The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

wiki your town

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elverson

that blue car is my demo from this summer!
that's our weeping cherry tree thar!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

There are also rumors that Johnny Depp has a house in Evergreen.

And look - there's my house: actually the Evergreen Lakehouse

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Nuthouse

Town

I do not live in the Town. It's as close as I'll admit to, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

My current home of Helena, MT:
The town was established on October 30, 1864, following the discovery of gold along Last Chance Creek by the "Four Georgians". Helena's main street is named Last Chance Gulch and follows the winding path of the original creek through the historic downtown district.

By 1888, about 50 millionaires lived in Helena, more millionaires per capita than any city in the world. About $3.6 billion (in today's dollars) of gold was taken from Last Chance Gulch over a 20-year period.

In 1889, railroad magnate Charles Arthur Broadwater opened his fabled Hotel Broadwater and Natatorium west of Helena. The Natatorium was home to the world's first indoor swimming pool.

Notable folks:
  • Stephen Ambrose, historian, author of Band of Brothers and Undaunted Courage
  • Dirk Benedict, actor (A-Team)
  • Gary Cooper, actor
  • L. Ron Hubbard, author and founder of the Church of Scientology
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Current: Hudson, OH

Where I lived half of last year: Sheridan, WY and Big Horn, WY

Where I plan on moving to ~December of this year: Seal Beach, CA
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Politics, Criminals and Terrorists

• Aylesbury is the county town of Buckinghamshire in south east England. In the 2001 census the Aylesbury Urban Area had a population of 69,021.
  • The town name is of Old English origin.
  • Excavations in the town centre in 1985 found an Iron Age hillfort dating from around 650BC.
  • The town is sited on an outcrop of Portlandian limestone which accounts for its prominent position in the surrounding landscape, which is largely clay.
  • Aylesbury was a major market town in Anglo-Saxon times, famous in addition as the burial place of Saint Osyth, whose shrine attracted pilgrims.
  • The Early English parish church of St. Mary (with many later additions) may be built over the remains of a Saxon crypt.
  • At the Conquest, the king took the manor of Aylesbury for himself, and it is listed as a royal manor in the Domesday Book, 1086.
  • In 1450 a religious institution called the Guild of St Mary was founded in Aylesbury by John Kemp, Archbishop of York. Known popularly as the Guild of Our Lady it became a meeting place for local dignitaries and a hotbed of political intrigue. The Guild was influential in the final outcome of the Wars of the Roses. Its premises at the Chantry in Church Street, Aylesbury, are still there, though today the site is occupied mainly by almshouses.
  • Aylesbury was declared the county town of Buckinghamshire in 1529 by King Henry VIII: Aylesbury Manor was among the many properties belonging to Thomas Boleyn the father of Anne Boleyn and it is rumoured that the change was made by the king in order to curry favour with the holders of the manor.
  • The town played a large part in the English Civil War when it became a stronghold for the Parliamentarian forces, like many market towns a nursing-ground of Puritan sentiment. Its proximity to Great Hampden, home of John Hampden has made of Hampden a local hero: his silhouette is on the emblem used by Aylesbury Vale District Council and his statue stands prominently in the town centre.
  • The Jacobean mansion of Hartwell nearby was the residence of Louis XVIII during his exile (1810 – 1814). Bourbon Street in Aylesbury is named after the King. Louis's wife, Marie Josephine of Savoy died at Hartwell in 1810 and is buried in the churchyard there. She is the only French Queen to be buried on English soil.
  • The town's heraldic crest is the Aylesbury duck, which has been bred here since the birth of the Industrial Revolution.
  • The town also received international publicity in the 1960s when the culprits responsible for the Great Train Robbery were tried at Aylesbury Crown Court. The robbery took place at Bridego Bridge, a railway bridge at Ledburn, about six miles (10 km) from the town.
  • The 7 July 2005 Piccadilly Line bomber Germaine Lindsay's home was in Aylesbury at the time of the bombings, though he was originally from Jamaica.
  • Notable buildings include the King's Head Inn, which with the Fleece Inn at Bretforton is one of the few public houses in the country owned by the National Trust still run as a public house.
  • Chequers, the country residence of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom since 1921, is just south-east of Aylesbury.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Somewhere in this general vicinity.

Quote:
At one point, Piqua was known as the Underwear Capital of the World, with 16 factories producing underwear. It also has an Great Outdoor Underwear Day. This tradition is still going strong today, with events that include the Undy 500 and Drop Seat Trot, celebrating what really holds us together.
lol...fail! They haven't had that festival in years.

Quote:
Piqua was home to the first municipally-owned nuclear power plant, in operation from 1962 to 1966 earning its short lived nickname "The Atomic City." During this period a name brand automotive battery, the "Piqua Atomic Power Plant" was manufactured and marketed locally.
I can walk to the old nuclear dome from my place. City maintenance uses it for something now. It explains the 3 legged fish I've seen in the river.

Quote:
Piqua is believed to be a reference to the Shawnee Indian phrase: "Othath-He-Waugh-Pe-Qua" translated as "He has risen from the ashes!" The phrase is mentioned in a painting of a Native American rising up above the flames before a tribe of onlookers in a state of amazement. The painting is on public display inside the main office of Unity National Bank, the former Third Savings and Loan Association in downtown Piqua.
So there you go.

Thanks for the idea, jim...that was fun.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Where I grew up - Blairsville

Nascar driver Bill Elliott was from near there.

Quote:
In the 1990 race at Atlanta, Elliott's rear tire changer Mike Rich was killed when Ricky Rudd lost control of his car, spun, and slammed the crew member between his car and Elliott's
Mike and I were sweethearts when I was in high school.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Where I grew up.

Quote:
Although one of Washington's first tracts developed with the automobile in mind, the approximately 2700 homes are closely spaced, feature porches or stoops, and often lack driveways, which boosters say contributes to community spirit.
Where I live now.

Quote:
McLean Gardens is a 43-acre (170,000 m2) housing development — on the former estate of newspaper publisher John R. McLean — built in 1942 as temporary housing for wartime defense workers. In 1980, after a long battle by the tenants, who were able to secure the largest buy-out in DC history by a residents' association, the original 31 red brick apartment buildings converted to condominiums; nine original dormitory buildings had been destroyed in 1974-75.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oaks

It's only remarkable for one thing: the inventor of LOLcats, Harry Whittier Frees, did his work here. This image is considered by some to be the first LOLcat, in 1905:

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
glatt

I grew up in the same town as Patrick Dempsey. That's probably its biggest claim to fame today. Muhammad Ali once had a heavyweight championship fight there, and some people still remember it for that. Because it was a small venue in the middle of nowhere, that fight set a record for lowest attendance for a heavyweight championship fight. Only 2,434 people attended it.

I currently live in a town perhaps best known for its cemetery. But which ranked 1st in 2005 for being the most walkable city in the US, and ranked 1st in 2006 for being the most educated city in the US. Hopefully, most importantly, it ranked 1st in the US for being the safest city in which to weather a recession.

It contains the world's largest office building.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Hickory, NC

Quote:
Hickory is also home to one of the oldest furniture manufacturers in the United States that is still located and operated on the original site. Hickory White, formerly known as Hickory Manufacturing Company, was built in 1902 and has been in continuous operation ever since. During World War II, the factory made ammo boxes for the U.S. Military instead of furniture.

Hickory was known in the years after World War II for the "Miracle of Hickory." In 1944 the area around Hickory (the Catawba Valley) became the center of one of the worst outbreaks of polio ever recorded. Residents who were then children recall summers of not being allowed to play outside or visit friends for fear of contracting the disease. Since local facilities were inadequate to treat the victims, the citizens of Hickory and the March of Dimes decided to build a hospital to care for the children of the region. From the time the decision was made until equipment, doctors, and patients were in a new facility, took less than 54 hours. Several more buildings were quickly added. A Red Cross official on the scene praised the project "as the most outstanding example of cooperative effort he has ever seen." (Hickory Daily Record, June 30, 1944)

. . . . .

The Hickory area is home to many leading manufacturers of furniture and fiber optic cable. It is estimated that 60% of the nation's furniture is produced within a 200-mile (320 km) radius of Hickory. Forty percent of the world's fiber optic cable is made in the Hickory area.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
busterb
NSABFD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Springs,_MS Nuff said!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
lookout123
changed his status to single

Colona, IL When I was growing up the town was known as Green Rock but they merged with Colona in the '90's as the area died out.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #15
Pie
Gone and done

I gots me Columbia, MD, Lawrenceville, NJ and Princeton, NJ.

Columbia is a planned city of ~90k, Larvl is a small town of ~4k, and Princeton has about 30k, between the township and the borough.

My high school:
Attached Images

Tags
wikipedia