The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #31
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
The funny thing is that my comment wasn't even protest, I just said that the real area of contention isn't can you or can't you do it, but whether you get the financial windfalls.
By windfalls, do you mean the ones that hetero couples routinely get? Is your problem that people get windfalls by being married, or the extending of such windfalls to incorporate homosexual couples?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Dana...I think he's simply homophobic or at the very least - if it makes him feel better to think of it this way - anti gay.

His arguments about windfalls etc are simply his way of rationalizing his emotional attachment to the discussion.

If gay couples get married they should definitely be entitled to the same 'windfalls' as hetro couples. Anyone can see that.

It's not about the money for people like him. It's about exclusion.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #33
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

As to the idea of having two husbands. Does that mean I'd have twice as much spending money? If so, where do I sign up?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:53 AM   #34
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
hmmm... cut back on conversation by 50%, always another guy around when yer building something, draw straws to cover the wife's companies' holiday parties, 50% reduction in crayola check off boxes... we may be on to something.
Paint Your Wagon.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #35
Madman
has left the building.

Polygamy? Legalize? I guess, for some, it would be okay. Me? No way! Married, raised two daughters, I KNOW what these ladies are like. I lived with them - forever! God! Please! Don't! I can't handle another female in my life. I'll be good! I promise!

Incest? Yuk!!! Any way, shape, form, consenting or not!

Age difference? We don't live very long. A 30 year age gap between couples is quite a gap (Harold and Maude minus a decade or two). But, if we could live to be 1000. Now that would be different. 30 years would be like a fart in the wind. I could be 685 and my wife could be 430 - like robbing the cradle eh'?

Funny thread. I like it.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #36
SeleneRati
Come Spoon With Me

Having had a certain amount of experience (2 years) of a functional triad (2 men, 1 me), I found that two men get along much better than two women do.

I wouldn't mind another "wife" in the house, as long as she and I had some ground rules...mainly, I'm the boss
- Robert Fritz
SeleneRati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #37
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeleneRati
Having had a certain amount of experience (2 years) of a functional triad (2 men, 1 me), ..
Wow, how did that work?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #38
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
Incest? Yuk!!! Any way, shape, form, consenting or not!
Yes, but is 'yuck' any grounds for illegality?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #39
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Maybe not. But genetic deformities in ensuing offspring might be.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #40
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

then we should arrest mothers who drink/smoke/do drugs while pregnant on assault charges? All can cause defects in the baby after all...
Old 11-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #41
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
I don't think large groups containing multiple men and women together would ever take off because that's already been tried in numerous 'free love' sects. These always seem to degenerate into abuse of most members, with a few powerful men and women using the others essentially as slaves. With media coverage and application of law these would be forced to disband fairly quickly I think.

Actually, multiple men and women together is how I think it works best. My SO and I have discussed this thoroughly. If he is allowed another girlfriend, then I also can have another mate as well. We know that the two of us will be the main focus, but as long as we can handle more relationships, what is wrong with that? We have dappled in relationships with others, but we have yet to find others who share the same views as us and so we do not have outside girlfriends/boyfriends.

As I said before, what helps the relationship to survive is the ebb and flow of the power. We strive to be equal. There will be times when he gets the power and times when I have it. But for the most part we are equals and stand the right to veto any prospective mate. So if he wanted to date another girl that I just couldn't stand, I could veto his ability to date her. We are honest and faithful to each other unless there is explicit permission given. He can do the same with me.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #42
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Maybe not. But genetic deformities in ensuing offspring might be.
So same sex incest is ok, because there'll be no offspring. And it's ok to fuck your mom if you use a rubber. Got it.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #43
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
then we should arrest mothers who drink/smoke/do drugs while pregnant on assault charges? All can cause defects in the baby after all...
In the case of drugs, there's already legal precedent for it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:28 PM   #44
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Actually, multiple men and women together is how I think it works best. My SO and I have discussed this thoroughly. If he is allowed another girlfriend, then I also can have another mate as well. We know that the two of us will be the main focus, but as long as we can handle more relationships, what is wrong with that? We have dappled in relationships with others, but we have yet to find others who share the same views as us and so we do not have outside girlfriends/boyfriends.

As I said before, what helps the relationship to survive is the ebb and flow of the power. We strive to be equal. There will be times when he gets the power and times when I have it. But for the most part we are equals and stand the right to veto any prospective mate. So if he wanted to date another girl that I just couldn't stand, I could veto his ability to date her. We are honest and faithful to each other unless there is explicit permission given. He can do the same with me.
As my man and I read your post we were thinking "hmm...sounds familiar." Sounds like you two have similar views to ours.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #45
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
I suggest reading Under The Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by John Krakauer (or however the fuck it's spelled). Very interesting, very insightful look at Fundamentalist Mormons.
I have read this book twice, plus several about the Salamander Letter scandal, Magic and the Mormon World View, Ashamed of Joseph, When Mormons Call, and most importantly, Mormons and the History of the American West. I have also read the Book of Mormon and a book I got at the Deseret Book Store where a professor at Brigham Young believes he proves that ancient Maya symbolism reflects the presence of the people Joseph Smith invented. I forget the names of about 5 other books I have. All this started when I learned my uncle had finally caved in and joined the Mormon Church, I knew what was coming our way and wanted to be prepared. To be sure, the Mormons are not allowed to own or read books that are not "faith promoting", which makes me, a non-Mormon, the most knowledgeable person in the family concerning this cult.