The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

How do you flirt?

My butt/lunchline joke got me thinking. If someone was to flirt with me, would I even notice? When I think someone is attractive, turns out I can't look 'em in the eye*. I also tend to and laugh a lot. Unless I've been drinking. Then I'll be more bold and actually look at them, maybe even smile, but approach them? Bwahahahaha, you must be joking.

Needless to say, if a guy doesn't approach me and pretty much be obnoxious about his flirting, I don't have a clue he's interested. But if he does, and he trips my trigger, look for lots of blushing and fidgeting.

So, how do you act around someone you find attractive? Are there specific things you do to flirt with them and gauge their interest in you? Spill the beans. And maybe, if we know what the heck you are trying to do, you'll get a little more reaction from those of us flirtationally challenged types.

Oh, and is opening the door for a woman just a ploy to check out her ass?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I don't flirt either. Well I don't think I do. I don't like obnoxious come on lines but when a guy approaches me and looks me direct in the eye...I know in a instant if there is a connection or not. If I return a mutual 'eye glaze' then it's all but history then.

oh and it IS all in the gaze too. I value a well placed look in the eye above the smoothest mover via verbage. Which is a turn off to me.

That prize....that connection appeal. That wham ...wow...firework thing.... happens once in a blue moon though. I usually just bide my time by not caring much.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
bbro
Insert witty comment here

You know, I have been told recently that I am a HUGE flirt. I never thought of it that way, though. I like talking to people, usually I am at the bar, which is populated more by men than women by themselves, so I talk to random people. Whether or not I find them attractive. Apparently this means that I want them all to jump my bones.

It has to blatant for me to know that they are actually flirting. There was one guy who completmented me all night and paid my tab, but I know fro a good source that he pays a lot of people's tabs and he even told me that he always looks for someone older than him, rather than younger. I was like - ok, cool. The next night he says that if things with the person who has left my life don't work out, that he would like to take me out. (This is a whole different problem). That was the first indication that he was flirting!!
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
is opening the door for a woman just a ploy to check out her ass?
I like to think I can genuinely do something nice for somebody and still enjoy a morsel of eye candy. Is that so horrible?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
LabRat

I'll rephrase...

If you open a door for woman, do you tend to check out her caboose as she passes?

And for the record, I don't buy pants that don't flatter my ass, so I surely don't mind someone enjoying the view if they wish.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #6
breakingnews
Q_Q

I'm an enormous flirt. I can't help it - I love talking to girls, making them laugh, seeing them smile. It makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I don't necessarily act differently around a girl I find attractive, I'm just a little more attentive to what she says. i.e., I'm more apt to try and make a joke or reply in an intelligent/witty manner. Make her come back for more.

Oh, and I open doors for girls so I can make eye contact. She inevitably looks at me before walking through the door. Give a little smile, a cute wink or something. Then I stare longingly at her luscious behind.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
If you open a door for woman, do you tend to check out her caboose as she passes?
Of course.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

How do I flirt?

Successfully.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I am clueless. I need my wife to tell me when a woman is coming on to me most of the time. There are rare exceptions, but mostly, I've *always* found it inconceivable that a woman might be interested in me.

Nevertheless, my wife assures me that I *do* flirt, but frankly, I'm almost always unaware of it. It seems that my style of flirtation, according to her, consists of actually paying attention to what a woman is saying, responding with a smile or some appearance of unfeigned interest, and a bit of body language. I can only assume she means when I grab my crotch, or do the index finger going in and out of the thumb and index finger circle formed by my other hand...
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
How do I flirt?

Successfully.
Cookie!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Don't worry Els, my husband is clueless about his flirting too. He always thought he was just being friendly. One day, back when we were dating, he came home and said, "We should hang out sometime with Amanda, she really likes you."

"Huh? I barely know Amanda."

"I know, but she asks about you everytime I see her, 'How are things going with your girlfriend, how are you two doing...?'"

"Honey. That's because she's interested in you and is desperately hoping that someday the answer will be, 'Oh no, actually, we broke up.'"

"What?!"

"Yeah, she's been desperate to jump your bones since long before you were dating me. I thought you knew. She definitely does not want to hang out with me, I assure you."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
LabRat

Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
Elspode

Yeah, that sounds pretty familiar, alright. Sigh. When I think of how much more trim I could have had over the years had I only had one damn clue.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
glatt

You can't go thinking that way. Maybe they were attracted to you precisely because you didn't have a clue. It was endearing to them. If you were more suave or hip or whatever, they may have been repulsed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #15
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
It was endearing to them. If you were more suave or hip or whatever, they may have been repulsed.
Well, as incompetent as I am at being suave and/or hip, I think repulsed would have been the gentlest outcome I could have imagined. Bonus!