The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

It drives me up the wall. I hate it.

But I also feel that there are very few things ruder than calling attention to another person's rudeness. And so with grammar--I'd certainly never go around correcting shop signs or something. I just let it go, as much as it grates sometimes.

Now, I can hear certain of you accusing me of being a "Grammar Nazi." here. I admit, I can't resist if it results in a pun or double entendres.

I could write more on this, but I'm tired. I have another screed coming on that I think may relate this subject to certain TV trends. I'll just finish by saying: the idea that any alleged increase in aggressive pedantry is somehow related to the economy or any other crap that's going on is just silly.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
It is concerning how little most of us care about our written word, but that should be hardly surprising when we consider how some of us articulate ourselves.
Wot Ali sed. It is concerning. I am not down with those who can't see the importance of good writing.

Commas are among the fuzziest of punctuation to use well. Too many think they're in there to breathe on and that's it.

..."GREENGROCERS' APOSTROPHES -- ASSORTED COLOURS"
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #18
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Eh. I never thought, nor do I now think, that posting on a website or forum equates with the quality expected and required of an official bit of written work.
I more or less treat it as if it were. It's out of respect for skill with the mother tongue.

Really, if you write the English of an educated man, where's the downside for anyone reading it?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
meph
Aggregate Aggravator

Having worked with people for whom English is a second language, I'd just like to point out that I'm grateful when I can get the gist of what they're saying. That said, I've had to strive to ensure that most formal communications I get are vetted thoroughly to ensure that they really mean what they say if the subject is complicated beyond a brief thought.

Here's one from a former Director I reported to:

"Should be do imp PRD?"

That'was typical.

I find I really don't care about the grammar or spelling as long as the purpose is clear. One of the problems with email is that folks limit their attention to what is written last. It's rare in the corporate world that people quote in the context of the message sent.

One of my pet peeves is typing up a detailed reply *without top posting* and have someone dash off a one sentence reply that indicates they haven't read it.

While we're on the subject, the spelling and grammar checkers are another problem in that people tend to make the assumption that it's gotta be correct if it passed.

I'm off my soapbox, dammit.
meph is offline   Reply With Quote