The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 11-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
Billy
Professor

Zen

I found a good English website for Zen. There are lots of good learning materials. The important point is that the man balance with the nature.
Attached Images

Last edited by Billy; 11-13-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Great! Now Billy's working for The Man...damn The Man!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
Billy
Professor

Thanks. Zen is the good Philosophy for life. However, there are less and less Chinese people knowing it.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Okay...I suspected that you might not get that...

"The Man" is a reference to those that hold the power, or the structure of power. For example..."The Man is trying to hold me back." The simple translation of this is, "Those that are in power don't want me to succeed."

The phrase was apparently originated in the 1960s by African Americans.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Mystic Rythm
Banned

It does not hold at meaning!

Actually, Zen was intended to maintain the balance between man and nature, the profoundity of powers at par. But since we r way too ruthless with nature, there is no meaning left to Zen.
Mystic Rythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Rythm
Actually, Zen was intended to maintain the balance between man and nature, the profoundity of powers at par. But since we r way too ruthless with nature, there is no meaning left to Zen.
I think that in time science will bring us full circle back towards balance. As systems studies continue, systemic balance will be shown to be vital.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
Ah, Grasshopper, there is your mistake. Zen has no inherant meaning. It simply IS, just as everything else simply IS. One studies Zen for no other reason than to study Zen. It is the wrong path to believe there is some difference between "man" and "nature." This is dualistic thinking. There is only "the One." Man IS nature.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
Billy
Professor

Zen is abstract. In old China, the Shamen and Taoists need many years to learn the Zen. Everyone can know a little zen, but it is difficult to do by zen.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore

The phrase was apparently originated in the 1960s by African Americans.
Don't think so. That expression is older than I am.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:27 AM   #10
Mystic Rythm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Ah, Grasshopper, there is your mistake. Zen has no inherant meaning. It simply IS, just as everything else simply IS. One studies Zen for no other reason than to study Zen. It is the wrong path to believe there is some difference between "man" and "nature." This is dualistic thinking. There is only "the One." Man IS nature.

BLAH BLAH BLAH! JUST SPEAKING LIKE QUEEN OF STUPIDITY WONT FETCH U ANYWHERE. DUALITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN EXISTENT IN EACH AND EVERY HUMAN ASPECT. THIS DUALITY OF MAN HAS SEPRATED HIM FROM THE BASIC BUT MOST POWERFUL OF INTELLECTUALS. ONCE THE DUALITY IS VANISHED, MAN IS NOT A MAN, HE IS BEYOND IT, LIKE INFINITY, LIKE ZEN.
Mystic Rythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:18 AM   #11
perth
Strong Silent Type

Mystic, you're the "Queen of Stupidity" here. Let's run down the list:

1. You simply don't grasp the concept of caps lock
2. You can't spell "rhythm"
3. Words like "be" and "you" entirely escape you.

Marichiko is one of the only people here who didn't react with open hostility to your arrival. The fact that you're burning that bridge again speaks to your own stupidity.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
marichiko

Quote:
BLAH BLAH BLAH! JUST SPEAKING LIKE QUEEN OF STUPIDITY WONT FETCH U ANYWHERE. DUALITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN EXISTENT IN EACH AND EVERY HUMAN ASPECT. THIS DUALITY OF MAN HAS SEPRATED HIM FROM THE BASIC BUT MOST POWERFUL OF INTELLECTUALS. ONCE THE DUALITY IS VANISHED, MAN IS NOT A MAN, HE IS BEYOND IT, LIKE INFINITY, LIKE ZEN.
Hostility won't "fetch you anywhere", either. Don't preach about something you know nothing of. According to Buddhist belief, duality is merely a delusion we have about our small self versus the greater Self (or atman in the Hindu). We are all inter-dependent - every living being. Your statement that "this duality of man has seperated him from the most basic but powerful of intellectuals" makes no sense in either Western or Eastern philosophy. Go look at a piece of paper and see within that paper the clouds and rain. Once you can do that, maybe you'll have something of worth to contribute to a discussion of Zen. Your hostility and idiosyncratic syntax were old from the very first post you inflicted upon us here.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Mystic Rythm:

Anyone who truly understands Zen would instinctively know better than to urinate in the pool in which you swim as this upsets the delicate balance between the self and the pool which is life. The pool will surely seek to restore that balance at the expense of the fucktard who caused the problem.

Get it, dumbass?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #14
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Ahhh grasshopper. Confucius say there is no wrong path especially when it comes to true nature.....leave the moralistic terms to whitey. Oh wait sorry, that's taoism.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippant
Ahhh grasshopper. Confucius say there is no wrong path especially when it comes to true nature.....leave the moralistic terms to whitey. Oh wait sorry, that's taoism.

mistake=moralistic?