Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 01-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #196
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
i dont mind the dancing as much as the guys like james thrash who have to point at the sky and thank jesus for an 8 yard reception. gimme a break.
If I were James Thrash, I'd probably give praise every time I caught a ball, too: A so-so receiver who attended a Div II school and now plays for one of the best teams in the NFL.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #197
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Wolf is all woman. In fact, far more woman than most of us can handle, I think. I have enormous respect for her because of this, and for Slang, as well...
Wolf reminds me of one of my best friends growing up--Holly. Holly was the only gal in our group, out of the 8 or 9 of us regulars. She was all woman, but could easily hold her own with the guys. And Lord knows we gave her more than enough shit.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:16 PM   #198
Gwennie!
Not Female at Birth

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
One of the greatest joys of having Marcus Allen finish his career here in KC was the sheer, pure class of the man. He would make one of the most amazing touchdown runs I've ever seen, then simply trot over to the Ref and hand him the ball. No frigging dancing, no finger pointing, no jumping up and down and acting like he was the greatest thing since Jehovah decided to rape Mary.

They don't make 'em like Marcus any more. What the hell ever happened to humility?
Yes. The performance speaks for itself. Leave the Sharpies and Cell Phones at home, boyz. Go for spontaneous celebration with your teammates; you didn't do it all by yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
i dont mind the dancing as much as the guys like james thrash who have to point at the sky and thank jesus for an 8 yard reception. gimme a break.
Yep. The conservative pundants complain about liberal musicians and how they should just "Shut up and sing". Well, same goes for religious players: "Shut up and play".

The game is your employer's stage; you are paid to perform, not to steal a piece of the stage for your own politics, whatever that may be.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:47 AM   #199
stlbob
Romantic Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I didn't see anything wrong with the Rams' Bob-n-Weave...it's not like they were taunting anybody, pulling Sharpies out of their sock, pulling cell phones out, or running to the middle of the opposing team's field. It was fun...and you don't see any other teams really doing that anymore.
I think the reason you don't see it anymore is because the No Fun League made it illegal in 2000 to stop the Rams from doing it. You make a good point about it being better than some of the other things, but I still saw it as taunting the other team. For the record, I still live in St. Louis and am a Rams fan.
stlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:42 PM   #200
elSicomoro

Joe Gibbs going back to coach the Redskins?!

Are you fucking serious?!

Jesus...that almost makes me want to like the Redskins again...except there's that whole Dan Snyder thing...
Old 01-07-2004, 08:27 PM   #201
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i used to hate him...and theisman...and riggs. since spurrier and turner have had the helm, they've been such a non factor, that the nfc east was a bit boring. i welcome him back, and just hope he hasn't lost what he had that made him so good. now if the Gints could get their shit together, the nfc east could be a whole lot of fun.

does he still do the race car thing?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM   #202
elSicomoro

Yes...from the Washington Post:

"But rest assured, I remain personally committed to Joe Gibbs Racing and each and every sponsor who supports the many employees of Joe Gibbs Racing."
Old 01-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #203
elSicomoro

I have just witnessed one of the most bizarre football games ever...

The Rams offense was good...except in the red zone. Couldn't score touchdowns. The Rams then took a page from the Baltimore Ravens playbook of old and were leading on field goals.

Carolina was running all over the place. Stephen Davis gets hurt. No problem...they use DeShaun Foster and Nick Goings. The Panthers make incredibly stupid mistakes...at one point, it's 1st and 35 for them. But the Rams can't get the ball into the end zone...and Bulger throws 2 interceptions. After a few lead changes on field goals, the Panthers score a TD. With just over 4 minutes left in the game, the Panthers are up by 11.

Suddenly, Marshall Faulk wills the Rams back to life. Finally, they score a touchdown. 23-20, Panthers, with 2 1/2 minutes left.

Jeff Wilkins makes an onside kick...and recovers it himself. The Rams get down to the Panthers 15 yard line with 23 seconds and one time out left. But Martz lets the clock run down to 3 seconds before calling a time out. Wilkins's kick is good. 23-23...we're going into overtime.

Panthers move the ball down to the Rams 21 yard line. They get pushed back a yard, and send John Kasay out to attempt a 40-yard field goal.

Delay of game on the Panthers. 5 yard penalty. After a couple of attempts to get more yardage, Kasay goes back on the field to attempt a 45-yard field goal.

Wide right.

Rams get the ball back and march down to the Panthers 35 yard line. Jeff Wilkins comes out to attempt a 53-yard field goal.

Just short.

Panthers get the ball back, but wind up punting in the end. Rams get the ball back and move it down to the Panthers 35 yard line. Bulger attempts to pass to Big Game Torry Holt...

Interception. After a couple of attempts by the Panthers to move the ball, the 1st overtime quarter is over.

The first play of the second overtime quarter: a 69-yard pass by Jake Delhomme to Steve Smith. Panthers 29, Rams 23.

My hopes for 2004:

--Mike Martz is fired...he's crazy.
--Marc Bulger is traded.
--Kurt Warner is given one more shot to return to his former glory.
--Lovie Smith stays in St. Louis and is named head coach.

At least now, I can root for the Eagles again...
Old 01-10-2004, 11:18 PM   #204
Bob R
Pithy Euphemist

My hearts throbbing.

I just knew that the Titans are the best team we have faced, all year.

Colts, no.... Chiefs, no .... You need to find some "D"

So, let me figure this out:

Next week is for the AFC Championship - and a trip to the Super Bowl.

Bring it on!

Go Pats!!!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 11:36 PM   #205
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I think what's good about Gibbs taking over is that "Dan from Bethesda" has finally found an owner that he can kowtow to. And I mean that in a good way.

Dan Snyder has finally found an owner that he can disagree with and accept it. THAT is what is different about Gibbs versus the other coaches Snyder hired. Snyder actually trusts Gibbs.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:48 PM   #206
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
Dan Snyder has finally found an owner that he can disagree with and accept it. THAT is what is different about Gibbs versus the other coaches Snyder hired. Snyder actually trusts Gibbs.
You hope...I still wouldn't trust Snyder any further than I can throw him.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #207
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The Chiefs should be expecting a very nice Xmas card from the Colts next year. They gift wrapped the game today and handed it to them.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #208
elSicomoro

Yep...the Chiefs' D just couldn't stop 'em.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:22 PM   #209
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Eagles!
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #210
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

First-down Freddie comes through on 4th and 26... Favre makes the worst decision of his entire life... Akers misses a close one in the wind and makes up for it with the game-tying FG AND the game-winning FG...

THIS is the team of destiny.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote