The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 05-28-2004, 01:25 AM   #46
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

I kinda meant that her god spoke back to her with the whole PT Cruiser idea, now thats flibbery jibbery... My god tells me that I will win the lottery...
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:59 AM   #47
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have on occasion been disappointed that I am not the kind of psychic who is able to foresee winning lottery numbers.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:55 AM   #48
perth
Strong Silent Type

What kind of psychic are you?
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #49
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I read Tarot, Runes, and do the occasional bit of Channelling.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-28-2004, 10:04 AM   #50
perth
Strong Silent Type

Interesting. I always enjoy watching those ghost shows thay have on Discovery, etc. with the psychics who can sense presences, etc. I'm really not sure I believe in any of it, but I find it a fascinating subject. I tried my hand at reading runes in HS and college but found myself more interested in the history and mythology behind them than in actually learning how to use them.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 AM   #51
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
Interesting. I always enjoy watching those ghost shows thay have on Discovery, etc. with the psychics who can sense presences, etc. I'm really not sure I believe in any of it, but I find it a fascinating subject. I tried my hand at reading runes in HS and college but found myself more interested in the history and mythology behind them than in actually learning how to use them.
One of the tastier bits of irony for me is that they have John Edwards on Sci Fi.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #52
perth
Strong Silent Type

Well, he strikes me as a hack and a criminal of the worst kind. He preys on peoples emotions, telling them what they want to hear. It's funny that he's wrong so often, but when he gets the occasional "hit" people will believe anything he says. I believe that whether psychic sensitivities are real or not, some people genuinely believe they have them, and I really believe that he knows for a fact that he doesn't. He's just smarter than the average bear and doesn't mind making money selling snake oil.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:18 AM   #53
wolf
lobber of scimitars

John Edwards is an extremely well paid cold reader. (in case you don't know what a cold reader is ... I agree with Perth)

Old 05-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #54
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
John Edwards is an extremely well paid cold reader. (in case you don't know what a cold reader is ... I agree with Perth)
cold reader + gullible demographic = $$$
Old 05-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #55
TheLorax
Keeper of the Decorum

God just told me to go get a coke so I can make it through the afternoon.

I got one for you, my mother-in-law is getting bids for a new roof. You’d think this would be easy, but well you’d have to meet her. When we were over there for mother’s day I was idly looking through all the different bids and brochures she had I noticed that one of them had a rather prominent Jebus fish on the cover. I made some remark about it. I have to tread softly because they are Presbyterian and I’m well uh hm not.

I affected my most professional dealing with clients demeanor and pointed it out and said that what bothers me about that type of thing is that I believe that religion should be a personal and not a business matter. If he put a fish in the cover of his brochure, he did it for a reason and I would be willing to bet money that it has to do with what my daddy always calls “churching”.

She called Angie’s List. I don’t know how wide spread Angie’s List is so that may not make sense. It’s a group that tracks customer satisfaction for home repair work.

So, Christ the Adderall has worn off where was I.

Ah yes, Angie’s List informed her that he had several complaints against him, not covering roof leading to rain damage that he refused to fix, damaging gutter systems that he refused to fix, not showing up when he was supposed to. It was a hell of a rap sheet.

If I were a Christian, that kind of thing would piss me off. I mean, what kind of message does that send to people like me.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #56
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: God just told me to go get a coke so I can make it through the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheLorax
IIf I were a Christian, that kind of thing would piss me off. I mean, what kind of message does that send to people like me.
That the christfish guy must like having shitty home repair done unto him?

Old 05-29-2004, 08:34 PM   #57
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What, you don't think people (good and bad) of other faiths, use their religions to drum up business?
Old 05-29-2004, 09:09 PM   #58
marichiko

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I read Tarot, Runes, and do the occasional bit of Channelling.
Hey, Wolf, if you'll do the Tarot on me, I'll throw the I CHING for you and give you its unblemished reply if you agree to do the same.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #59
Tomas Rueda
Master of the Domain

Lj, how old is the woman to beging with?

This account gave me an idea for another thread. (if y'all don't mind, of course.(if you do, speak up: the sweaky wheel is the one that gets oiled.)
Old 05-30-2004, 07:40 PM   #60
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

she's 54. been saved for 12 years now.....i wasn;t kidding about the 30 minutes...i know all about her life now. woopee
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote