The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 07-06-2001, 03:58 AM   #1
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Genome@home

Many of you are familiar with the Genome@home project down at Stanford. For those of you who aren't, the project is a distributed-computing application dedicated to processing all the information found by the Human Genome Project. What this means is that you go to the Genome@home web site (genomeathome.stanford.edu) and download a small program called a client. This client downloads a piece of data from the Stanford servers and, while your computer is idle, processes it. It then sends the processed info back to Stanford, and downloads a new bit. All in all, with the thousands of computers on the net, and all the time each of them spends idle, an incredible amount of processing power is available.

Another thing about this project is that it's team-based. When you sign up, you give them a team id, and any processing you do adds a certain amount of points to that team's total. Well, I took the liberty of starting TeamCellar (id 1177597296), in hopes of getting a few of you who aren't involved in the project yet involved. Not to mention that I jsut think it'd be damn cool for us to pull together and get something done, even if pulling together means just sitting idle. Hell, we may find the Parkinson's gene or soemthing similar. Again, the site is genomeathome.stanford.edu, the team is TeamCellar, the team id # is 1177597296. Get to processing, and maybe some day the Cellar will be up in lights.

Steve
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 09:16 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's so awesome!

And they have a Linux version, which means that in about 15 minutes there'll be 3-4 boxes dedicated to just this work. Excellent!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

oops

I downloaded the software but missed the place to hook up with TeamCellar. Anyway to do it after the fact?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Thumbs up duh

turns out its obvious, the first time you run it... great idea steve
Old 07-07-2001, 10:56 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If you see "anton" listed in the team stats, that would be me. And we made the teams list overnight. In fact we jumped into 655th place out of 724.

I have two WinME boxes and three Linux boxes running it.
Old 07-07-2001, 11:52 AM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
If you see "anton" listed in the team stats, that would be me. And we made the teams list overnight. In fact we jumped into 655th place out of 724.

I have two WinME boxes and three Linux boxes running it.
I'm still not found on the user list...probably b/c I've "created" so little so far. Considering I'm running this show on Win95 and a 56K.

Tony, maybe you can help me with this. When I tried to shut it down last night (b/c I'm running a modem), it didn't want to "quit." It won't let you put a "quit" command in, so I shut it down via CTRL-ALT-Delete. But when I tried to shut my computer down, the computer froze. Any insight? (It did this twice last night.)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 01:45 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It looks like you have to complete a gene or a work cycle to get your bit entered as a "work unit". Or maybe your system has to report it what it's done so far, I dunno.

As far as making it stop, I don't know! I do know they have an "offline" processing state...
Old 07-07-2001, 02:39 PM   #8
elSicomoro

Well, it DID resume where it left off last night. At this rate, it will take me forever to complete one unit. But at least I'm doing my part. :-)

*sitting at 2 of 30 right now*
Old 07-08-2001, 01:05 PM   #9
elSicomoro

Tony, I assume you're able to run this program constantly, right?

If you are, we'll fly up in no time...we're already up to #536.
Old 07-08-2001, 03:25 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yeah, it runs here non-stop! If the client is secure and stable I might bring it up on a sixth machine, but I'll have to get clearance from the customer first. They're a non-profit and have a pretty idle machine, so there shouldn't be any trouble.
Old 07-08-2001, 06:19 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

We're still climbing 524 and counting! I get the idea Tony is running a little bit more horse power than the rest of us hangers on. My last one hasn't been listed yet but my lap top was crunching all last night and until suppertime tonight. It slows things down a bit but what the hay, its way too cool. GO TEAMCELLAR!
Old 07-08-2001, 06:23 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

logo

Hey! We need a logo... did anyone see the dutch power cows'... clever.
Old 07-08-2001, 06:52 PM   #13
elSicomoro

Whoa!

I didn't know that this thing ran w/o my modem on! Outstanding! I can leave it on almost all the time now...

Yeah, that's the only minor complaint I have about it...it's bogging my system a bit. (Of course, it doesn't help that I'm updating my website and uploading pics and what not.) It's worth it though...
Old 07-08-2001, 07:20 PM   #14
jaguar
whig

Well my athlon 1.2 is hard at work on it, and will be 24/7.
I'm grounded so i'm going to play around with a few logos, ill attach them to a message later.

Pretty arkane program compared to seti@home ain't it..

Last edited by jaguar; 07-08-2001 at 07:33 PM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 03:38 PM   #15
elSicomoro

Up to 470 now...

On my start menu under gah, it gives an option of "Run off network." Any idea what that might be?