The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #61
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I like his beanie. Except it should have a propellor on it.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #62
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The (apparently vast number of) parents who took a payout instead of pressing charges ain't looking so hot, either.
Exactly true. Worse.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #63
squirell nutkin

There was a thing in the paper recently about a Hassidic Rabbi pulling similar stunts in Brooklyn. Congo pressured the kid and his rents to STFU. Not sure where it is. have to google.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #64
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Find the Pope in the Pizza.

Father Guido Sarducci
: Well, I think what I'm gonna do for the prize, whoever wins -- you know, finds the most Popes -- they'll get to have a button that I designed myself. I noticed on the tour, the best selling button was this. [holds up button] It says, "I Got a Peek at the Pope" ... And I designed a button that I think even more people can relate to. [holds up another button] It says, "I saw the Pope on TV" ... This is what you win. And now, I think, we're about ready. So while you're looking at the pizza for thirty seconds, I'm gonna play a cut from Pius XII's album. ... Here is Pius XII singing "On the Sunny Side of the Street" ... And now find the Pope in the pizza. Good luck to you. All two hundred and fifty-four.

[A jazz recording of the old pop song "On the Sunny Side of the Street" plays as we dissolve to close-up of the pizza: mostly a red mass of tomato sauce, but also cheese and one rather large image of a Pope sitting behind a desk in the lower right hand corner. The other Popes are invisible to the naked eye. A clock ticks off thirty seconds in the upper left hand corner as Father Sarducci's voice chimes in with occasional helpful hints.]

Some are easy to find, some are hard. ... Here's a little clue for you. Most of the Popes have red faces. ... Here's another clue. One of them is in the right side of the screen. ... Behind the desk.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #65
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
There was a thing in the paper recently about a Hassidic Rabbi pulling similar stunts in Brooklyn. Congo pressured the kid and his rents to STFU. Not sure where it is. have to google.
What's a Congo? An African country pressured them?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #66
squirell nutkin

like a convo=conversation

Congregation
Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #67
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Congo pressured the kid and his rents to STFU.
What the crap? Why????
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #68
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx
What the crap? Why????
Well, I can't really say for sure about the Jewish congregation, but for the Christians, it goes something like this: one of the very basic rules is that you must not do anything that would cause another to stumble (commit a sin) and/or weaken their faith in God, even if it's not a problem for you. Like, you don't drink in front of the alcoholic, even though you yourself are not an alcoholic. So if you're doing it right, the result is that people view themselves as role models and hold themselves to a higher standard.

If you're doing it wrong, then when a scandal arises, there is a desire among some to keep it hush-hush and within the congregation, because an outsider might take the scandal as evidence that this whole God business must be crap, because look at the terrible things his followers do--as, indeed, people tend to do. Of course scandals inevitably come out anyway, and now you've got the added tarnish of hypocrisy, when what they really should have done in the beginning is hold up the sinner as an example of a sinner, something the congregation, being Godly people, clearly won't tolerate.

Anyway, that's another reason the parents take the hush money, aside of course from the delicious money aspect of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #69
Spexxvet

Quote:
...an example of a sinner, something the congregation, being Godly people, clearly won't tolerate.
But Jesus welcomed sinners, and encouraged them to follow him.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #70
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Sinners were his target audience.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #71
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Only sinners who at some point decided they wanted to stop being sinners. Determined, unrepentant sinners were to be first privately rebuked and corrected, then publicly rebuked and corrected, then asked to leave the church body until they were able to be truly repentant as evidenced by their actions. So at most you get to diddle three kids before you are ejected from the entire church body, nevermind being allowed to keep leading it. And really, you shouldn't get more than one, because it is also a tenet of the faith that you must obey the secular law except where it directly conflicts with God's law, thus part of repentance would necessarily be accepting the legal consequences of your illegal actions.

Last edited by Clodfobble; 03-31-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #72
Spexxvet

Quote:
... So at most you get to diddle three kids before you are ejected from the entire church body, nevermind being allowed to keep leading it...
Haggis!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #73
squirell nutkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Exactly. Jesus welcomed sinners, not the congregation.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #74
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Only sinners who at some point decided they wanted to stop being sinners. Determined, unrepentant sinners were to be first privately rebuked and corrected, then publicly rebuked and corrected, then asked to leave the church body until they were able to be truly repentant as evidenced by their actions. So at most you get to diddle three kids before you are ejected from the entire church body, nevermind being allowed to keep leading it. And really, you shouldn't get more than one, because it is also a tenet of the faith that you must obey the secular law except where it directly conflicts with God's law, thus part of repentance would necessarily be accepting the legal consequences of your illegal actions.
And then they became suicide bombers.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #75
squirell nutkin

Seems the Catholics have hardly cornered the market:

http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/fai...d_pedophi.html

http://web.archive.org/web/19960101-...rg/clergyabuse