The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

3/21/2006: Moose on ice

Axlrosen suggests this set of the rescue of a moose, as well as a few others from the watermarked site here. IotD has documented quite a few of these kinds of rescues, and they are always appealing.

Now that we have a ton of bandwidth, there can be a ton of images. And in this case, the progression of the images tells the story far better than I can:

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Doing something like this gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. You can see it in the dude's face in the last image. Nice series of images, too. Thank you. I even feel warm and fuzzy inside just looking at the pics. Well kinda.
The rescuers were fortunate not to have taken a chill-dip. I'm surprised they attempted it without safety lines or something. Brave guys. Heros, if I may add.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I guess they let him out because he would be too hard to chop up with chainsaws for the freezer if they let him freeze solid ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Mmmmm....moose-flavor Icees!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i know this is wrong of me, but damn. what does this look like? a grateful moose, that's right.
Attached Images

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

LJ-that is exactly what I thought!

I love these images. I think the moose is grateful and I know the people involved are psyched.

Good on them!
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

HAHAHA LJ, i knew waht you were saying by the picture before i read what you wrote

it gave him a warm fuzzy feeling inside
Old 03-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Kagen is drunk.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Pancake Man
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Can someone tell me what the badges on their sleeves are? Cna't figure out who you would call for this kind of thing.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I guess they let him out because he would be too hard to chop up with chainsaws for the freezer if they let him freeze solid ...
I was reading some of the "winter counts" the Smithsonian has collected. Various tribes or bands of American Indians would designated one person to keep a historical record of the group by drawing a picture of the most significant thing that happened during the previous "winter". They defined a "winter" as first snow to first snow, so each "winter" was roughly a year.

Anyway, one band recorded 500 bison had fallen through the ice and become frozen in the lake. Whenever anyone needed meat, they just strolled out on the frozen lake and hacked off a piece of bison. Ate well that "winter".
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
Ubergeek
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
i know this is wrong of me, but damn. what does this look like? a grateful moose, that's right.

Okay... I'm not sure which is sicker:

1) That you thought of that... or

2) That I instantly got it, and laughed so hard I snorted my coffee all over my keyboard.

LOL
Old 03-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Ubergeek
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake Man
Can someone tell me what the badges on their sleeves are? Cna't figure out who you would call for this kind of thing.
I think they are Parks Canada. The uniform is exactly the same cut an color in any case, and the shoulder flashes look right. But I also think US Park Rangers use something similar.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Kagen is drunk.

im not drunk. im just sober-impaired.
at least you appear more attractive bri
Old 03-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
chrisinhouston
Professor

Without reposting all of the images, I'll try to add captions herewith as I see them:

1. Man walks by to see moose stuck in ice (moose is trying to be very still and avoid notice). Man says to himself, "Hey, what the hell, a moose head stuck out in the snow."

2. Sort of like the old mule and a 2x4, the man is trying to get the moose's attention. "We have ways of motivating you."

3. The guy uses the "get one for the Gipper" speech, as he tries to inspire the moose to get unstuck, "If you don't get out of this snow, I'll never be able to show my face in this place again!"

4. Game wardens arrive from a near by coffee shop. "Common Frank let's give him a sobriety test!"

5. Moose is really feeling rather embarrassed here, he's a creature of the wild and supposed to know better!

6. Officer attempts to get a urine sample as breathalizer test failed. Other officer goes for fresh coffee and donuts.

7. Moose escapes but before departing offers a bribe to the officer on the land which apparently the officer likes very much.

chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You had a good childrens book going, until you got to number 7, but then you blew it.
Or rather the moose did.
Or LJ thinks the moose did.
Or....nevermind.