Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #91
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
I also agree that I want someone running the country who is better than ME! I also believe that the leader of the free world should be a good speaker, and that good speaking is a good barometer (but not always) of intelligence.

McCain is not horrible in those aspects, that's for sure. I just don't see him speaking for "me" whereas Obama is more along the line of my sensibilities.

I'll say it loud and clear in front of the Cellar and FSM and everyone: I WANTED HILLARY!

Let the flames begin.

I doubt anyone will flame you for wanting Hillary. I'm sure you, and all of the real Hillary supporters (not republicans pretending to be angry Hillary supporters) will now back Barack Obama as Hillary and Bill Clinton are doing.

It's this simple....

If you like the job Bush has done wrecking our economy, attacking our civil rights, launching an unwarranted, unprovoked, and unconstitutional war of aggression against a nation that posed no threat to ours, if you like American kids dying without cause while not even defending America, and you want a lot more of the same....vote for McCain.

If you'd prefer a man of honor, integrity, honesty, character, moral fiber, eloquence, and class who will lead America into the right direction for a change and a man who looks at military force as a last resort rather than a first resort, and you are tired of having Washington insiders who make backroom deals running the country....vote for Obama.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #92
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Lincoln was a republican mass murderer....just like George W. Bush and his clone John McCain.
Now Radar, none of this antebellum, 'ain't nothing wrong with slavery' nonsense. If I were in the south in 1864, I'll join the Union and try to kill every slave owner myself.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #93
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

The civil war wasn't about slavery.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #94
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."
-Abraham Lincoln

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #95
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
Her daughter gave birth to a son with down syndrome. She pretended she was pregnant to hide the fact that such a holy roller actually had a pregnant teenage daughter.
Surely, surely you have some sort of cite to offer for this assertion.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #96
Ibby
erika

Palin is no 'maverick' or 'change' candidate. She's a right-wing, theofascist nutjob. And don't forget the troopergate scandal, in which Palin allegedly misused her power as governor by bringing inappropriate pressure for two employees to be fired. And how, as recently as last spring, she was 'out to lunch' on Iraq. Oh, and her praise of Obama's energy plan over McCain's, which was later scrubbed from the site.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #97
Ibby
erika

from Newsweek:
Quote:
"What is it exactly that the vice president does all day?" Palin offhandedly asked CNBC anchor Larry Kudlow in July. Kudlow explained that the job has become more important in recent years. Palin knows the energy crisis well, even if her claim on "Charlie Rose" that Alaska's untapped resources can significantly ease it is unsupported by the facts. But what does she know about Iranian nukes, health care or the future of entitlement programs? And that's just a few of the 20 or so national issues on which she will be expected to show basic competence. The McCain camp will have to either let her wing it based on a few briefing memos (highly risky) or prevent her from taking questions from reporters (a confession that she's unprepared). Either way, she's going to belly-flop at a time when McCain can least afford it.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #98
freshnesschronic
Professor

First off, I'm sorry I did not read any postings prior to this, just wanted to put in my two cents.

I, being the politically uneducated college student I am, think it's McCain's move to get Hillary voters and make the statement "I can be diverse too!" But if McCain wins, I don't think she'll do shit. Absolutely fucking nothing. Unless he dies, which I think will most likely happen. Then she'll take over. But the thing is....she's a fucking governor. Of fucking Alaska. Governor ain't no congressman or woman. It's a governor. I'd be scared of that shit, forreal.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #99
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Governors are better suited to deal with the tasks required of the office of President than senators are. It is akin to executive experience.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #100
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
from Newsweek:
Newsweek is trying to find a negative where there is none. McCain hit a homer, and the lefties are digging for dirt.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #101
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudcon View Post
Newsweek is trying to find a negative where there is none. McCain hit a homer, and the lefties are digging for dirt.
I really think they are in a bit of a panic mode.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #102
Ibby
erika

I know i'm a fine one to talk about partisanism, but come on... any legitimate concerns about her are just democrats digging for dirt?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #103
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I really think they are in a bit of a panic mode.
If you saw the body language during Palin's acceptance speech between her and McCain it looked to me like they were in panic mode. I think they had to get someone to hold up applause signs off camera because the crowd seemed a bit shocked into silence. His speech beforehand was littered with talking to the podium, then awkward looking up and insincere staring at the crowd smiles. Everyone seemed a bit uncomfortable. It was like they were the skunks at a picnic and neither wanted to smell the other.
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #104
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I think it's hilarious. I mean the guy is 72 so why not go out with style. He dosn't have much to lose.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #105
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Ahhh, there's the rub. I'm looking at anything involving McCain, from himself to the people he surrounds himself with, as being exactly like the last 8 years.
For people like me, who dislike tyrants much more than they'd ever dislike Republicans, that is a selling point.

Not too many objections from this quarter.