The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

doomsday 2012

december 21st 2012 by the mayan calendar. did they just get sick of it and stop? or is it going to end on that day?

whaddya think?

buying it? stocking up on canned goods yet? learning how stuff is made?

seems like that big 'how to' book would be a good investment just in case, doesn't it? if there is an apocalypse, do you figure that you'll be one of the survivors? do you think much about it?

i'll tell you, I don't know if it's a result of movies I've seen and books I've read, but deep down in my gut.....i can totally see it happening. I expect it, almost. like all the life plans we make are pointless because society is going to come unglued anyway.

is that just escapism? I have to plan to live until I'm 100 in this society anyway....but it's there, in the back of my mind.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My Dad moved out of Brisbane and to the country so he would be more isolated when the end of the world comes. He pisses me off when he starts talking about the end of the world. He's a real fruitcake like that. I could go on for hours with all his theories of doom and catastophe.

Personally I think if it happens it'll just happen. Till then, I'll just continue to live my life the best way I can. Sure things look pretty grim when you consider life on a global scale, but right now, I'm one of the lucky ones. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Did an ancient, barbarian society somehow have access to some special knowledge that we now don't have? And somehow we can't find out with our wealths of information, ability to share knowledge, scientific understanding?

Maybe about some things, but about the end of the world, I would doubt that. To have either prior knowledge of what the apocalpyse is -- or the perfect ability to predict the future -- that's a tall order man. Prior knowledge of the very day of the apocalypse would suggest time travel, precision astronomy, or a message from the aliens. The perfect ability to predict the future would suggest time travel or some sort of bizarre psychic power shared across an entire culture that we are currently unaware of.

And then, to have any one of these abilities and yet still be entirely dominated by the incoming Europeans... bad karma man! Couldn't they have used their special thing, whatever it is, against the white man? Call the aliens back, hey your plan wasn't supposed to include us getting offed, right? What do you mean this time travel thing can only do centuries, we need to erase the battle we lost last night!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

How does moving to the country help when the end of the world hits? key words....end...of...the...world.

Ew, I just sneezed all over my screen.

Anyways, LJ, I dont believe you when you spew shit like this...

Quote:
i'll tell you, I don't know if it's a result of movies I've seen and books I've read, but deep down in my gut.....i can totally see it happening. I expect it, almost. like all the life plans we make are pointless because society is going to come unglued anyway.
so unLJ like.

I'll just keep living the way I do, till I die, one way or another.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

they did actually project the arrival of the conquistadors to the day......

i;m watching a show as we speak....
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe they didn't all get offed by whitey, maybe they just traveled to the future.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

My nana taught me to foodshop like the world might end any minute.....
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
How does moving to the country help when the end of the world hits? key words....end...of...the...world.
I know. I agree, but Dad somehow thinks he can avoid it all and become some sort of grizzly adams or something living deep inside his forest. Who knows.

Quote:
Ew, I just sneezed all over my screen.
Don't worry about that. It's not the end of the world.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #9
NoBoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Did an ancient, barbarian society somehow have access to some special knowledge ... Maybe about some things, but about the end of the world, I would doubt that ...
That end of the world theory is ridiculous. The Maya subsistence economy was based fundamentally on corn. When their civilization began to decline, they speculated about when there would be a resurgence of a corn based utopia. For reasons yet to be ascertained, they settled on 12/21/12. As it turns out, this happens to be about when technology will give us engines that run efficiently on corn products providing us with unlimited power, luxury, and free time. The Maya figured that people would then need something to do; so, they left it to us to make our own calendar.

Another mystery solved.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Screw the Mayan Calendar, my desk calendar runs out on December 31 2008! Holy crap guys that gives us barely 11 months! The End Is NIGH!
And this isn's some ancient, out of date thingy from some technologically underdeveloped people, this is a recent production using the best human society has to offer. I'm really worried.

Edit: Ok, don't panic. I found another page showing that there will in fact be a 2009. We've got some breathing space for the aliens to come and save us.

Last edited by ZenGum; 01-22-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Update
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I've tried to get this word out. The aliens are coming back to get us December 24, 2011. People, people, when will you believe?

Foretold in what was one of the most thoroughly scientific documentaries ever made. Evah! Read this great review if you don't believe me.

Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Feels like an extension of the whole Y2K thing. Meh. Whatever. I am not canceling any plans. But, I do know people who plan like that day is the end.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

The end of the "World" won't happen for 6 billion years, when our sun starts to die.
The end of the PEOPLE might come sooner.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Listed here are the top ten ways to destroy earth. These are not natural possible ends, but ways we could go about actually doing it.

I think number four is my favourite, if only because we're doing it already. No I'm not talking ruining the planet environmentally, I mean actually physically destroying it.

bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Cower before me, puny mortals!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
they did actually project the arrival of the conquistadors to the day......

i;m watching a show as we speak....
That event occured with the ending of the last full cycle of the Mayan Calendar, which is what we're facing in December 2012.

Although most people discuss the event as fortelling the end of the world, it's more about the CHANGE of the world. Given drastic enough changes, the world does seem to end, doesn't it?

The Mayans' world ended with the arrival of the Spaniards, after all.

The dawning of the Sixth Sun (in Mayan Cosmology, we're currently in the Fifth Sun, although others, like the Hopi, say that the transition is from the Fourth World to the Fifth, since their creator Gods climbed up the sacred ladder to emerge in this world to begin again.

I'm intending to make popcorn and stock extra ammo and see what happens.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote