The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Ticketmaster SUCKS

Yes, this is just how I feel about them. A friend of mine and I want to go to see Bruce Springsteen when he comes to Atlanta so at the appointed time when tickets would go on sale at Ticketmaster we both try to score some good seats.

Funny thing though, from the very start the only seats that are available are the nosebleed section and the ones with some kind of obstruction blocking your view. As the day goes by we keep checking and it's pretty much the same. And they don't give you any choices you just buy them or move on.

Is there some kind of trick to this?
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Try other ticket vendors. Different vendors are given specific seats to sell, and Ticketmaster probably lost the bid on the good seats.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Did you try contacting the venue directly?

BTW - I hate ticketmaster too.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

A cow orker got tickets for the Springsteen Albany show. He got "best available" which turned out to be high and BEHIND the stage. I'm not sure if he used Ticketmaster or some other service.

He has, however, learned that tickets far worse than his are going for 4X face value on ebay.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
glatt

Based on his superbowl performance, I wouldn't be throwing down much money at all to see him. He couldn't get any more than three words out at a time. He needs to either stop the dancing so he can breathe and sing, or he needs an oxygen tank with him on stage.

The band sounds great though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

Actually Ticketmaster is the only folks selling the tickets nationwide. And it really bugs me that they charge a $13 per ticket "convenience charge and a $4 per ticket Building Facility Charge. Guess I better be glad they don't have a Homeland Security Security Charge factored in as well. The $90 for the ticket doesn't bother me that much, I don't go to many concerts anymore and I'm happy with the ones I pick.

Glatt, your opinion is yours to share but you either like the man or you don't, I happen to have been a fan since I saw him in 1974 and would have to disagree with you on your halftime show review, but that would be my opinion.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
glatt

yeah, sorry to be a wet blanket.

I hope you find tickets you like for a price you can live with. And I hope you have fun at the concert.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I second getting in touch with the venue Chris.
Not having any cards, I haven't been able to use TicketMaster for a long time, and have not suffered for it.
Then again, I've usually lived close enough to the venue to go in person - this may not be appropriate for you.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

The whole sale secondary vendors have computers set up to snatch all the good tickets from the second they are sold. It happens everywhere. Try a secondary vendor and see what they are charging for those $60 general admission seats. $300, $400, $600 or more. It is a scam.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
yeah, sorry to be a wet blanket.

I hope you find tickets you like for a price you can live with. And I hope you have fun at the concert.
Gosh Glatt thanks, I'm getting all teared up!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I expect it'll get worse if they buy up/merge with Live Nation as I read they're trying to.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

There was a news item I read this morning about Ticketmaster's computers being unable to sell any Springsteen tickets, and linking to another branch of Ticketmaster which specializes in selling tickets at inflated prices.

I ask you...do you for one minute think that Ticketmaster said, "Let's see, we can sell tickets for normal price, or feign a problem and sell them for four or five times the normal price. Yeah, let's sell them at regular price."

Not a chance. Ticket selling is out of fucking control in this country. Just another scam to bleed the consumer. I don't know why they bother to put a regular price on tickets anymore, because you can't buy them at face value or anything remotely close to it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I've found a way around the problem. I don't go to concerts.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The people in NJ are really pissed off. The NJ Attorney General's office is launching an investigation of Ticketmaster's business practices,
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Link

Quote:
Lawmaker calls for Ticketmaster investigation

When tickets for Bruce Springsteen’s new tour went on sale exclusively through Ticketmaster on February 2, “scores of fans in New Jersey were met with technical difficulty on Ticketmaster.com that impaired them from making a purchase,” says US congressmen Bill Pascrell Jr.

Thousands of others, “fortunate enough to get beyond the technical problems,” were told the shows were sold out.

But, “Conspicuously placed on the same screen that informed fans of ticket unavailability was an alternative purchasing option from TicketsNow.com,” says Pascrell, going on:

“It offered the same tickets at a value marked up hundreds of dollars beyond their original face value.”

Pascrell, a congressmen in Springsteen’s home state, is now demanding the Federal Trade Commissionand Department of Justice Antitrust Division, “investigate Ticketmaster’s relationship with its subsidiary company, TicketsNow”.

In a letter to FCC chairman William Kovacic, “As you know, Ticketmaster is a large ticket sales and distribution company that often serves as a venue’s sole ticketing agent,” says Pascrell, continuing »»»