The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
The question now is who takes the credit for their last minute reprieve, the Christians or the Voodoo priestesses?
It was the Vodou. They had a chat with Katrina.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:19 AM   #32
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Well, it looks like a near hit on New Orleans from a category 3 instead of direct hit by a category 5. The question now is who takes the credit for their last minute reprieve, the Christians or the Voodoo priestesses?

I think that by the end of this week we'll find that the difference between Katrina being a catagory three and a catagory five is more going to matter to the people who had to deal with it inland.

For New Orleans, I suspect, it didn't matter much. The flooding they're seeing this morning is horrific.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:48 AM   #33
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I've never been through anything like this, before. I've never lost everything I had, never had to deal with an insurance company in the face of disaster. I know a couple who were due to be married in December and live(d) on a first floor apartment in one of the historic areas of New Orleans. They managed to evacuate, but I've not heard from them since and I'm sure they don't know what has happened to their apartment, yet, anyways.

Outside of offering a place to stay until they are able to get back on their feet, again, is there anything that anyone can think of that would be a good thing to do for them? If you were displaced and didn't know when you'd be home, what would make your time away easier?

...and in the unfortunate event that everything is lost (which seems highly likely at this point), what could I do to help them out? I know they had insurance and all, but I'm curious as to what they might expect and what I could do to assist them.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:40 AM   #34
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The hard part at this point is going to be finding them.

Hopefully they did have insurance, especially insurance that covers major acts of God, like a hurricane. Some standard policies in hurricane areas do not, but I'm assuming you know that already.

Despite being an expert in Disaster Mental Health (which involves being there, listening, and handing out water and socks at times), I don't actually know the answer to your question.

Send them a small teddy bear (or something that would be in character for you, perhaps a fox), and a "What can I do to help?" note. And maybe a case of MREs and bottled water ... that's likely what they need right now.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #35
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

When a coworker's apartment building burned down and he lost absolutely everything, the things he appreciated most in the following days were basic necessities--clothes, pillows, and toiletries, stuff like that. You can eat out for awhile until you get new pots and pans, but if you don't have a shower curtain things are really going to suck.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #36
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
It was the Vodou. They had a chat with Katrina.
No, God.

/less filling!
//tastes great!
///reading too much fark
Old 08-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #37
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

When shit like this befalls us, it doesn't matter what name we tack onto it...we're all talkin' to the same thing.

Kit, if you can contact them, just tell them to ask for whatever they need, and if you can get it/do it, you will.

Let us know if they need some sponsorship. I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks to some personal assistance effort.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #38
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune
The flooding they're seeing this morning is horrific.
This picture just hints at the flooding going on. These are houses.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #39
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

They said yesterday evening that the worst case scenario did not occur. I have since heard that opinion recanted. This may not be the *absolute* worst case, but it is very, very close.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 PM   #40
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I'm currently at my parents house in Southwest Indiana, Evansville to be precise, and we had Katrina effects today - lots of wind and rain. Lots of flooding around here, but it's really nothing compared to what happened down south.

I hope that all is well with Cellarites down in those areas affected... please check in soon.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:40 AM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
No, God.
The vodoun believe in God also.

He just gets different kinds of helpers.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:48 AM   #42
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I spent some of the early part of tonight looking through some news sites checking out pictures and videos.

Some of the most incredible were of houses, businesses, and the yacht club on fire. Fire apparatus can't get to any of these places with the flooding, so they are just left to burn.

I can't find the picture anymore, because I guess the TV station redid their slide shows, but I saw one that was particularly interesting ... a pawn shop that was apparently on high ground that missed getting flooded was on fire. I found myself wondering if the owner had been counting on the floods to take care of some of his financial problems and when he remained dry, arranged for a little accident.

Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 AM   #43
Griff
still says videotape

Anybody hear from Buster B yet?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:37 AM   #44
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Gulf Coasters aren't the only ones getting beaten up. <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/08/31/taiwan.typhoon.reut/index.html">Taipei is getting their third typhoon this year</a>, also a strong catagory four.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 AM   #45
glatt

One quote from a Taiwainese fisherman is a little amusing.

Quote:
"We need to secure all the boats or our boss will get mad."
This guy doesn't seem to get the big picture.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote