The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #31
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Oh, It makes a lot of sense - After I stopped partying I went back to hanging out with my high school friends. There are six of us and to this day we still get together to play poker at least twice a year. Its really odd to have kids that are older than we were when we first met. Even now after 30+ years, some married, some divorced, all with kids and so on, we still have a bond that will definitely last a lifetime. Its great to know there are people that you can talk to or count on no matter what life throws at you.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:50 AM   #32
rkzenrage

When I got sick most of my "friends" bailed.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 AM   #33
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

First of all, Gannet, I would like to apologize for my insensitivity yesterday; I wondered if this were some sort of hoax or simply, as I wrote earlier, proselytizing. At this point, it would appear that I was wrong. If you will allow me, I would like to welcome you to the Cellar. There are many good people here, with loads of heart. There can be a great deal of love to be felt, but I would like to caution against coming on too strongly with scripture quotation. As can be readily seen, most here don't take to it when we feel it is being foisted upon us.
Uisge Beatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:00 AM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What makes you think you were wrong, Uisge Beatha?
Quote:
Please be thorough in your answers. Thank you for your assistance in this non-hypothetical matter.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #35
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Well, Bruce, that very quote could simply be taken as a genuine request for opinions. Both you and wolf made statements in the Even the Devil can quote Scripture... thread that lead me to believe this is not a hoax. While it still tends to come across as proselytizing, Gannet might wish to lighten up a bit and join the gang. I have been a little upset with a few comments at times (as, quite likely, others have been), but I don't want to let a few ruffled feathers on my part keep me from enjoying all the good that is to be had here.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Considering the questions asked, before demanding thorough answers in this non-hypothetical matter, are absolutely unanswerable without background information, how can it be anything but a set up for a sermon?
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM   #37
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Perhaps, only time will tell. I admit freely that I am a big sucker; I fall for jokes and tricks far more than most others do. When I stop to think abut things, I'd rather look foolish while being too nice than just be brusque or nasty. I'm not saying that you are being rude; I just thought better of what I said yesterday. At this point, the worst that can happen is that everyone gets a good laugh at me; I've gotten past making a fool of myself too many times to worry.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 AM   #38
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Oh, It makes a lot of sense - After I stopped partying I went back to hanging out with my high school friends. There are six of us and to this day we still get together to play poker at least twice a year. Its really odd to have kids that are older than we were when we first met. Even now after 30+ years, some married, some divorced, all with kids and so on, we still have a bond that will definitely last a lifetime. Its great to know there are people that you can talk to or count on no matter what life throws at you.
Damn.....thats impressive.

I pretty much lost contact with all my high school friends and I'm just a little over a year out of high school.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #39
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I don't know. I'm certainly not going to feel bad about my posts. My relationship with God is my personal business, and it rankles me when someone talks down to a group of people because said group hasn't given away their DVD players and cans of pork-n-beans to the poor. This gannett knows not what my trials and tribulations have been.

I also believe God has a sense of humor, or at least recognizes the importance of one in humans. With all my irreverent and dark comments, what is in my heart is good and means well.

So, still, gannett can kiss my forsookin' ass. Fire and brimstone doesn't cut it in my world, which is simply a world of a soul trying to be happy and stay sane and to make someone smile from time to time.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #40
Uisge Beatha
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
So, still, gannett can kiss my forsookin' ass. Fire and brimstone doesn't cut it in my world, which is simply a world of a soul trying to be happy and stay sane and to make someone smile from time to time.
You're doing just fine Shawnee; you do have a good heart and you make lots of folks smile quite often. Oh, and if your tushy is ever out east, I'd be happy to pucker up, myself - hell, just look at my new user title.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 AM   #41
Shawnee123

Thank you, Uisge. You're very kind.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. People reaching out with acts of kindness. Sometimes we even reach out with sadness, sometimes with anger, sometimes with laughter. If God doesn't understand the intricate fabric of our lives, who will?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #42
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Thank you, Uisge. You're very kind.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. People reaching out with acts of kindness. Sometimes we even reach out with sadness, sometimes with anger, sometimes with laughter. If God doesn't understand the intricate fabric of our lives, who will?
You got it right - I'm sure He understands them all too well - He is "The Creator" after all.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #43
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet495 View Post
Two people were friends, and pledged to remain so with a vow. One of those friends, for whatever reason, forsook the friendship and left. The other friend, committed to the vow, continued to pursue peace with that other person and reestablish the friendship.

a) What should happen to the first friend who broke their promise?
b) What should the second person do, seeing as they actually valued the friendship, now that the first person is gone? Should they continue to pursue it or will it be an exercise in futility?
c) Why would the first person have left despite their vow?
d) What should be the second person's course of action now that they have been betrayed?

Please be thorough in your answers. Thank you for your assistance in this non-hypothetical matter.
I think I figured it out. This is like one of the riddles, I mean parables, where you're walking around on the beach (at Ram Island, perhaps) and sometimes there are a bunch of footprints and sometimes the monkey jumps on your back and there are less footprints and sometimes there is just one set of prints and a big giant line where someone dragged you through the sand. Or something. I always forget how that story goes.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #44
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

lol!!!!

I think you should stalk her until she begs you for divine mercy and to be lead back into the flock.
Can't you see when she needs your help? If she's a friend you need to make her repent. It's your duty.
God I hope I don't know you....do I know you?
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #45
monster
I hear them call the tide

gannet never came back to analyse our answers