The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
They're like the river version of West Side Story. Gaines thought he was badass. When I finally found him, after three days of searching and missing him, he was a perfect angel. For like 2 days. Love that little brat.
Our tomcat thinks he's badass too, but really he's just chicken shit coated in catfluff.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #32
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

lol...and Tajjy, the girl, plays all sweet and put-upon. But I've seen her chase Gaines. Funny cats. Tajjy will be seventeen in April. Wow.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #33
Aliantha

Cats are a source of great entertainment at our place. Even though I grumble about their hair and stuff, I think it'd be less like home without them.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #34
Shawnee123

I know. Lately Gaines has been a total ass...but darnit I love him and they are such great company.

They make me laugh and I have someone to talk to. I guess I am Crazy Cat Lady. lol
Old 02-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
Aliantha

You, me, cloud, SG at least. I know there's more, but they don't come to mind right now.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #36
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Buy a mountain lion. Dogs HATE those.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #37
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I love cats. They taste like chicken.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #38
Shawnee123

Bobcat Goldthwait: I love "insert weird food here", it tastes like chicken. So buy a fucking chicken it's the cheapest fucking meat you can buy.

Last edited by Shawnee123; 02-15-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #39
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I like cats, but I'm a dog person through and through.
I would talk to the neighbors first, but if nothing changes, complain.
If they were letting it lose but standing right with it, keeping an eye on it, preventing it from bothering neighbors and such, then I would be fine with that. Since you say they aren't though, then definitely cannot be allowed to go on. Many reasons too, other than danger to people/kids. There is a danger to the dog itself, if they aren't with it: then they aren't cleaning up its messes, and it is probably annoying neighbors.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #40
Shawnee123

True. Don't they worry that it might get hit by a car or something?

It's laziness in pet ownership. I hate that.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #41
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Cloud, I have to join the "talk politely to the neighbor first" crowd. I have numerous dogs, all of which are licensed, microchipped, up to date on shots (tags on collars) and each has an ID tag as well. None are permitted to roam freely, they are kept inside a fenced yard.

Even if the dog is the nicest dog in the world, allowing it to roam freely can be dangerous to it's health and safety. It can be run over (some people like to run up their "score"), meet rabid wildlife, eat poison, be stolen and sold in Mexico or simply adopted right off the street.

Try being nice first, this way they can avoid trouble with management and the law. If that doesn't work, the landlord is the next step and finally, animal control.

My neighbor has three mean dogs chained outside. One day the mastiff got loose and chased a man several blocks. The dog returned without the guy's pants but animal control showed up two days later to talk to them about building a fence (the fence went up the next day) and the consequences of loose dogs.

Surprisingly, my momma Shih-Tzu took on this same dog once and sent it running for home and safety. She has learned to be aggressive to protect her babies, food and bones from marauding Weimaraners and pit bulls.

It's for their (and their pets') own good.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #42
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

If all else fails, inadvertently drop a whole package of ExLax in front of the offending dog shortly before the owners call it home. Sheldon's solution is more humane.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #43
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

I'm not sure if I would speak to the dog owner myself or not. You'll have to make a judgement call about the owners. Many pet owners become offended if it is suggested that not everyone loves little Fido/Fifi running around, barking, playing, knocking people down and giving them kisses all over their face as the victim laughs and enjoys the experience. The possibility is there for the dog owner to harbor resentment towards you for bringing it up.

Perhaps a photo of the loose dog, printed up in flyer form and annonymously posted in the laundry or mailbox room with a reminder about the complex's leash policy will be enough. If not, speak with management. That is what THEY are there and paid for to enforce and handle. IF this dog was only escaping occasionally and being immediately searched for, I wouldn't be so concerned...but this seems to be a regular occurance.

Bailing their dog out of Animal Control will also get their attention when it costs them money.

Or throw something on the dog that the owner would have to clean off: water, soda, pudding (not chocolate!), yogurt. Try not to get it in the animal's eyes, but I would want it to land in an area the animal can't easily clean/eat the evidence, like on the back of the head, neck and shoulders and the owner will have to be inconvenienced to clean their pet. If the owner confronts you, you could easily say the dog startled/scared you or made you lose your balance and drop whatever you had in your hand on the dog.

Keep in mind, this isn't the dog's fault, it is the owner's fault.

Two years ago, a neighbor's Basset mix and Lab mix were getting out and coming here to bark at my horse. I returned the dogs several times and let the owners know that if the dogs got into the horse's corral, she was an accurate kicker of bouncing basketballs and a dog's head wouldn't be much of a problem if they got too close. I also told them I would feel bad, but I would not be responsible for any dog vet bills, but if their dog injured my horse while she was in her corral, they would be presented with my vet bill to pay.
They kept the dogs in for a few days, but they escaped their yard again. I returned them after dark that evening. Very early in the morning I woke and I heard them barking at my horse, but it was 3 or 4am, I was tired and knew my horse could take care of herself. When I got up, their dog was dead. He had been hit and killed in the road in front of our house.
I felt bad for not going outside to get the dog home.
Less than 2 weeks later, their lab mix was killed in the road in front of their house.

Don't feel bad about inconveniencing the dog's owner. It is for the dog's safety and well-being that you are complaining.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 AM   #44
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

You could always do my what bitch of neighbour did and leave a note in the mailbox.....something along the lines of "my vicious dog marauding around the neighbourhood".

I would of preferred she spoke to me, instead I left a note in her mailbox stating that I had fixed my gate (it was broken by the skip man and fixed that nite), now it was her turn to stop her yappy dogs yapping all nite

Clyde's a big dog, I hate the thought of him getting out. Mainly because if some stupid little yappy dog thinks it can take him on, he's of the *fight first* mind when it comes to male dogs.

I used to get shitty that the dogs across the road used to come into MY yard and chase MY cats.....but a quiet word to the neighbours and they made a fece to keep them enclosed.

If you think it will make a difference, I would speak to them, some people just dont care though.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #45
glatt

Sounds like you don't even know which neighbor it is. Call the apartment management. If they don't take care of the problem, call animal control.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote