The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I cannot stand her. Her voice hits the same frequency as fingernails on a chalkboard. And she is too perky. I do not respond well to perky.

However, her Salmon Dip from the back of the Ritz box is a total winner.

The only cooking shows I genuinely like are Iron Chef (original) and Top Chef on Bravo. But neither of them are really about the food.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #32
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Exactly, where is she on the perkiness spectrum?
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #33
lhatcher
Go, you might meet someone

I think she makes a good point for easy cooking, that you can substitute this for that and generally use what you have instead of making a special trip for one item that only goes in one recipe; HOWEVER, I hate repetition and the constant "Yum" and "Delish" got old real quick, not to mention the E.V.O.O. and then (seriously, every time) says the words Extra Virgin Olive Oil. What's the friggin point of using an abbreviation if you're then going to say what it means? She does this in the cookbooks too! I can't stand it.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #34
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
Hey, I know that picture! I linked to it in the word famous Cellar erect nipples thread, which is apparently no longer #4 on Google, like it used to be. In fact, I couldn't find it at all in a Google search for "erect nipples"
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #35
chrisinhouston
Professor

The only thing positive I'll say for R. Ray is that she has made a success of herself. I belive it was only 5-6 years ago that she was demonstrating cooking gadgets at Macy's in NY. Now she is a millionairess or close.

I have been a viewer of the Food Network for some time, I'm home in the late afternoon and ususally do the cooking for dinner. I get tired of the news as I listen to NPR and BBC during the day and check the Internet and I find cooking entertaining. That being said, I am getting really bored with their current trend towards home chefs with little proffesional training and their survivor type shows.

In the early days, I enjoyed Two Fat Ladies, Ready Steady Cook and Doorknock Dinners. I liked Sara Moulton, the chocolate/desert chef with the french accent and the other dessert chef-Sween treats. I could put up with Emeril, Mario and Bobby as pro chefs but preferred Ming Tsai and Tyler Florence as they are less showy and pretentous. Jamie Oliver was nuts but at least fun to watch.

My number one favorite was the old Iron Chef, so well done, campy and funny as well as entertaining. I especially liked the old chef who would always take the time to write out his menu before cooking as the opponents ran around the kitchen trying to get ahead of him. The dubbing voices were as good as Woody Allen's "What's Up Tiger Lily?" I remember one show where the secret ingredient was ocotpus and the competitor insisted on beating the dead thing with a melon because that is what they did in his prefecture, so typically Japanese.

The only one worse then Rachel Ray is Sandra Lee, a dingy blond who dresses up in the wierdest costumes and then prepares the meal in them. I crack up over her term "table scapes" and her closing "keep it simple, keep it fun and always keep it semi-homemade". I read where she was the replacement for Martha Stewart, old Martha must be chocking on that one!

Giada De Laurentiis is pretty to look at and her show is well filmed but I think she uses Botox in her lips and her teeth look fake. And you know she can't be eating all that Italian food because she would weigh 400 lbs! Ina Garten's husband is one spolied puppy; he comes home every night to a big fancy meal. I rate Alton Brown's shows highly as they are informative and amusing, he really gets into the satire which is entertaining.

That's the way I see it and I agree that maybe R. R. will move on to something else!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhouston
The only thing positive I'll say for R. Ray is that she has made a success of herself. I belive it was only 5-6 years ago that she was demonstrating cooking gadgets at Macy's in NY. Now she is a millionairess or close.
Point well taken, I'd bite the heads off chickens at a rode show if it made me a millionaire, a couple of years of that and I'd be ready to retire.

I liked the galloping gourmet, but then that was 30 sumpin years ago when cooking was simpler.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #37
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Paul Prudhomme's original recipe is about the only blackened fish seasoning that tastes as it should. Everybody else's is just too damn bland.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #38
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Here is a Rachel vid for you all ,
Rachel Ray's $40 a day orgasm

Last edited by wolf; 12-20-2006 at 12:30 AM. Reason: moderator note: html tags edited into BBcode for the good of the order.
zippyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I liked the galloping gourmet, but then that was 30 sumpin years ago when cooking was simpler.
And he was still drunk. Once he sobered up and discovered low cholesterol cooking, he was no longer entertaining.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #40
warch
lurkin old school

I enjoyed the Jamie Oliver mini series when he took the VW van through Italy while turning 30.

Rachel is like that annoying sister-in-law, she seems to mean well.

Like Alton, although his humor can be a bit too forced. he means well.

Emeril needs to go away. Ramsey F-off. Flay, get a job. Bayless...shave that thing already.

My favorite is still Anthony Bourdain. sigh. (maybe its that Ramones T shirt)
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #41
Pie
Gone and done

Anybody read Heat by Bill Buford? I found it a damn good read, much like Bourdain's books.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #42
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I really want that book, like really really; his previous book "Among the Thugs" was the most amazing work, participatory journalism amongst the football hooligans.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #43
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie
Anybody read Heat by Bill Buford? I found it a damn good read, much like Bourdain's books.
King Crimson pwns!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #44
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

yay! i'm under the rock too, yay!

there's something to be said for only watching football on tv.

zippy, that reminds me of that pulp fiction where they only show clips of people saying fuck.

it would suck to have to react to your food on camera so often. how many different ways can you say yum? without cussing......
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #45
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Well, she's right up near a 10, but then she's only about two years older than 10 as well, so it is sort of moot.

Rather reminds me of the Blind Faith album cover.
Attached Images