The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
rkzenrage

Those Bad Ol' Iraqis?

I'm curious, what exactly is it that is supposed to be so bad about the Iraqi people?
Saddam was our project gone bad, our fault, our mess... we did that to them, so we can't blame them for their idiot leader, not like us, we are fully to blame for our idiot leader.
Even then, they were no threat and complying with the sanctions and UN demands when we invaded.
They are not to blame for the influx of foreign terrorists, we took away all of their rights and arms, so they could not remove them if they wanted to... welcome to the American police state dream, coming to your home soon.
The Iraqi insurgency is exactly what we would do in their shoes with an occupying invader setting-up a puppet government voting to give away their natural resources and their right under international law.
They seem to be very nice and cool people caught in a crappy situation doing precisely what anyone else would do. Not bad people at all.
I'm just amazed that more are not fighting for their sovereignty and freedom.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

When we attacked Iraq, we forgot that cliche quote "be close to your friends, be even closer to your enemies".

I don't really know where the idea came, media is my guess, but for some reason America has this idea that the Iraqi people are sub-human and different from us.

It is Americas inability to look from someone else's perspective that allows us to keep others in extreme poverty and disallows us from seeing the intents of our "enemies", resulting in a loss for us since we do not understand their culture.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
rkzenrage

Good point, by the same token, since when were the Iraqi people our enemy? Which is my point and I know you were not saying they were/are... the whole thing is a joke.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

The government needed to make the Iraq and their terrorists the enemy for justification of an attack. Enemy wouldn't be the best word for the Iraqi people, horrible word actually (my bad), but it still doesn't change the fact that we look down upon them and that we don't understand their way of life.

It is that damn white supremecy thing where we think we are better than everyone else and spread (shove down throat) what works for us while ignoring every bit of evidence that suggests that it won't work.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45 View Post
The government needed to make the Iraq and their terrorists ...
Their terrorists? America created the insurgency. There was no Iraqi terrorism before that. Those Iraqi terrrorist were a creation of American wacko extremists. America only got what it wanted when America created the insurgency in 2003.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Yes, that is what acutally happened but that wasn't what was told on Fox News. The government needed to make a connection between Iraq and the terrorists and they needed to make them the enemy.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The government needed to make the Iraq and their terrorists the enemy for justification of an attack. Enemy wouldn't be the best word for the Iraqi people, horrible word actually (my bad), but it still doesn't change the fact that we look down upon them and that we don't understand their way of life.

It is that damn white supremecy thing where we think we are better than everyone else and spread (shove down throat) what works for us while ignoring every bit of evidence that suggests that it won't work.
Who's we?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
rkzenrage

Quote:
Yes, that is what acutally happened but that wasn't what was told on Fox News. The government needed to make a connection between Iraq and the terrorists and they needed to make them the enemy.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #9
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Who's we?
America.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Bullshit. You have no evidence that America hates Iraqis. As a matter of fact you can't prove the administration hates Iraqis. They say they are trying to help Iraqis, it's just not working out well.
I don't hate Iraqis. My brother doesn't hate Iraqis. Most of the returning soldiers claim they like Iraqis.

The entire thread is based on a false premise.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I'd be surprised to find that the average American thought the average Iraqi isn't scarey. Specially if they're wearing Muslim dress. Hasn't it been argued quite vehemently that someone wearing a burqa is 'suspicious' at the least?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They are only scary when they wear that shit here. Thinking they are scary is not hating them, either.
Women are suspicious, in a burka, more so.
And what do you know about the average American...there are none in the Cellar. We are all clearly above average. :p
Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

uhuh...lol if you say so Bruce.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #14
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I never said that we hate them, just that in order to justify an attack we need to make them the enemy and make it seem like we are going out of our way to help them because they are too primitive and barbaric to do it by themselves.

This racist way of thinking is why we are losing. We think we are better them so we underestimated them and their culture.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 AM   #15
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Maybe contempt is the right word?