The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #121
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

These, mostly Jordanian schoolbooks didn't stand in the way to make peace with Jordan. Egypt had and still has lotsa antisemitic papers, still there's an active peace between Israel and Egypt.

This should be a good indication that once there is intention on both sides and partners to attain peace, the textbooks cannot stand in the way. The Israeli occupation authority used the Jordanian textbooks for 30 years, and they claim that they removed the “hate education” from them before reprinting them. Unfortunately, some of the things they removed had nothing to do with hate. Displacing the word “Palestine” wherever it occurred in the textbooks by the word “Israel” no matter in what context or period in time, was so ridiculous that it became a laughing matter amongst students and teachers alike, (as an example, in the History textbook of the ninth grade about the crusades, the text “When the Crusades came to Palestine in the 11th century “ became “ when the Crusades came to Israel”). Other displacements were more subtle but dangerous. Learning such values as “valor”, “ love of one’s land”, “sacrifice”, and similar values in reading books is important for children, and they cannot be described as “hate material”, yet many statements and poems with such values were removed. If anything, they indicated bad intentions on the part of Israel in mis-educating Palestinian children.

Quote:
Mine are developers.
Yours? Anywayz I thought they called them "Settlers"?

Last edited by Hippikos; 08-29-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Hippikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #122
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Obviously yet another Zionist Conspiracy to Suppress the Truth.
Which is MaggieL acknowledging (but not admitting) that she knows the propaganda and did not know facts from other perspectives.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #123
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
The international community has given billions for those schools. But by 2001, it was tired of them teaching nothing but hate. Canada:
So you quote a Canadian Christian hate promoting organization as proof?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #124
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Which is MaggieL acknowledging (but not admitting) that she knows the propaganda and did not know facts from other perspectives.
Which is actually MaggieL finding 'Kos slagging Bruce for being a "co-owner" hysterically funny.

By the way, "facts" that have heavy perspective dependencies have little claim on actually being facts as opposed to interpretations.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #125
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Er, good point, I hadn't noticed that.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:53 AM   #126
Hippikos
Flocci Non Facio

Quote:
Which is actually MaggieL finding 'Kos slagging Bruce for being a "co-owner" hysterically funny.
Er... not slagging, just observing.

Quote:
By the way, "facts" that have heavy perspective dependencies have little claim on actually being facts as opposed to interpretations.
Funny, I already predicted this answer in my earlier message, albeit from her sista Brianna: "Of course Brianna would call these statistics antisemitic, wouldn't she?".
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #127
headsplice
Relaxed

Let me see if I can get this straight...
The Palestinians are both the innocent victims of Israeli aggression and terrorists who kill Israeli civilians.
The Israeli's are trying to defend their homeland from people who blow themselves up in markets by dropping using full-blown military incursions into sovereign territory.
And who again are the people that are 'right' and 'good' in this situation?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #128
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippikos
Funny, I already predicted this answer in my earlier message, albeit from her sista Brianna: "Of course Brianna would call these statistics antisemitic, wouldn't she?".
That's quite a stretch from what I actually said to claiming that your prediction is fulfilled.

As you note I'm not Brianna, furthermore I'm not her sista in any sense (that's another howler, there) and I didn't call anything anti-Semitic; I simply pointed out that something that is highly dependant on perspective isn't a fact, it's an interpretation. Of course, other than that you're batting 1.000.

Facts don't come from perspectives. tw is very fond of referring to his opinons as "facts", perhaps in the hope it will spare them close inspection. You know he's entered 100% incoherent mode when he starts foaming about "these are the facts".

Last edited by MaggieL; 08-29-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #129
MaggieL

Quote:
Bruce was recently elected co-moderator mostly because he seemed to be one of the least loony users who was willing to do the job. Wolf was the other, as I recall. If you really want to find my "sista" here, wolf would be one good candidate.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #130
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
If you really want to find my "sista" here, wolf would be one good candidate.
That is quite touching!! Thanks!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #131
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Then you're not being very observant, as it happens.

When it comes down to it, nobody "owns" The Cellar. Well, okay, UT is the owner/operator/sysadmin in the sense that it's his stuff ... but the real ownership of The Cellar is in the hands of the people who participate, lurk, or visit occasionally here.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #132
MaggieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Well, okay, UT is the owner/operator/sysadmin in the sense that it's his stuff ...
It's probably worth mentioning in this context that in something like a dozen years of being here, I have never known UT to take advantage of his sysop privs to bias a discussion. In fact, I seem to recall that one reason he called for election of additional moderators (other than to share the routine work of spamkilling) was to reduce the mere appearance that being the current owner of the Cellar gave him any kind of a special halo as a Cellar user.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #133
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I PM'd H-kos - I strongly suspected he was European, and I cheated and looked at his IP address which verified it. I don't know if that qualifies as using privs to bias the discussion, but it was bad karma anyway, and I apologized to him.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #134
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmmm...... Eurpean is the new black, UT?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #135
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, American.