Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 PM   #16
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx

I agree that many kids lack discipline, but I don't see that as the root cause of "kids today". Kids are lacking in attention in general these days - they (according to the marketing of all baby related crap) are supposed to be convenient, until such time as they can be entertained by the TV or educated by their Leap pad. Then it's off to pre-daycare, day care, pre school, and school - where they are someone elses problem.

You can discipline a kid all you want, but if it isn't tempered with even greater amounts of positive reinforcement and general attention, I think the end result is yet another repeat offender.

And I see parents smacking the shit out of their kids in public all the time. It's disgusting.
Heh, I remember seeing that in the malls, stores, etc. when I was a child and remember thinking, "Sheesh, why did they act up like that knowing they'd get their butt whupped in public???" I didn't see anything wrong with it then, and I sure as hell don't see anything wrong with it now, especially when the kid is "showing out" in public, as we used to say back in the day. We're not talking abuse in it's purest sense of the word, I mean a well deserved whack on the butt when necessary (or as a last resort).

Shoot, just the thought of it kept ME in line while me and my parents were out and about!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 01-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #17
jinx
Come on, cat.

Even though I'm more then twice the weight of my larger child, I like to think I have more than size and might to my advantage in dealing with them.
What if my husband smacked me becuase he though I was acting out that the mall?
Old 01-28-2004, 06:15 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You probably still wouldn't learn.

oh cmon, if I didn't make a joke of it someone else would've
Old 01-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #19
jinx
Come on, cat.

Eh, you're probably right. But he hits like a girl....
Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #20
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Even though I'm more then twice the weight of my larger child, I like to think I have more than size and might to my advantage in dealing with them.
What if my husband smacked me becuase he though I was acting out that the mall?
I'll just say this: If you don't believe in hitting, then that's fine. Do as you see fit...if it's working then great!
However, I grew up differently, and would raise my child pretty close to the same manner that my parents raised me. This is not to say that one method is right or wrong, it's basically whatever works. Not all methods works with all kids.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
Old 01-28-2004, 09:12 PM   #21
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Eh, you're probably right. But he hits like a girl....
[flamer]but I'll scratch your eyes out like a man!

I'll hit you with my purse, too.
[/flamer]
Old 01-31-2004, 03:59 AM   #22
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

LJ said "INCONSISTENCY
if you tell your kid no, and he argues......don't cave. you'll always regret it."

EXACTAMUNDO LJ !!!! No meens NO every time , ALL the time , from both parents !!!! United front and all that !!!!

Wolf said " Psychiatric clients have the unfortunate tendency of breeding like rabbits."

That explains SO much about society these days !!!!

Jinx said "I agree that many kids lack discipline,"

I learned a neat trick in the Marines , its called PT ( physical training )
My step son was in JR High school , he is a SMART person ( he was toutering other students in calculas at the time ), but he got in trouble for doing something STUPID ( kids do that sort of stuff ) , i don't rember just what he got in trouble for . When i got home we had a talk , i told him i wasn't going to hit him but he WAS going to PAY for being stupid . I had him do push-ups , MARINE CORPS PUSH-UPS , it is a 4 count exersize ( 2 full push-ups count as 1) . I stood over him and made sure he was doing them CORRECTLY , and counting them CORRECTLY , or he had to start over !!! In a Drill instructer voice and manner !!!
After the puddle of sweat under his face was the size of a dinner plate i nelt down and said calmly to him " In life a man can be 1 of 2 ways , smart or strong . You seen to want to act stupid so I am doing what i can to make you strong ."
We have NEVER had to have this disscussion EVER again .
He is putting him self thru collage to be a Pharmisist . A fine INDOORS , lite work , fine PAYING job .
Old 01-31-2004, 12:55 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Didn't you stand on his back, Zip?
Old 02-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #24
pjshimmer
Keeper of the Decorum

Quote:
Are there people that you think should not be parents whatsoever?
yes. anyone who is dangerous to society (see list below). they may pass their bad habits to their kids

-drug users
-alcohol abusers
-criminals
-extremely selfish folks

I really don't believe these people should even live, let alone have kids. But then, it works out nicely because the world is more diverse with their existence.

Last edited by pjshimmer; 02-08-2004 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #25
juju
no one of consequence

What's wrong with being selfish?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:40 PM   #26
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm assuming that Yuhao is referring to incredibly self-centered people who forget that there are other people in the world besides themselves.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:27 PM   #27
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by pjshimmer

yes. anyone who is dangerous to society (see list below). they may pass their bad habits to their kids

-drug users
-alcohol abusers
-criminals
-extremely selfish folks

I really don't believe these people should even live, let alone have kids. But then, it works out nicely because the world is more diverse with their existence.
so what's the difference between a drug user and an alcohol user. shouldn't you have said "drug abusers"?