The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

View Poll Results: I love Junior because:
I enjoy how life in the US is just like life in the Twilight Zone these days 8 30.77%
I'm a kid who blows up frogs, myself 3 11.54%
I adore watching darkies drown on the evening news 1 3.85%
He's put the terror back in the word "terrorism!" 9 34.62%
It's about time someone got rid of that stupid bill of rights! 8 30.77%
I love my country, but I love my SUV more! 1 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 03:33 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
We have neither, therefore strategy is necessary. [/i]
In the case of Iraq, for example, the strategy is something along the lines of "We can kick their asses pretty easy, and we won't get nuked in the process, so let's go do them first. We'll talk about really dangerous regeimes later, m'kay..."

Then, the hope is that places like North Korea will see us over there in Iraq doing a great job of kicking ass and setting things right, and subsequently give up their Evil Axis Membership Cards and start singing Kumbaya so we won't come do the same to them.

I know it sounds dicey, but it *is* strategy. Time will tell if it was *good* strategy.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:36 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
We have neither, therefore strategy is necessary. [/i]
In the case of Iraq, for example, the strategy is something along the lines of "We can kick their asses pretty easy, and we won't get nuked in the process, so let's go do them first. We'll talk about really dangerous regeimes later, m'kay..."

Then, the hope is that places like North Korea will see us over there in Iraq doing a great job of kicking ass and setting things right, and subsequently give up their Evil Axis Membership Cards and start singing Kumbaya so we won't come do the same to them. In the meantime, the strategy would be a lot more effective if all the damn peaceniks and hippies would shut the hell up and get with the program. They're all making us look weak and ineffective. You remember what happened the last time, don't you? We lost the war, and Vietnam became a no-good Commie country. All because a bunch of damn dirty dopehead, free-love peacenik hippies messed with the strategy!

I know this all sounds dicey, but it *is* a form of strategy. Time will tell if it was *good* strategy.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 PM   #18
marichiko

I would also like everyone to take note how the fall of S. Vietnam ushered in world wide communism, along with lots of stuff made by the communist Chinese pretending to be capitalists, now available at your local Walmart.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #19
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
My overriding and I believe permanently standing point, you vis-à-vis me, is that you could be something better than an ass.
Well, at least she has something to aspire to. I'm afraid you have reached your evolutionary plateau and will remain homo posterior.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Why wonder, when it is clear that the problems presented by these four-plus trouble spots could be solved by the application of infinite manpower and infinite funds?

We have neither, therefore strategy is necessary. I understand this, even if you pretend you don't. Think, woman, think.
This is the funny bit here. While you fantasize about blowing the budget and getting American kids killed in your favorite hell-hole, you crack down on another stupid idea that comes from the same kind of world redemptive Wilsonian thinking you are guilty of.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 AM   #21
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Well, at least she has something to aspire to. I'm afraid you have reached your evolutionary plateau and will remain homo posterior.

BS, Rich, as I expect to tell you very frequently. Your sneers, my dear, readily patronizable fellow, are invalid because your model is wrong, and an attempt -- not for the first time -- to bolster your ego by assailing mine is the mark of an immature mind. You suffer overmuch from fatuity, though I don't think you're actually stupid, unlike a few I could name -- just a bit ignorant and maybe prejudiced by your environment, to borrow a phrase from Heinlein.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 AM   #22
Urbane Guerrilla

"Fantasize about blowing the budget"? That is what I'm cautioning against. And you actually missed that?

Hellhole? Is it not a reliable bet that hells on earth are made in places with totalitarian regimes? -- places that are not libertarian enough and thus poor and oppressed?

Wilsonian? There are two fundamental choices here: either passively accept the badness of the world and do nothing about the kind of people who displease themselves so much with us as to fly our airplanes into our buildings -- an action widely understood to be unjust -- or get proactive, excise these tumors from the body politic, global and local (the only real difference between the two is how long you have to journey to get there) and get a better world thereby. Personally, I've had enough of being the longsuffering target of every planarian fucker with a bomb and a grudge, and of putting up with the world's badness, and I'm of the view it needs a pretty dramatic reduction.

I am at bottom an optimist, Griff. You are fundamentally a pessimist, and you want everyone who claims libertarian beliefs to be the same kind of passivist pessimist you are. You cannot get this sick miserable thing you want. I advise you, for the sake of your own good mental hygiene, to stop wanting it.

You cannot, Griff, now or ever, persuade me of the rightness of your pessimist view. Friendly advice: the next time you get the urge to convert me to your pessimism, and I've read enough of your posts to expect there will be a next time, remember that that is where you get off, where you fuck off, where you stay fucked off, and really far off. About eleven parsecs will do, I suppose. (I've been reading Barnett's Celestial Handbook [3 vols] and am likely to sprinkle astronomical references through my posts for a while yet.) I'm not going to hear it; stop uttering it and say something constructive instead.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 10-25-2005 at 04:18 AM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:34 AM   #23
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
I would also like everyone to take note how the fall of S. Vietnam ushered in world wide communism, along with lots of stuff made by the communist Chinese pretending to be capitalists, now available at your local Walmart.
Your view's misplaced, Mari. It ushered in two and a half million unnecessary deaths and a dozen years of systemic poverty. Stupid waste on either count, and something the practice of Communism causes. Vietnam only began to come out of its induced poverty and stagnated economy when it abandoned the general practice of Communism. This abandonment will be complete when Hanoi no longer calls for it as a sort of state religion. Laos, another fallen domino, AFAIK, is still bogged down in Communism. Heroin's probably their only growth sector.

Time may cure people of the malady of collectivist totalitarianism, since in an evolutionary paradigm, Communists survive less well, have shorter average lifespans, and make poorer use of earthly resources and in the end get out-bred by the capitalists with their better resource use and longer lifespans -- but eliminating the regimes that enforce Communism would get the job done far quicker. And how much of the world's misery will be forestalled?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 AM   #24
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Who is Ted Rall? I am always interested to hear of potential sympathizers to my decidedly iconoclastic and largely irreverent philosophy re politics and life in general.

The last person who mentioned His Holiness, the Dali Lama, to me was an unrepentant criminal. Why are you bringing the Dali Lama into your reply? Are you suggesting that you emulate him or are you requesting of me that I do so? The Dali Lama is unashamedly pacifist, by the way.
I see you remain unable to get the point. Pitiful. Ever heard of a rhetorical question? (I know what the answer to that one is.)

And I do not encourage the spread of Ted Rall's kind of "thinking." He's a very nasty piece of work. Try a Google search, you lazy hemipygian ass. Your want of initiative and intellectual curiosity is truly spectacular.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:57 AM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
"Fantasize about blowing the budget"? That is what I'm cautioning against. And you actually missed that?
I missed that in your unnuanced support for the Bush regime and its war of choice.

Quote:

Wilsonian? There are two fundamental choices here: either passively accept the badness of the world and do nothing about the kind of people who displease themselves so much with us as to fly our airplanes into our buildings -- an action widely understood to be unjust -- or get proactive, excise these tumors from the body politic, global and local (the only real difference between the two is how long you have to journey to get there) and get a better world thereby. Personally, I've had enough of being the longsuffering target of every planarian fucker with a bomb and a grudge, and of putting up with the world's badness, and I'm of the view it needs a pretty dramatic reduction.
You prescribe the disease to treat it.

Quote:
I am at bottom an optimist, Griff. You are fundamentally a pessimist, and you want everyone who claims libertarian beliefs to be the same kind of passivist pessimist you are. You cannot get this sick miserable thing you want. I advise you, for the sake of your own good mental hygiene, to stop wanting it.
I remain a pessimist about government action (force) and an optimist about human action.

An optimistic thought: Someday America's government will limit itself to the borders of the Constitution and will no longer be the tool of every half-baked utopian.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #26
marichiko

Quote:
Your view's misplaced, Mari. It ushered in two and a half million unnecessary deaths and a dozen years of systemic poverty. Stupid waste on either count, and something the practice of Communism causes. Vietnam only began to come out of its induced poverty and stagnated economy when it abandoned the general practice of Communism. This abandonment will be complete when Hanoi no longer calls for it as a sort of state religion. Laos, another fallen domino, AFAIK, is still bogged down in Communism. Heroin's probably their only growth sector.
I am no fan of death and poverty, but the reasons given for the war at the time was to prevent the fall of all of Asia to Communism, NOT a humanitarian concern for the people of S. Vietnam. Yes, a couple of "domino's" fell, but it was not the colossal collapse that great Republican minds were predicting at the time.

BTW, your habit of making multiple posts all at once is confusing. Its easy to address several issues in one post.

See?

Quote:
I see you remain unable to get the point. Pitiful. Ever heard of a rhetorical question? (I know what the answer to that one is.)

And I do not encourage the spread of Ted Rall's kind of "thinking." He's a very nasty piece of work. Try a Google search, you lazy hemipygian ass. Your want of initiative and intellectual curiosity is truly spectacular.
Sorry, I still don't get the point about the Dali Lama.

Ooooh, and I love Ted Rall! Thank you! I finally looked him up!
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #27
Urbane Guerrilla

Two and a half million unnecessary deaths seem sufficiently colossal. And that's for Vietnam alone. Add two-plus million unnecessarily dead Khmers to the butcher's bill for Cambodia... Laos... we should have made taking North Vietnam our objective, along with tying Red China's dick in a knot and telling them to like it. Limited wars are losing wars...

And Ted Rall is as much a walking embodiment of wrongness as Michael Crook. Emetic, the both of them.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:07 PM   #28
marichiko

Well, I'm not going to refight the Vietnam War with you, UG. I won't argue that the number of deaths in that part of the world, Cambodia's killing fields, included, has not been a great human tragedy. However, Pol Pot might never have siezed power but for the US invasion which destabilized the country.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #29
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
And Ted Rall is as much a walking embodiment of wrongness as Michael Crook. Emetic, the both of them.
Rall is a walking embodiment of violent opinion. When he's right he's devastating, and when he's wrong he's disgusting.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #30
Urbane Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I missed that in your unnuanced support for the Bush regime and its war of choice.
It's my war too, Griff. I also consider that an array of choices came to an end on 9/11, or earlier. Finally, after decades of ineffectuality, we have a President who does what's supposed to be done. It is also fortunate that he is the second such President in recent times.

Quote:
You prescribe the disease to treat it.
Democratization is a disease? Progression towards libertarian social orders is a disease? Removing the evil of totalitarianism is a disease?

Griff, I'm willing myself not to explode. I want action taken; you don't, and will give singularly bad and unwise counsel to achieve that -- passivism. End of story.

Quote:
I remain a pessimist about government action (force) and an optimist about human action.
Nice line of Libertarian rabblerousing -- but it doesn't duly credit the indisputable fact that government is a human thing also, and staffed by humans moreover. Our foes oppress us with what? -- righteous indignation, or force? Countervailing force is not wrong.