The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-05-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Favorite Infomercial or As Seen on TV Product Commerical?

I love infomercials... they suck me in everytime. As seen on TV product commericals - always make me laugh? Do you have a favorite? I am a fan of:

Ronco Rotisserie - You just set it and forget it! (I actually bought one off TV).

Great American Chocolate Factory - People snoring at the "boring" dessert at the beginning is classic.

Flobee - it sucks and cuts...
Old 01-05-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

You're kidding, right? You enjoy the fake paid-off audience? You love the repeated audio concerning how many payments you have to make? You're interested in kitchen and home devices that perform isolated, specific functions that are already done just as well by items your probably already own?

I think we're going to have to burn you at the stake.

We already had a conversation with God about this, anyways and he agrees: "I fucked up with Ronco. I'm embarassed about it but the genie is out of the bottle."
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

The fake theatrics are what I find amusing... would anyone really get that excited about Chef Tony and his amazing knife that cuts through a pipe - PROBABLY NOT.

I don't need a special spatula that grips as I flip - I have no problem using the ones that I have now.

Does anyone need this junk? Probably not.

I do use my Ronco. Made the best thanksgiving turkey EVER!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

One word: cha-cha-cha-Chia!

I sometimes call my four-year old daughter so-so-so-Sophia!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I love it when they show the frustrated people at the beginning of those commercials exaggerating the difficulty of flipping an egg or something.

Seriously though, I love all of the kitchen stuff like the Rotisserie cooker, the pressure cooker pan that lets you build up the pressure, turn off the heat, and it keeps cooking all day. The super knives, the convection cookers, food dehydrators, etc...
Old 01-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I don't need a special spatula that grips as I flip - I have no problem using the ones that I have now.
Damn, that's the first thing I've seen in years (since Mr Microphone) that I'd consider.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The guitar guy who dresses like Zorro...Esteban. He peddles cheap ass guitars and some accessories, and touts his playing skills at the same time. He has CDs. I never heard of him before seeing one of his TV sales gigs.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That Grip-n-Flip. They now throw in the "6-in-one Chef Wizard" that they used to sell two years ago. I was given one of those as a gift. I cannot tell you what a terrible piece of crap it is.

All that stuff is built to look kinda ok on a TV screen, but when you actually get it you find that it's cheap crap you'll never ever use in a million years. This Grip-n-Flip item is just a dumb nylon spatula. What facinates me is the casting. That woman is a gem for such ads. She is built to be believed and she delivers her lines perfectly. You can't look at her and decide that everything she's telling you is full of crap. But it is.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm a big fan of the legendary Ronco Products ... The Pocket Fisherman, The Record Vacuum, the Bottle Cutter to make your own glassware with, The Amazing Egg Scrambler ... classics all. And the tinny Christmas jingle that introduced them still brings back memories.

Ginsu Knives ... always wanted them, never got them. So many of these product advertisements were big before I was old enough to have a credit card to CALL NOW!

The Eggwave didn't work for shit. Even if you liberally buttered the inside of the thing, the eggs stuck.

The Miracle Micropore Glass Cleaner is not miraculous.

Snap Hooks fall off of whatever surface you Snap them too. Even shiny glass ones where you wet the suction cup first.

The Miracle Slicer is also not miraculous. Potatoes must be of a precise consistency to work. The depth of slice for carrots is either too much or too little.

The Amazing Vegetable Chopper requires a great deal of strength to operate. When you use it you end up with a mushy collection of dented vegetables.

The Chia Herb Garden was too labor intensive.

I have learned to wait until these amazing products become available at The Dollar Store. They are worth at least a dollar for the amusment they generate, but not much more.

I do have a George Foreman Grill, and use it frequently. The Big one. With the bun warmer.

One of my coworkers was working a midnight shift and was hungry. The ambulance crew was out. He couldn't get any food anywhere. He turned on the TV to take his mind off being hungry. The only thing on was the informercial for the Ronco Showtime Rottisserie. He ordered it, even though he knew it wouldn't do anything about his being hungry. He loves it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 01-06-2005 at 12:13 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:44 AM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Ginsu Knives ... always wanted them, never got them.
I have some--a Christmas gift from my brother aboout 10 years ago. (To quote one of my buddies from college, "This was a gag gift, right? Right???") Nobody will mistake these for fine cutlery, but they've been surprisingly durable (I say surprisingly because the handle-to-blade construction feels kind of flimsy) and make fine everyday cheap silverware. (It should be noted, that with the exception of a nice German set of 3 cooking knives that we recieved as a wedding present, we don't actually have any non-everyday, non-cheap silverware.)

I have to admit I have never used one to slice open an aluminum can, but I have used them many times on those damned plastic packages that can't be opened any other way besides cutting them apart, and they go through them like butter.
Quote:
So many of these product advertisements were big before I was old enough to have a credit card to CALL NOW!
On the balance, this is probably a Good Thing.
Quote:
I do have a George Foreman Grill, and use it frequently. The Big one. With the bun warmer.
I have wondered if these are any good.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The thing I hate about George Foreman grills is they're a pain in the ass to clean. Can't submerge in water and all that.

But a local radio station was just doing an interview with him the other day and he said his new-and-improved just-released George Foreman grill can go in the dishwasher! We may have to get one of those.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

It just doesn't get any better than this:

Attached Images

Old 01-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #13
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My favorite As Seen On TV product that Really Works: Rain-X. Both kinds.

Apply once a month in decent weather and the rain really does roll right off. I never use wipers unless it's POURING or the police make me.

I am talking to Ronco right now to produce my DVD rewinder and wiper. When I'm rich, I won't forget y'all.

Brian
Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #14
glatt

I bought the Super Slicer from TV. It's the only thing I ever bought that way. It seemed so great on tv. When I opened it, I took it into the kitchen and tried it out. It takes all your strength to use, I was trying to slice things and have them drop into a bowl. The bowl was skittering all over the counter, because I had to use so much strength to get the thing to work, and I was having stouble controlling that application of brute force.

After five minutes of trying it out, I reallized what a complete peice of crap it was.

I paid close attention to the commercials after that. I saw how they used editing to edit out the problem that I was having, just before they would have shown up in the commercial.

It was a learning experience. At least it was only 29.95.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:11 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR
My favorite As Seen On TV product that Really Works: Rain-X. Both kinds.
I had RainX before it was seen on TV. You could only buy it a Brookstone. At the time it was really popular in the Pro-Rally crowd.

Which was cool because I loved seeing my stuff come up on the product-go-round.

RainX is one of the world's greatest inventions, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote