The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #211
NoBoxes

Even though John McCain said that Sarah Palin was fully vetted, I can't help but wonder if there is something in her family background, yet to be revealed, that we will have to deal with ...

Name:  Its.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  19.3 KB
Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #212
Griff
still says videotape

I recently got this in an email labeled "Scarey!" from one of my Democrat connections. It reminds me of why the Dems shouldn't be in power either. Barr for all his horrible votes over the years is at least apologetic. Will we get new politics from the Dems this time or if we get a Dem sweep, is it right back to banning bbguns?
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #213
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

She's used a different factor suncream on her face than her body
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #214
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

PS'd
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #215
Griff
still says videotape

She's got nicer legs.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #216
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #217
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers View Post
FYI

Wasilla is *not* the second largest city in Alaska....

we were cracking up last night when we saw that on Stewart.
Wow, long time no see seakdivers. Welcome back.

I'd really like to hear a local's perspective on the republican VP pick. Care to weigh in?

(ps, without looking it up, I'd say Fairbanks is the second largest city in Alaska)
Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #218
Griff
still says videotape

Fake pic.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #219
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Michael Palin's beard is fake as well, but you'll have to find your own link...
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #220
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Michael Palin's beard is fake as well, but you'll have to find your own link...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #221
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Didja hear that the "pit bull with lipstick" used to be a "barracuda" as a point guard in high school?

I heard the RNC played Heart's Barracuda in her honor.

Ooops.

Quote:
Republicans Take Heart; Heart Takes It Back

Today 7:47 AM PDT by Gina Serpe

Ann and Nancy Wilson are hoping the Republicans change their tune—and aren't planning on waiting until November to find out.

The sisterly duo known as Heart sent a cease-and-desist notice to the McCain-Palin campaign Thursday afternoon after their hit "Barracuda" was used—twice—without permission as the official rallying cry for the vice presidential candidate after her nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #222
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
For people like me, who dislike tyrants much more than they'd ever dislike Republicans, that is a selling point.

Not too many objections from this quarter.
But there are many who think tyrants and Republicans are one and the same.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #223
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Silly Wilsons - one you've released a commercial recording and your publisher has signed licensing agreements with ASCAP or BMI, nobody needs your permission to do a damn thing with your song in a public venue. You got paid your 30 pieces, so sit your asses down.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #224
glatt

Turns out she didn't sell that governor's jet on E-bay as everyone is claiming. That's a bit of an embellishment. She tried and failed to sell it on E-bay, so she sold it to a campaign contributor instead. And she didn't sell it for a profit as some have stated, it was for a typical used vehicle discount.

The E-bay thing makes a good story, but it simply isn't true. Why lie about it? The actual truth makes a good enough story. They should have gone with it in the first place.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:30 PM   #225
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

With so little actual info on Palin and only two months to figure her out, there is a lot of room for people to project their expectations onto her. And before anyone says anything, Obama has a voting record and over a year of campaigning behind him. The plan for Palin is to hide her as much as possible from anyone who will ask any difficult questions.

For example, it's great that she is a role model to parents with disabled children since she has been caring for her child with Downs Syndrome for the past few months. As a parent of a disabled child, I applaud this. What people don't realize is that personal experience does not translate into policy.

Bush's "compassionate conservatism" has been a disaster. While most people see this as an indictment of Bush, a lot of the GOP sees it as an indictment of compassion. McCain is promising old style conservatism. He is also promising to continue tax cuts. He is also promising to balance the budget and reduce the debt without raising taxes. There is no way to do this without major cuts in goverment spending. Right now social programs are the number one expenditure for government with military spending (defense and "War on Terror") at a higher percentage of GDP than any other major nation.

If McCain wants to make major cuts, Palin will be his hatchet woman. Noone doubts the woman is tough and self sufficient. What would be terrible is if she were used to make the case that any woman could be just like her if the government would just stop helping.

Maybe the future holds something like this:

"When my children went hungry I just went out the back door and shot a moose. I really don't see the need for food stamps." Note: This is a parody. There is no indication that Mrs. Palin said this or anything like it. I am simply making the point that 'being one of us' does not automatically mean 'being with us'. Ask the NAACP how happy they are with Clarence Thomas.

Factiod: Marie Antionette did not actually say 'Let them eat cake'.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote