The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-25-2006, 10:32 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Help please -- Baby Quilts

My lady love has set me a quest: find a seller of baby quilts that donates a portion of their proceeds to charity.

I've looked and looked, with no success. I appeal to you all (or maybe I don't, but you're willing to help out anyway). You know, many hands make light work, many eyes make...Mississippi. Whatever. She is looking to buy a several dozen, and they must be quilts, not receiving blankets. Something plushy with a bound edge. Her budget is $25-40 per quilt. Timeframe? As soon as possible, of course.

I would be indebted to you. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Around here there are a number of thrift shops whose proceeds go to local shelters and such. Maybe something like that?
Old 08-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

That may be a tall order without some serious looking around...

I make quilts and I could not afford to make baby quilts for $25-40 unless I used the cheapie-cheap fabrics or purchased bulk/sale fabrics. Most quilt guilds will have a group of ladies (and sometimes men!) who make quilts specifically for donation, perhaps you could search under "Quilt Guilds" to find a group that could satisfy this request.
hh
Old 08-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Flint
Snowflake

Sorry, but I read this out loud to my wife, and she laughed when I got to the $25-40 part. (!!!) I hope you can prove her wrong...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Here's a link with a list of links of charity quilt agencies: http://www.dotdigital.com/sewingcharity/recipients.html

I'd be very surprised if you found something in your price range. Some of the ones I saw online run $100-500 just for the labor.

Stormie
Old 08-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
glatt

Maybe she's looking for a "quilt" and not an actual quilt. You know, one of those blankets with the printed pattern instead of patches sewn together.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Or perhaps she means knit/crochet? Those can be found for much cheaper too.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Maybe she's looking for a "quilt" and not an actual quilt. You know, one of those blankets with the printed pattern instead of patches sewn together.
A quilt is padding layered between two pieces of cloth and sewn together. Think quilted jacket.
You're thinking of a "Patchwork" quilt where one of the pieces of cloth is made up of a zillion little pieces sewn together, which takes lots of time and tea.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

There are quilts that can be made out of what I call "Cheater Cloth", where the quilt pattern is printed on the fabric, but there is no cutting/sewing of pieces, you just quilt around your fabric's printed design...or square/diamond stitch across the whole thing...or buy pre-quilted fabric and put a border on it.

I prefer to cut/sew to choose the design, make the fabrics 'sing' and let the design shine. Cheater cloths tend to limit, IMO, but they can be used to make mass quantities of quick and cheap quilts. But then I tend to think they LOOK quick and cheap, too.
hh

...here is a cheater cloth, but it was 'spendy' fabric but very nicely done...

...a quilt made-to-order for my nephew who wanted dinosaurs... (it took nearly 4+ yards of fabric just to cut out the 18 dinosaur shapes, not a 'cheap' quilt, though very simple)

...one suitable for a young girl... (still simple in design, but the fabric 'sings')
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
kgg
A Friend Indeed

Wow. I feel sorry for her. Having been laughed at when looking for something that will help others.

I have seen these quilts before. They are not patchwork, they are the quilted fabric and are beautiful and not very expensive. Good luck to BigV's wife in her quest. Wish I could help but no such place around here.