The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #7201
dmg1969
I got nothing

the fact that I spent all day yesterday without internet. I call CenturyLink who says they are not having a problem...it must be my wiring or modem. So, they are supposed to come out today.

I get up this morning and the internet is working. I checked my modem and all the lights are on. So, I call them to update the trouble ticket. I tell them that it is now working, but I want someone to come out because the modem must be having trouble intermittently.

The wife calls me to tell me that they guy was out and it was a problem on THEIR end! You couldn't call to tell us that? And why did you not know when I called yesterday...or when you called back later that evening to see if my internet was still down?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #7202
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I lost a friend of mine from HS on Friday...apparently, he committed suicide. I believe this is the first friend/relative I've lost to suicide. It's horribly sad...he was always one of the most laid-back and funniest people I knew.

You just never know what lurks beneath the surface.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #7203
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

The professor who taught my major 'special interest' module in my final year of undergrad and supervised my dissertation, was also going to be my supervisor for my Masters, but had to go on an extended leave due to throat cancer. Earlier in the year she appeared to be doing better, but had announced that she was going to retire. There was supposed to be a little party at the faculty a couple of weeks ago for her retirement. Got an email the week before to say Katrina wouldn't be able to come after all as her health had deteriorated significantly.

I just checked my emails and there's one from the head of school to say that she has now moved to a hospice, and that her partner, children and siblings are with her. She is too weak for visitors.

I'm really struggling not to cry. It's so fucking unfair. This woman is so fiercely intelligent, warm, caring, lovely and brilliant. I'm feeling a little guilty that I didn't maintain contact with her after she went on leave. I was just so wrapped up in my work, and (minor) health problems of my own, y'know how these things go. That and the context of our contact had gone largely.

It's not a major feeling of guilt. Just a niggle. Mostly I'm just really saddened.

Fuck cancer.

@ Syc: that's terribly sad. It's such a shock when someone who seems so together commits suicide.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-18-2011 at 05:10 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #7204
Griff
still says videotape

Sorry guys, those are both difficult things to sort out.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 AM   #7205
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

wow. Suicide and throat cancer.

Tough to imagine either one.

I think throat cancer would be the very worst - I'm so sorry Dana and Sycamore, for your friends suffering. Ugh. Life is a weird and awful bitch sometimes.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #7206
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I lost a friend of mine from HS on Friday...apparently, he committed suicide. I believe this is the first friend/relative I've lost to suicide. It's horribly sad...he was always one of the most laid-back and funniest people I knew.

You just never know what lurks beneath the surface.
It seems the "most laid-back and funny" people are the ones who are most sensitive and prone to the vagaries of life.

Drowning not waving, as the poem goes.

I'm so sorry for this, Syc. It's so hard for the survivors.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #7207
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

wss ^

Warm thoughts to those suffering.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #7208
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sorry to hear that Syc. I saw your link on FB. He seemed to be such a great guy.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #7209
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

@Syc - Sorry, man. Prayers for his family and friends.

@Dana - Fuck Cancer. Prayers for her family and friends as well.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #7210
DanaC

Thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #7211
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sorry to hear that Dana. Didn't you mention something about this before ... or was that a political friend?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #7212
DanaC

I think I mentioned something about it. There've been a few such stories lately unfortunately. Our Stell, Romy - a family friend/non-blood relative of my ex - and Katrina, my former professor.

I think I posted abot Katrina when she first had to go on extended sick leave. It was a little after the start of my MA. She was down as my co-supervisor along with my current supervisor. That was late 2009/early 2010 (can't recall exactly, my timings all off :p).
Old 10-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #7213
DanaC

I think one of the things that's getting to me about Katrina, is that alongside the loss to her family and friends, the world is losing a fabulous mind and a brilliant historian. Someone who was doing genuinely important (in my opinion) work.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #7214
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Wrapped up an aggravated domestic violence case on a man who beat his pregnant girlfriend and then threatened her with a pistol for trying to call for help. Hipaa prohibits me from stating the status of the fetus, but the suspect has a $2 million bond. Can you read between the lines??

I'm so disgusted!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #7215
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Thank you for dealing with that shit, Sarge. Very seriously, thank you.

Tags
swiss