard to read opinions Henry, but THIS post was completely uncalled for. Classic was asking for you to support or defend your opinion, simply because he had a conflicting opinion that he CAN support. You calling him names completely wiped away all respect I may have once had for you.

Just because you're lonely and sad and can't believe that any being might love you unless they SAY IT, doesn't mean you are right. I know my cat loves me, and I know lots of people on this planet are filled with love even though they can't SAY THOSE WORDS right now.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #139
henry quirk

"I am not exactly disagreeing either."

Even among hardcore analytic philosophers ambiguity abounds, so, no worries Sky.

#

"THIS post was completely uncalled for."

I disagree.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #140
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

There will only be peace once we are all crushed into a singularity

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #141
W.HI.P
Free

the word peace has lost its meaning.
its used to describe war.

it is not within our nature to have peace.
we've always made war, and we will always make war.
within human perception, war is as much a god as jesus or allah.

in this day and age, with human over-population, war holds greater value than peace.
war is a blessing if you think about it, much like a virus, aids, homo-sexuality and natural disasters.
our deaths need to start out-numbering our births.
some nations need to follow in china's footsteps.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #142
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Don't play me like your punk, mmmmmmkay?
Shawn, that's gonna call for you not to stay vulnerable to that. If the opposition can pants you and put you over a barrel, be sure they will. If they even think they can, they'll try. If they think your butt is cuter than LabRat's, they'll try all the harder. If they're old enough not to give a damn about cellulite, "old age and treachery" gets into it too. Hard to win when you're over a barrel.

There's a LOT of hemipygian philosophy written on the 'Net. If you don't like hemipygian, try sophomoric -- the word springs from "wise fool," you know.

(And maybe next time I come here I'll read the entire thread and say something really relevant instead of peripheral. 'Til then...)

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 10-09-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #143
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Oh, I hope you say something relevant. I've been waiting for so long. I think it's somewhere buried deep inside your irrelevance. A relevance cocoon, if you will.

Keep me posted. Ta ta!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #144
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Oh, I hope you say something relevant. I've been waiting for so long. I think it's somewhere buried deep inside your irrelevance. A relevance cocoon, if you will.
That was funny.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #145
henry quirk

Peace, I think, is another of those great, but sometimes useful, fictions like equality, justice, morality, ethics, etc.

A wonderful carrot to focus everyone's attention on, a goal to chase and devote one's self to. Always unobtainable.

#

And: dogs still can't love...HA!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #146
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Peace, I think, is another of those great, but sometimes useful, fictions like equality, justice, morality, ethics, etc.

A wonderful carrot to focus everyone's attention on, a goal to chase and devote one's self to. Always unobtainable.

#

And: dogs still can't love...HA!
Peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics (did you skip 'love' on purpose?). They aren't fictions. They're quite important. They're just hard to define in concrete terms.

If what dogs do isn't love (or at least companionship), then it's a really good imitation.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #147
Henry
King Of Oreos

Peace is relative and more often remembered than experienced.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #148
henry quirk

"Peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics (did you skip 'love' on purpose?). They aren't fictions. They're quite important. They're just hard to define in concrete terms."

In a philosophical sense they are fictions: peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics, these and others, only exist as compact or agreement between individuals. That is: for peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics to exist they must cudgeled together by individuals, then, agreed upon. To agree upon something requires at least two individuals.

Love too is a fiction, but a slightly different order of fiction, one that requires only 'one'. For example: if I'm right and dogs can't love, then the wholly reasonable love you feel for Fido is not reciprocated. This one-way love doesn't invalidate the love. Your love is something 'you' do whether or not the object (or subject) of your love feels, or is capable of feeling, the same.

What makes them all fiction (philosophically) is -- again -- the necessity that 'you' and/or 'me' 'do' them.

Also: peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics, democracy, etc., I maintain, are essentially unobtainable because each requires at least two to agree. Plenty of agreement there is, in the short-term...

Love (along with hate) has the virtue (or vice), being as it is 'done' by one, of potentially existing as long as the one does.

Nonetheless: kill all humans, everywhere, one minute from now, and peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics, love, democracy, hate, etc. (all esoterica) die with us.

The world has an objective reality independent of what you or I think or feel about it. But only you and me, him and her, and them, bring subjectivity (meaning) to the world.

So: forgive my imprecision. I don't mean to denigrate these 'fictions', only to label them as such and to place them properly 'within' 'you' and 'me'. That is: peace, equality, justice, morality, ethics, love and all the others are what we, as individuals, 'do'.

#

"If what dogs do isn't love (or at least companionship), then it's a really good imitation."

Dogs make great companions! For reasons that have nothing to do with love as you 'do' it.

And: computers can be made to be quite convincing in text responses to questions, so much so that, initially, it's hard to tell if the 'person' on the other end is a person or not.

A prepared response (a programmed computer or informally trained dog) does not a person or lover make...

Last edited by henry quirk; 10-13-2009 at 03:59 PM.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote