The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

"Cock" and other jargon

When you start at a new workplace, you meet a whole new group of people. You also meet a whole new group of sayings.

At CHN, instead of saying "damn!" or "crap!" when something goes wrong, they say "Caaaaaahhhhhhhkkk!" ('Cock' drawn out to sound like the "aaaww" in "aaaaaawww shucks!" when you really mean it) People get called "Cock" far more frequently than other, more mainstream 'friendly insult' words. A few of them will chirp 'cock!' randomly as they go about their business. It's ludicrous, innapropriate, and potentially offensive to an unseen customer. Yet, I catch myself playing along. I even have jinx saying it when she's frustrated.

Funny how we take on the local dialect. Sometimes, a new person will bring new jargon with them. I remember a salesman named 'JR' who brought us 'mook'. within months, all of the 'bad ups' were known as Mooks. At Family, they were geeches, At CHN, they're strappers. We also refer to them as Mr or Mrs [insert distinguishing characteristic here](er)man. ex: "Mrs Booberman" or "Mr Toupeeman"

ok, now you.

Cock!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I'm not sure why, but that just tickled the shit out of me. It made me want to sell cars. I'm a huge people watcher, and I remember hanging out at the mall as a kid with my best friend murmering insults under our breat a lot. "Hey check out the butter face", or "man you could show a movie on that ass....a double feature!", etc. My friend was really good at it. He would walk up on people and say it so loud I swore they could hear him, but they just kept walking.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 PM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

i think we covered this in an old thread, but at the car store i was at
bad ups were "jags". "strokes" are the ones who would haggle and then walk away when we agreed to their numbers. we also referred to that as mental masturbation. and anytime either a really hot chick or a truly hideous hag stepped on the lot, 30 salesguys would say to each other "wooja" - as in "would you do her?"

then the really ballsy guys would try to throw in swear words or racial slurs into their conversations with customers in a way that would keep the customer in the dark. we had a really bizarre point keeping system for that.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
garnet

After reading this I am never setting foot on another car lot for as long as I live.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
farfromhome
Management Consultant

When you've been away, you miss shit. Why is LumberJames in a new job?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
farfromhome
Management Consultant

I indentify with what hes saying though. Even to this day I'll say something that I never thought about in any way before, only to turn around and see people staring at me. Weird.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
After reading this I am never setting foot on another car lot for as long as I live.
easy, Mrs Dikerman. This is not about car lots, it's about language.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:40 PM   #8
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Slow down there Mr. Lingoman I don't understand the term "bad ups".
Old 12-11-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromhome
When you've been away, you miss shit. Why is LumberJames in a new job?
Bigger money, bigger title, bigger excitement.

Some of our stuff ...

"genuinely crazy person" ... this is high praise. it means the person suffers from a major mental illness rather than stupidity, alcoholism or drug use.

"empathy free zone" ... the office itself.

"The rat turd does not fall far from the kumquat" ... second or third generation crazy person

We also will find some distinguishing characteristic about a patient and use that as a means of identifying to coworkers who you are working with, as in "I have Mind Control Man, Stinky Guy, and the Crack Whore. I think that The Princess of Darkness (a frequent flyer whose name we do not speak) needs to pee. Is she yours?"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:52 AM   #10
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
easy, Mrs Dikerman. This is not about car lots, it's about language.
OK, Mr. Dickerhead, but car lots are still not a fun place for most people to go to. And BTW, we like you lots better since you've been behaving lately.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

It's "Mr Dickheaderman"

and thanks. aint it just a great big love fest in here?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

LOL @ Mr. Dickheaderman!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:05 PM   #13
lookout123
changed his status to single

we still don't know if garnet doesn't like carlots because she falls into one of the "wooja" categories, or not.

radar - bad up = a waste of time. probably falls into one or more of the 3B's 1) bankrupt, 2) broke, 3) bored (window shopper).
Old 12-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #14
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I guess I'd be a bad up. I have a bankruptcy on my record. The funny part is after I went to court and it finally went through, my mail box was filled with car companies, and credit cards begging to give me credit.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #15
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
we still don't know if garnet doesn't like carlots because she falls into one of the "wooja" categories, or not.
Yes I probably do fit into one of the "wooja" categories, but I'll let you use your imagination.

The last time I was car shopping I encountered a charming salesman who stared at boobs the entire time. It was a lovely experience. I plan on keeping my current vehicle until its last dying breath.