The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

New album

I recently bought a music CD. Not a big deal usually. But this one was bought on a musician's website. With PayPal, a service I use maybe once every two or three years. I even remembered my password, which is a miracle in itself.

So anyway, the album is titled Highway Hero, by Colonel Robert Morris, a two-time Hall of Famer.

A friend had emailed me a copy of a song from that album and I liked it enough to go find the album and buy it and hear what else that artist had to offer.

All this isn't remarkable, it probably happened a million times a day. What IS remarkable is that the next day, I received a phone call from the artist himself! Not some clerk, not a functionary but the man himself. He says he likes to keep in touch with his fans.

We spend about 30 minutes chatting and getting to know one another. It turns out that we have a bit in common, careers in the military, we both like "old" country and western, mutual respect for each other (he likes truckers and I like old school C&W, not to mention people who dial their own phone calls and don't let fame go to their heads), we are both drummers, we're both ill at the time (he with a heart attack and I with a flare-up of Crohn's and a new diagnosis of Graves'. As a matter of fact, I was signing in to the emergency room when he called.

We chatted about this and that and I left him with the promise that I would let him know when I get my CD and what I thought of it. Will do. Also, he's coming out with two more albums in the future which sound like winners and I will likely be a customer for those, too.

That was the first time any music star called me and sounded like a regular guy. I've met others, Loretta Lynn and the Oak Ridge Boys to name two. LL was a nice lady and we met when she parked her tour bus near my truck and got out as I passed by walking my dog. The ORBs were okay, I guess. They signed a few autographs (I don't collect them) and waved a bit. Their driver and I got to talking about the road conditions ahead while fueling our respective rigs. I shook the hands of the ORBs as they got back on and left. Too bad I'm not a fan of their music.

Oh well, life is a journey and I just had a very interesting twist in the path.

If you want to buy Highway Hero, you may go to the artists' website here and bring your PayPal.

Brian